Canadian Bus Attack!

kailat

Green Belt
Reaction score
PORTAGE LA PRAIRIE, Manitoba, Canada -- A man aboard a Greyhound bus repeatedly stabbed and then decapitated a fellow passenger, witnesses said Thursday.

The man was arrested for the killing, which occurred Wednesday night aboard a bus traveling from Edmonton, Alberta, to Winnipeg, Manitoba, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police said in a statement.
Authorities declined to name the attacker and victim, and provided no other details about the attack.

Full story

Last edited by a moderator:

naneek

Green Belt
Reaction score
oh my god! that is just shocking that some one could do something like that with no apparent provocation and no regard for the consequences for himself, obviously the man has severe mental problems!!

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
There really had to be something wrong with the attacker- drugs, mental disorder, or who knows what.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
well no matter the reason sounds like a really good reason for capital punishment. that individual is to dangerous to keep alive.... but then Canada is a very liberal nation that way, so I guess they figure not having any executions is worth the life of several guards or other people.

lemon_meringue

Green Belt
Reaction score
That really is bizzare, the man must have been on something. And the victim only 19? Tragic.

temagami

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
We're reeling about this story in Canada.... Apparently the first stabs went intot he chest then throat - by the time an onlooker could even register what was happening in his/her brain - nothing could be done. But taunting the police with his.... ugh.. his poor family perhaps we should kill this thread out of respect for the victim's family.

And yes... many Canadians wish we had the death penalty - torture is too kind for this nut.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
there are situations where the death penalty is appropriate, in my judgement (i am Canadian). As of this morning the mother of this boy, the victim, is unaware of what happened. she is on an Alaskan cruise and so far unreachable!!

marlon

allenjp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What's tragic is nobody bothered to help this guy. I guess 37 people plus the driver weren't enough to subdue this whack-job.

What I read said that the passenger that was sitting in front of them said the attacker showed no emotion, that it was like "a robot" stabbing the guy. With the noise inside a travelling bus, probably noone even realised what was going on until it was too late. And the victim was asleep when it happened...

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What's tragic is nobody bothered to help this guy. I guess 37 people plus the driver weren't enough to subdue this whack-job.

With no indication that it was about to happen what could you do? By the time anyone figured out what was going on the guy was probably dead. They stopped the bus, got everyone off and sealed him inside until police arrived, trying to jump in probably would have just resulted in more injuries.

The assailant is in custody and has been charged with 2nd degree murder, other charges may follow. http://winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/story/4207100p-4799431c.html

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tragic indeed. This incident will affect us all in more ways than emotional and mental shocks.
Having been passenger on Greyhounds several times I know that it can be a volatile environment after several hours in a not so comfortable seat and chattering passengers who may not have showered in several days, the whine of the engine, crying kids, etc. Not like that on a plane. Security for buses are non-existent in many stations. Anyone can get aboard with ANYTHING, be it knives, guns, whatever! I've personally seen fights break out on buses and seen unruly passengers get thrown off in the middle of nowhere by the drivers (bully for them!!).
I would imagine that we'll be seeing airport type (weapons) screening soon here in the U.S. (if it's not there already -- it's been 3 years since I was on my last Greyhound), possibly a marshal or armed (private) security guard.
You don't expect this type of violence on a bus, but then nobody expected the violence that the 9/11 terrorist committed on the planes before they flew them into the buildings either.

What's sad is that they haven't contacted the mother (probably by now) who is on an enjoyable Alaskan cruise thinking all is right with the world and that her son is coming home. I wouldn't want to be the one to tell her when she disembarks from the ship. How can you console something like that?

Mentally ill? I dare say. Robotic, silent ... something snapped quietly inside the man's head, or the last vestiges of his meds wore off during the bus ride. Will he get the death penalty? Certainly deserves so and is a definite threat to our societies (U.S. and Canadian... and the world for that matter). His victim could've been anyone on the bus. The young man was simply at random. That he's not saying anything allows him the charge of 2nd degree murder because there's nothing that shows premeditation.

All the more reason to learn SD/MA, you just don't know about people.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Tragic story. This is perfect example of why you never let your guard down when using public transportation.

Latest Discussions