Nostalgia for obsolete technology

When I was very young, the drug store near our house had a vacuum tube tester. It was a great big box with a bunch of sockets, and if the tv broke down my mom would pull out all the tubes and take them down to see which one had to be replaced. You had to plug them in one by one until you found the culprit.
I have a couple of tube radios, along with a tube tester of my own. I know that drill well. :)

Got a VIC20 for my birthday one year... and bought a Commodore 64 a year or two later. No hard drive, cassette tape to save programs... Developed some really bad habits writing programs in BASIC on the VIC20, because it started with only about 3.5K available memory. And it went fast... Even learned some machine code at one point!

Remember when you had to start by booting up a desktop computer with a DOS disk, then load from a set of floppies the program you wanted to use... and that was all you could use the PC for until you put a new program on? No Windows... just one program at a time...
I actually rigged a tape player to my TI-99A. I remember spending hours remapping all of the keys on the keyboard. I don't know why, but I thought it would be cool to type in "code", so I changed the letters on the qwerty keyboard to sillhouette pictures of naval ships. But loading that took FOREVER with the tape drive. :)

Christmas tree lights with real colored bulb instead of LEDs.

Hand-cranked ice cream makers

Volkswagon Bugs

Jukeboxes

fountain pens (I still love to use them)

45 rpm records
I have a collection of 78's, all pre-WW2, but mostly from the 20s and 30s.

Aircooled VWs are still around, aren't they? I've owned 5 different VWs, but my pride and joy was a single owner '74 Ghia that I bought. It was all original and in excellent condition. Only aircooled VW I've ever owned where EVERYTHING functioned as designed, including the defroster. :)

Thats pretty much what I shave with now.
I've shaved about 10 times since I got out of the air force in 1992. If I did shave, though, I'd definitely go this route! :)

Tech I miss: stop motion animation... like ACTUAL stop motion. Not computer generated stop motion.

Actually dialing a phone and rolling down the car window--with a circular motion.

hmmm...
my car has manual windows, a manual transmission, manual locks, no GPS... it's a 2003, so not very old. It's simpler, fewer things to break.

I still don't own a cell phone, have never been on myspace, facebook, twitter and the like.

I prefer bows and arrows, swords and spears...

Crushing: I still have my Amiga500, I have no Toaster, but I do have a Genlock for it.

I threw an Amiga 500, Amiga 600, Amiga 1200, Video Toaster, external harddrive and lord-knows how many disks in the skip when we moved house.

Also a BBC Micro, Spectrum+ 3 and a zx80 mini-computer (not to be confused with the zx's of Sir Sinclair, it had a hard-drive like a washing machine engine :D).

Andy, I too recently joined the anti-gel shaving revolution and went back to brush and shaving stick. A bit more work but works much better, especially at keeping razors unclogged.

Gas stations were full service, may be again, so I hear. Pull up and for your .25 cents per Gal. you got windows cleaned, oil checked, and a friendly smile.
Phone booth on every other corner, and for a dime, you could call home.

Andy, I too recently joined the anti-gel shaving revolution and went back to brush and shaving stick. A bit more work but works much better, especially at keeping razors unclogged.

Hmm, I've heard that before. I don't know if any women shave their legs with straight razors though..I'd feel strange, trying. But I'm tempted.

Phone booth on every other corner, and for a dime, you could call home.

AAAhhhhh, phone booths! People actually cared about keeping their personal conversations private, back then. How nice it must have been to not hear all the one sided gossiping and drivel that fills the air in public now.

Hmm, I've heard that before. I don't know if any women shave their legs with straight razors though..I'd feel strange, trying. But I'm tempted.

Yes, I know several who do (I am the admin of www.straightrazorplace.com). I also know at least a couple who shave their nether regions with a straight razor. Leg shaves are fairly easy with a straight if it is sharp enough. You can wipe the foam right off, and take all hair with it in one go.

And because it is a single blade, it doesn't clog like those gillette cartridges. It is more environmentally friendly (no disposable waste) and cheaper (1 razor will last a lifetime. My oldest razor is 200 years old).

If you have any questions, or interest in getting started with a straight razor, I'll gladly answer your questions or bring you into contact with some of the women at our site. Or you can just drop by at the site and visit our Ladies Corner.

As to nostalgia: I am a dedicated straight razor shaver. I also restore antique straight razors and have recently started making custom razors myself.

Some animators are still using real stop motion: check out Coraline, Fantastic Mr. Fox and of course the always lovable Wallace And Grommit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stop-motion_films
Yeah, and they rock! :D

Just watched Fantastic Mr. Fox a few days ago with the family. Very funny movie. I wasn't aware that Coraline was actual stop motion animation. Very polished! I thought it was done on the computer. Fooled me, I guess. :D

AAAhhhhh, phone booths! People actually cared about keeping their personal conversations private, back then. How nice it must have been to not hear all the one sided gossiping and drivel that fills the air in public now.
The only gossip I want to eavesdrop on is TWO sided gossip. :D

Get good at the Balloon Drill first before using a full-on straight razor ( It's what barber school used to do--get some shaving soap, lather up a balloon, and if you keep the appropriate 30-degree angle you ought not pop the balloon).

This is the exact "safety razor" I use now:

http://www.theartofshaving.com/shop/product/67007/11

Remember that "Safety Razor" is a relative term( i.e. safer than a "cut-throat" or "straight" razor).It's safer than that, it STILL needs to be practiced with( I'm still getting the hang of it) but the shave is unquestionably closer than any 6 bladed cartridge monstrosity I've ever used. I also learned that if you push too hard or get too aggressive with it, it''ll let you know( gotta love that Alum block).

More strokes, not more force. it's heavy steel , let its own weight do the work.

My papap beat us with his strop when we was evil.

Notes to your friends in class
Teachers that could whack you if you needed it
Sports where only the winners won

Oh so true, Egg. We are starting to see the consequences of not doing this for a generation or two.

Latest Discussions

Back