Creating a 6-Week Course? Any Help Appreciated!

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have been gone for a long time, or at least it FEELS long.

Anyway, I am in the process of being approved to teach one 2-hour wing chun course at a local college. Obviously at only 2 hours, this has to be VERY streamlined and narrowed down to what might interest a beginner. I think I am going to lean mainly toward showing them how to apply wing chun on the street. Odds are they won't want to hear much about forms.

At any rate, I was told that if it works out, I could run a course that lasts for 6 classes, 2 hours each. Now, simple math tells me that is 12 hours, and it got me thinking: what would I even DO for that long???? I panicked, and it isn't even happening yet!

So here is my question to you all: if you had 6 weeks and 12 hours total to give people an overall intro to wing chun, what would YOU do? This would clearly give more breathing room to discuss forms, but I don't know how deep I should go.

Your thoughts/opinions/help will be appreciated.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What I would do if I had to wing chun course ? I'd panic even more than you because I don't know wing chun.

Sorry lol thought a joke may help lol but best of luck for it

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have been gone for a long time, or at least it FEELS long.

Anyway, I am in the process of being approved to teach one 2-hour wing chun course at a local college. Obviously at only 2 hours, this has to be VERY streamlined and narrowed down to what might interest a beginner. I think I am going to lean mainly toward showing them how to apply wing chun on the street. Odds are they won't want to hear much about forms.

At any rate, I was told that if it works out, I could run a course that lasts for 6 classes, 2 hours each. Now, simple math tells me that is 12 hours, and it got me thinking: what would I even DO for that long???? I panicked, and it isn't even happening yet!

So here is my question to you all: if you had 6 weeks and 12 hours total to give people an overall intro to wing chun, what would YOU do? This would clearly give more breathing room to discuss forms, but I don't know how deep I should go.

Your thoughts/opinions/help will be appreciated.
The answer to your panic is easy: repeat yourself. Remember that they will ONLY have that 12 hours, so build in practice time, and revisit concepts and techniques from one class to the next. You probably only really need some very basic material. Rather than trying to teach a portion of WC, focus on teaching them how to deal with some reasonable attack situations using WC.

For the 2-hour class, I'd pick a very small number of techniques. Teach them just how to handle a couple of basic punches and one or two grabs. Very little practice time. Think of it as an introduction to the topic (and what classes might feel like) rather than actually trying to pass along much in the way of skill.

In both cases, if you have a partner to work with, you can give them some demonstrations of more advanced uses of the same techniques you're teaching them.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I guess you need to decide what it is a that you want to accomplish in the class. Do you want to teach some very basic self defense? Or do you want to teach them something about the system and methodology that is wing chun?

If the latter, you might spend two classes on fundamental punching and hand positions, with a couple of hands-on punching drills with a partner. Then, in the next four classes, in addition to practicing the fundamentals, you could teach them siu lim tao. They would not be any good at it and probably wont remember it a week later, but I bet you could get through it if they follow you. As an introduction of "this is how we train in the wing shun system", it could grab their interest.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
The answer to your panic is easy: repeat yourself. Remember that they will ONLY have that 12 hours, so build in practice time, and revisit concepts and techniques from one class to the next. You probably only really need some very basic material. Rather than trying to teach a portion of WC, focus on teaching them how to deal with some reasonable attack situations using WC.

For the 2-hour class, I'd pick a very small number of techniques. Teach them just how to handle a couple of basic punches and one or two grabs. Very little practice time. Think of it as an introduction to the topic (and what classes might feel like) rather than actually trying to pass along much in the way of skill.

In both cases, if you have a partner to work with, you can give them some demonstrations of more advanced uses of the same techniques you're teaching them.

Thanks for the tips.

I have a friend who is willing to help me shoot some videos, if I ever get around to making a YouTube channel. He has little to no experience in any martial arts, so I was thinking of two things with him: (1) He could be my demo partner, and (2) since he has no knowledge of wing chun, I could ask him, "Is there anything you would like to see in particular?" By that I mean he could ask me, "How could wing chun handle..." and then fill in the blank with a handful of ways someone might attach you.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess you need to decide what it is a that you want to accomplish in the class. Do you want to teach some very basic self defense? Or do you want to teach them something about the system and methodology that is wing chun?

