"No Outside Game," or Another Thread About Hybrid Arts

Discussion in 'Wing Chun' started by wingchun100, Dec 29, 2016.

1. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

Well then go roll with whatever variation of eye gouge or eye jabs you want. It is not the point. If you want to roll that way go buck wild.

2. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

If you roll with punches the dynamic of rolling does change a bit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Nobody Important

Nobody Important 2nd Black Belt

Agree 100%, even light pops here & there change the focus & dynamic tremendously, let alone all out bashing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. gpseymour

gpseymour MT Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Just to be clear, when you both say "cardio", I assume you're actually talking about your "pulmo" :D, your ability to keep your breath regular. For me, my breath gives out long before my heartbeat reaches anything close to my target "max". I've gone back to running, and am focused on breathing. I run farther and my legs are less tired (very hilly where I live) when I control my breath properly. I look forward to that point when I can run a couple of miles again, without being out of breath. I'm hoping it only takes the few weeks it has taken in the past to get there.

5. Vajramusti

Vajramusti Master Black Belt

------------------
    Dan imo is not an authority on wing chun.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. wayfaring

wayfaring Green Belt

Hey Bino, I just saw this. I do understand what you mean when you say from your perception you were giving the instructor trouble. You were able to use some bridge skills to prevent his gripping game.

However what I would like you to realize from that video, the instructor is going very very light. I do not know that particular instructor or his A game or competition game or even if he competes, but what I see is someone going about 30-40%, and not caring too much about you messing with his gripping game, then adjusting distance and being a little dynamic on that sweep, then submitted you from mount with an arm triangle choke.

While I did see you fending off his gripping game, and yes that possibly could go on at a higher level of output to stall his game a little, but once he had a connection to you, he used that to sweep, get mount, and submit you. Without a ton of effort.

check out this biker challenging Robson Moura...

And good job getting in there mixing it up and trying out your skills. That's how it starts....

7. wayfaring

wayfaring Green Belt

Good job getting in there and mixing it up. The cardio is different, and a bit training specific. If you aren't used to rolling you will burn out while they are conserving energy. May I ask what it is that you went there to see? And what did you prove? What mission was accomplished?

I'm asking because as a practitioner of both arts, I'm curious how some view both and the blend of them.

I kind of like pajama wrestling. It is chill and helps me keep stress levels down. But I most directly relate to wing chun, especially from a core identity perspective.

Peace.123