Not sure what to do?

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are so many great martial arts to train in out here in Hawaii, that I just can't pick. Due to family, job, school, and other stuff, I'm probably only going to be able to focus on one at a time...and then, I want to stick with it long enough so that I can actually learn something.

So, here's where I sit. I could do what everyone else does and do MMA/BJJ. It is HUGE over here, with lots of great gyms and schools just about everywhere.

I could go back to doing FMA, just about any style you can think of has representation over here and lots of the teachers are the original people who brought it over from the Fillipines.

I could practice karate. Korean karate. Japanese karate. Okinawan karate. There's like six or seven or more different styles in each national flavor to pick from.

Right now my background is in Tang Soo Do and I would like to carry that forward to a certain extent, in my small school Mauna Kula, but I'm sure that I'm not going to be able to learn what I want to learn from the TSD instructors here. I'm more interested in the japanese or okinawan versions...so I can perhaps incorporate some of that into what I already do.

Or maybe I just need to start over see things with a beginner's mind again. Not sure what to do...

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would go to a few classes, talk to the instructors - and possibly more importantly, a few of the students - and find places where you like the atmosphere, without regard to the style, and then go from there. When you have a list of places that you like the feel of, start doing more in-depth research into them and then decide. You may find a dojang you fall in love with, in a style you wouldn't have considered any other way.

Have fun!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, here's where I sit. I could do what everyone else does and do MMA/BJJ. It is HUGE over here, with lots of great gyms and schools just about everywhere.

I could go back to doing FMA, just about any style you can think of has representation over here and lots of the teachers are the original people who brought it over from the Fillipines.

I could practice karate. Korean karate. Japanese karate. Okinawan karate. There's like six or seven or more different styles in each national flavor to pick from.

I don't know what to say! You have me green with envy, but like you I'd still just have to pick one or maybe two to train and would be frustrated.

Picking BJJ is an excellent idea for anyone--we all need to work on our ground game, and if you haven't done it then you honestly don't know what you're missing. Picking Karate would let you see more of the basis of TKD and to a lesser extent TSD. Picking the FMAs would really sharpen your weapons skills.

Visit the schools and see what's a good fit for you. Then, think: Is it mroe important to augment your TSD for your school, or broaden your training for your own personal interests?

If I were you I'd likely pick something exotic that I couldn't find elsewhere. Look for Lua!

kenpofighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
You could always try Ed Parker's Kenpo. That's what I train in. You know, Ed Parker started the system and he was from Hawaii.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, so many systems got their start here in Hawaii. There is a lot of Martial Arts History here. I'm leaning toward BJJ and Okinawan Te - particularly one with a strong kobudo element.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would shop around for a good Kajukenbo school. I hear there are plenty in your area.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You're in freakin' Hawai'i, dude. If I were a young person in their prime and were to move there, I'd look for an old Okinawan sweeping his garage with his feet.

Tho Lua sounds interesting ... if you're willing to risk it. It may only be taught on the forbidden island.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, so many systems got their start here in Hawaii. There is a lot of Martial Arts History here. I'm leaning toward BJJ and Okinawan Te - particularly one with a strong kobudo element.
I would suggest Shobayashi Shorin Ryu, or Matsubayashi Ryu.. or perhaps Kobayashi shorin ryu .. all teach Kobudo and exelent unarmed combat systems... I prefer the Shobayashi system and so train in it myself... but like people said.. go ask questions and observe and see what is really there and pick the best fit.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You're in freakin' Hawai'i, dude. If I were a young person in their prime and were to move there, I'd look for an old Okinawan sweeping his garage with his feet.

Yeah, what she said! We're green with envy. :ultracool

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you are not in an absolute (yum) hurry to find a school, getting on the seminar circuit might be an option. Start attending various seminars in your area and get to know the different instructors and students. Find out the local history, being new and non-affiliated is a great bonus while exploring areas martial arts. By talking to and earning the trust of the local martial artists you may find a treasure that is off the beaten path, that old guy who has been training at his house or on the beach for the last 65 years, or maybe find that group that trains hardcore on weekends in some warehouse, or get tied into a small group of like minded instructors that share their various expertise and skills.

Regards
Brian King

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would shop around for a good Kajukenbo school. I hear there are plenty in your area.
Kaju's as Hawaiian as it gets, and a very effective and well-rounded system from what I can tell. Unlike many styles that blossomed in the late-40s to early 60s many old timers are still around, and seem to have hung together. I believe Sijo Emperado's still around, and seems pretty approachable, too.

But, all that's heavily slanted by my own preferences, so take it w/ a grain of salt.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Emperado's school is within a mile of my home. That's the kind of the dilemma I have. There are so many choices. I could have moved here for the martial arts choices alone...

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Another option that struck me is that there are alot of old school japanese martial artists here that are teaching naginata-do, kyu-do, etc...

I could learn an actual koryu art here. Maybe I have to Japanese first, but that isn't so difficult when they start teaching your daughter in the first grade...

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I could only wish to be living back on an island!!! I vacation on Kauai as often as I can...one day I will move there or any other island there for that matter. Choose what you feel is best for you at the moment. Then just focus on that, and when the time comes, add to your tool box ;)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another option that struck me is that there are alot of old school japanese martial artists here that are teaching naginata-do, kyu-do, etc...

Wow, more great opportunities! You're going to talk me into moving there. We've visited twice and loved it.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gawd ... is anyone else salivating? Ya know, maunakuma ... just start somewhere. :lol2:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I kind of experienced the same thing when I moved to San Francisco. Lots and lots of choices here, it's kind of a fun smorgasboard.

How's the Chinese arts scene over there? Much to choose from? Maybe some little old guy teaching an obscure art in his back yard to a handful of nephews and nieces and the occasional kid from Wisconsin if you are really patient and you pester him incessantly until he lets you in...

Like Shesulsa mentioned, maybe look for a good Lua teacher. Might not have that opportunity anywhere else... location, location, location...

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Emperado's school is within a mile of my home. That's the kind of the dilemma I have. There are so many choices. I could have moved here for the martial arts choices alone...

shesulsa said:
Gawd ... is anyone else salivating?
Yeah, I'm getting so depressed I'm gonna have to opt outta this thread. :cool:

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sorry, Kidswarrior. I suppose people tire quickly when the "thrice-blessed" starts bitching. I've got a sick daughter right now, so I'm stuck at home instead of checking out the island or surfing or fishing or whatever...sigh.

I guess, in order to be productive, I could post some websites of things that I'm interested in and get some comments.

As much as I'd love to find Mr. Miyagi up in Kaaawa, I think I'm going to start with something more commercial just to get my feet wet in that scene.

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'll start with arts that I have ranking in and then move out from there...

This is the Shobukan Judo club. It started in 1908 and is one of the oldest Judo clubs in the country. This club has produced many champions including a current Olympian, Taylor Takata. I'll be rooting for him in a few weeks...and so will the rest of the island.

I have a brown belt in judo and I'm interested in taking it back up again, but not so much for competition. After my injury, that kind of took the drive away. I'm more interested in getting my children into the sport. I think it would be really good for them.

Latest Discussions