If the latter, you might spend two classes on fundamental punching and hand positions, with a couple of hands-on punching drills with a partner. Then, in the next four classes, in addition to practicing the fundamentals, you could teach them siu lim tao. They would not be any good at it and probably wont remember it a week later, but I bet you could get through it if they follow you. As an introduction of "this is how we train in the wing shun system", it could grab their interest.

For the longer class, it would be more in-depth about wing chun theory and concepts. The two-hour course will be a very, VERY basic intro. I might spend a little time showing how it is different from some styles they may have seen...but then again I might do better to assume not too many people in the class will be martial arts savvy. In other words, if they don't know what karate looks like, why bother showing them how wing chun is different from it? Plus I don't want to look like I am style bashing either.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips.

I have a friend who is willing to help me shoot some videos, if I ever get around to making a YouTube channel. He has little to no experience in any martial arts, so I was thinking of two things with him: (1) He could be my demo partner, and (2) since he has no knowledge of wing chun, I could ask him, "Is there anything you would like to see in particular?" By that I mean he could ask me, "How could wing chun handle..." and then fill in the blank with a handful of ways someone might attach you.
A couple of cautions in using your friend. First, as a partner, make sure he is able to react appropriately. If he's always flinching away, or keeps coming at you because he knows you're not really going to hit him, either of those will ruin the demonstration of a technique. Also, it's my experience that some (not all, but many) non-martial-artists like to ask about flashy stuff. "What would you do if Conan showed up with two swords?" Okay, it's not usually that bad, but I get lots of first questions about things like gun defenses, multiple attackers, etc.

As long as he doesn't do those two things, go for it!

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
A couple of cautions in using your friend. First, as a partner, make sure he is able to react appropriately. If he's always flinching away, or keeps coming at you because he knows you're not really going to hit him, either of those will ruin the demonstration of a technique. Also, it's my experience that some (not all, but many) non-martial-artists like to ask about flashy stuff. "What would you do if Conan showed up with two swords?" Okay, it's not usually that bad, but I get lots of first questions about things like gun defenses, multiple attackers, etc.

As long as he doesn't do those two things, go for it!

That is why I plan on having him over at my place first to do a run-through. No surprises. :)

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
-Underlying stress on fundamentals throughout whole lesson √
-Keep it realistic √
-Reasonably long warm-up √
-Techniques √
-Emphasis on 'how to practice' said techniques √
-Long timefiller demos to emphasise that you care √
-Drills √
-Light fitness: glass canon ego-wielding students are insured to return √
-Freedom √

All I can think of as of now.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
-Underlying stress on fundamentals throughout whole lesson √
-Keep it realistic √
-Reasonably long warm-up √
-Techniques √
-Emphasis on 'how to practice' said techniques √
-Long timefiller demos to emphasise that you care √
-Drills √
-Light fitness: glass canon ego-wielding students are insured to return √
-Freedom √

All I can think of as of now.
I have to ask: what are "glass canon ego-wielding students"?

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Good news from you.

I would focus on fundamentals (concepts...) and on a few essential techniques, even repeating them during the 12 hours. It could be considered a success if they really understand that few things. Yep I agree, no forms and some quite useful (street) stuff.

I would not go very deep and, for marketing purposes, it would be good that the students are aware they are receiving and introduction and more will cost more (time and money) obviously.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good news from you.

I would focus on fundamentals (concepts...) and on a few essential techniques, even repeating them during the 12 hours. It could be considered a success if they really understand that few things. Yep I agree, no forms and some quite useful (street) stuff.

I would not go very deep and, for marketing purposes, it would be good that the students are aware they are receiving and introduction and more will cost more (time and money) obviously.

I think I would go into at least a little of Sil Lum Tao for them if I had a 12-hour timespan. Also, while I definitely would not TEACH them Chum Kiu, I would at least show it because I can guarantee you this: at least one person (or more) would look at the performance of Sil Lum Tao and wonder, "Uh...don't you guys MOVE at all?" So at least a quick demo might be needed.

