Not sure what to do?

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This website is dedicated to the Hawaii Karate Kodanshakai. I would consider any of these karate dojos. Some of these places like Hikari no dojo have a karate history that goes back over 100 years. People like Choki Motobu walked through the doors of these buildings.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is a very active BJJ club. Not Relson Gracie's school, but one run by a couple of his black belts. I'd throw up Relson's schools webpage but its down for now.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here's a partial list of whats offered...

I'm overwhelmed. I'm going to stop this now...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here's a partial list of whats offered...

I'm overwhelmed. I'm going to stop this now...

That list reads like the San Francisco yellowpages.

Personally, I'd check out the lua first, because that might be a rare opportunity.

If I decided to not train in that, I'd go with the Chinese stuff, but that's just where my own interests lie.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess, in order to be productive, I could post some websites of things that I'm interested in and get some comments.

Sure!

As much as I'd love to find Mr. Miyagi up in Kaaawa, I think I'm going to start with something more commercial just to get my feet wet in that scene.

Yeah, that's probably realistic at first.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This website is dedicated to the Hawaii Karate Kodanshakai. I would consider any of these karate dojos. Some of these places like Hikari no dojo have a karate history that goes back over 100 years. People like Choki Motobu walked through the doors of these buildings.

Wow, too cool! You do have to check out the lua school, though. What a unique opportunity!

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks for everyones replies so far.

Part of my dillema is that I've trained up to 3rd dan in Tang Doo Do and I'm not really sure how much stuff I want to relearn when it comes to karate. I've been around the block long enough to know what I'm really interested in...which is developing the kata that I do know and learning some really effective bunkai.

With that being said, I'd like to find a couple of okinawan karateka to train with, but not neccessarily test and grade with.

I am interested in kobudo and other weapons. I think that is something I could really get into...perhaps even compete!

Hawaii has a huge kendo federation. This is something that I've wanted to do for a long time, but never really had the opportunity. Maybe I could use that to build some relationships and perhaps get introduced some of the really cool very traditional koryu arts that are present in Hawaii.

I'm also interested in kenjutsu, but I don't know much about organizations or styles to really know what I'm looking at.

This dojo is fairly close to my house. Only one town down the road.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you wanted to stay close to your TSD, I would look for some Okinawan style of kempo or karate.

If you want to do something new, I would look for BJ Penn's school of JJ.

If it was me, I wouldn't go into another striking system that wasn't related (kata etc) because that would probably be only back-tracking from what you already know; what could it teach you that you don't already know? That's why I suggested the Okinawan styles - find a teacher who teaches the same kata that TSD uses; that will expand and amplify your previous training

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Part of my dillema is that I've trained up to 3rd dan in Tang Doo Do and I'm not really sure how much stuff I want to relearn when it comes to karate. I've been around the block long enough to know what I'm really interested in...which is developing the kata that I do know and learning some really effective bunkai.

Well, when I started training with my sifu, I began with taiji. After a while, I expressed an interest in learning an external art, since I knew he had a background in several. I suggested that I'd be interested in learning some Shaolin longfist, or perhaps White Crane. He knew about my kenpo background, and said that Shaolin would be the most similar, and White Crane would be quite a different thing altogether. I also knew that White Crane is his "family" art, as he learned it from his uncle.

I said that it seemed to me that if White Crane is really different, then that is what I ought to do. He felt that was a good decision.

Why would you train in something else, just to do the same thing? If you want to train in something else, do something that is different. Whether it's a completely different combat arena like striking vs. grappling, or just a very different methodology as White Crane proved to be compared to kenpo, it seems to me that doing something different is what you ought to do. That's how you broaden your perspective and gain new insights.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If it was me, I wouldn't go into another striking system that wasn't related (kata etc) because that would probably be only back-tracking from what you already know; what could it teach you that you don't already know?

In my opinion, quite a lot. Some things are surprisingly different, even tho they are primarily striking arts.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are so many great martial arts to train in out here in Hawaii, that I just can't pick. Due to family, job, school, and other stuff, I'm probably only going to be able to focus on one at a time...and then, I want to stick with it long enough so that I can actually learn something.

So, here's where I sit. I could do what everyone else does and do MMA/BJJ. It is HUGE over here, with lots of great gyms and schools just about everywhere.

I could go back to doing FMA, just about any style you can think of has representation over here and lots of the teachers are the original people who brought it over from the Fillipines.

I could practice karate. Korean karate. Japanese karate. Okinawan karate. There's like six or seven or more different styles in each national flavor to pick from.

Right now my background is in Tang Soo Do and I would like to carry that forward to a certain extent, in my small school Mauna Kula, but I'm sure that I'm not going to be able to learn what I want to learn from the TSD instructors here. I'm more interested in the japanese or okinawan versions...so I can perhaps incorporate some of that into what I already do.

Or maybe I just need to start over see things with a beginner's mind again. Not sure what to do...

Seeing that you're in Hawaii, I'd check out some of the Kajukenbo schools there. :)

Latest Discussions