Northern vs Southern

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
dont northern styles tend to be lower in stances?
especially northern shaolin..
also, Wushu's mantis is extremely low as well, i was told!

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
dont northern styles tend to be lower in stances?
especially northern shaolin..
also, Wushu's mantis is extremely low as well, i was told!
Not really. The different styles all have their prescribed stance heights, theories, methodologies, etc... I've seen plenty of Shaolin stuff done high (not leg locked) & I've seen plenty of taiji done by people who look like they're literally dragging their *** on the ground. It just depends.

Yeah wushu mantis is really low... but have you ever seen it used?? Me neither...

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i apologize.. i was only thinking about tang lang quan for some reason!
i think shaolin's mantis is very low too
i was told by my teacher that wushu took it to the extreme but it's actually not used, or at least, he said, not as much as 7 star mantis

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
1- THe "internal "styles tend to have thier own category
2- The southern close range styles tend to be based on a more upright stance, not a low horse, and small tight movements with the elbow in to the center.
3- I believe its really a myth that the southern close range styles are any quicker to learn. Alot of the movements and applications are extremely complex and time consuming to learn, in very good application some of the things happen so fast that you cant really see or understand whats happening even after its finished.
4- Generally speaking all the "northern" stuff I have seen seems to have bigger movements in general, and use more body extension.

Latest Discussions