All good stuff though!

WcForMe

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If your dead set on doing slt I personally would present it like so:-

Show them the full form, then pick sections get them to do it. Doesn't have to be in order. For instance just garn Sao to tan Sao maybe.

Then show them the exact same form section you picked and make it a drill. You only have limited time so there's no way you are getting through the full form.

in my experience it was the best way to learn and see what the form actually means. That way you don't have any silly questions like " so you never move?" " what does all this mean?" Etc etc. By showing a small section deployed with an actual use makes life so much easier for everybody. 12 hours should be a doddle with that and a warm up, some self defence work and some chatting lol. Depending on the class maybe some single hand Chi Sao?

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
If your dead set on doing slt I personally would present it like so:-

Show them the full form, then pick sections get them to do it. Doesn't have to be in order. For instance just garn Sao to tan Sao maybe.

Then show them the exact same form section you picked and make it a drill. You only have limited time so there's no way you are getting through the full form.

in my experience it was the best way to learn and see what the form actually means. That way you don't have any silly questions like " so you never move?" " what does all this mean?" Etc etc. By showing a small section deployed with an actual use makes life so much easier for everybody. 12 hours should be a doddle with that and a warm up, some self defence work and some chatting lol. Depending on the class maybe some single hand Chi Sao?

Hope that helps.

Right, in the 2 hour class there is no room for forms. I have the two hour layout covered. I am more concerned about the 12-hour course, where I think a little bit more of the form COULD be shown. Would I focus on trying to get people to master it? Of course not, but I think they would be ready to see more than just up to the opening punches.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was also thinking of taking certain things that are misinterpreted like chi sao and the straight blast, and showing the class the real use and interpretation of such things. Then again, I wonder: if these people are not familiar with martial arts AT ALL, then they won't really know how those things are misinterpreted anyway!

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think I would go into at least a little of Sil Lum Tao for them if I had a 12-hour timespan. Also, while I definitely would not TEACH them Chum Kiu, I would at least show it because I can guarantee you this: at least one person (or more) would look at the performance of Sil Lum Tao and wonder, "Uh...don't you guys MOVE at all?" So at least a quick demo might be needed.

All good stuff though!
I have no idea about these WC terms... But I am sure you did the right choice. :)

When I am teaching on my own, I tend to fly over the easy things and give all the needed information. But apparently nothing is easy for most of the beginners and all the information needed is often an overdose. :)

So when I am teaching I always need to think `FOCUS, simplify, divide and mix later`. Otherwise it does not work... I think it is a good advice in every field and, perhaps, a common mistake.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have no idea about these WC terms... But I am sure you did the right choice. :)

When I am teaching on my own, I tend to fly over the easy things and give all the needed information. But apparently nothing is easy for most of the beginners and all the information needed is often an overdose. :)

So when I am teaching I always need to think `FOCUS, simplify, divide and mix later`. Otherwise it does not work... I think it is a good advice in every field and, perhaps, a common mistake.

My bad...I thought you knew them. LOL

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was also thinking of taking certain things that are misinterpreted like chi sao and the straight blast, and showing the class the real use and interpretation of such things. Then again, I wonder: if these people are not familiar with martial arts AT ALL, then they won't really know how those things are misinterpreted anyway!
I wouldn't worry about clearing up misconceptions in this short of a forum (12 hours isn't very long if you actually want to have them start learning any skills, at all). If anyone has questions like that, you can either defer them to the last day, or you can defer them to after the class.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would suggest, in such a limited time frame, keep to techniques that are easy to execute and that don't require a lot of conditioning, if you are going the self-defense route.

As an example, pak sau, bil sau etc for defenses maybe? Getting the right angle and application for tan and bong can be a bit problematic if you aren't going to be having them do SLT. For attacks, obviously teaching the proper punch is important but maybe put a focus on palm strikes and elbows, using the punch as a focus for hammer the concept of forwarding energy home? I only say this because, in my experiences, it's harder to hurt your self applying a proper palm or elbow strike to a "hard" target.

Latest Discussions