ninjutsu weapon qwestions

jubei42

White Belt
Reaction score
hello everyone. My name is Jack, I am not new to ninjutsu but l will admit that I don't know everything. I am decent with most ninjutsu weapon and continue to train. I have recently received a set of ninja throwing spikes, And l have no idea exatly how to use them. l know if l just throw them around enogh l will someday get it right. But to save my spike from damage, l would like if someone out there could give me some pointers. I would be very greatfull to who ever could help.

domo

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT and enjoy!

If you look in the Ninjutsu areas, you'll find we have many people here with loads of experience in BBT who would be happy to give you advice!

Jeff

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
hello everyone. My name is Jack, I am not new to ninjutsu but l will admit that I don't know everything. I am decent with most ninjutsu weapon and continue to train. I have recently received a set of ninja throwing spikes, And l have no idea exatly how to use them. l know if l just throw them around enogh l will someday get it right. But to save my spike from damage, l would like if someone out there could give me some pointers. I would be very greatfull to who ever could help.

domo

Jack I think it would be best to learn this first hand from your instructor. Throwing things around without training can get pretty tricky at times. (things bounce) Hopefully the spikes you received are close to what it used in Authentic Budo Taijutsu practice as many of the ones that are available to purchase are weight poorly and will not be of much good in learning this skill. Good luck.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jack I think it would be best to learn this first hand from your instructor. Throwing things around without training can get pretty tricky at times. (things bounce) Hopefully the spikes you received are close to what it used in Authentic Budo Taijutsu practice as many of the ones that are available to purchase are weight poorly and will not be of much good in learning this skill. Good luck.

Hey Brian, what you say about weight interests me; I train shuriken a lot and have an awfully hard time finding good ones—the weight is often wrong. Do you have a source for really well-made stars? The ones I use are probably fine for their intended purpose (use against an armed attacker in parking garages or other enclosed, typically deserted spaces), but I'd like to find better quality ones—trying to increase my distance from the target gradually to around fifteen feet or so with at least half my throws within a small-radius circle on my target. If the weight's not perfect, it's really hard to get that kind of accuracy... any suggestions? Would very much appreciate a good, reliable source for weapons-grade throwing weapons..

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mod Note

Thread moved to General Ninjutsu.

Mike Slosek
MT Supermod

saru1968

Green Belt
Reaction score

domo

Anychance of posting a picture of the spikes so we can see what set you have?

saru1968

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ed Green's equipment is the best I've found.

http://www.budoweapons.com/

I can comment on Shuriken especailly the Bo type as I've never ordered them from Mr Green or am i likely too.

But if the attention to detail and customer service and delivery time of nearly a year is anything to guage by i would no recommend him at all.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can comment on Shuriken especailly the Bo type as I've never ordered them from Mr Green or am i likely too.

But if the attention to detail and customer service and delivery time of nearly a year is anything to guage by i would no recommend him at all.

A year????

Hmmmmm.....

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

You say you've never ordered them, so where are you getting your information? Did you order something that it took him a year to make and send to you? What was it?

exile, now that we've moved to the Ninjutsu forum, there's a sticky close by for suppliers.

saru1968

Green Belt
Reaction score
You say you've never ordered them, so where are you getting your information? Did you order something that it took him a year to make and send to you? What was it?

exile, now that we've moved to the Ninjutsu forum, there's a sticky close by for suppliers.

No, did not order Bo shuriken hence the comment.

But in Feb(1/02/06) of last year i did order 2 x hand made leather tabi and 2 x purple heart bokken and 2 x Purple heart Kodachi.

I even sent him a pair of my indoor tabi for correct sizing.

I was most disapponited with the results as I've heard so many good comments about his work.

The order was originally half mine and half a gift for someone else's birthday in the Summer. I know there was personal issues BUT my patience ran out in September. The communication was terrible. If it was one guy doing it in his spare time and saying 'it will arrive when its finished' rather than being run as a proper business and been given approx delivery dates i would not have been so bothered.

In the end i got my order a few days before Christmas.

The Tabi are too small despite packing them out for a month, the inside clasps on one pair of the tabi are green/blue with rust/discolour. The edges alondside the bottom of one pair of the tabi is not complete. One ofthe stitches retaining the clasps has come undone despite them only being worn around the house in an attempt to loosen them.

The binding on the handle of one kodachi and one Bokken is not glued correctly and is loose. The scabbard still have the price tag stuck to the tube, i'm assuming its some sort of golf tubing.

All in all not good. My only hope is that the wood is good, apparently its IPE as he had ran out of purple heart.

The kicker at the end just before it was due to be shipped was he 'forgot' I'd ordered two pair of tabi!.

I did get so sick of it at one point i asked for a refund but was told as it was custom work it was not possible.

He did put in senban in one of the Tabi, but too little too late.

Maybe my order was one bad order out of thousands. Just my experience yours maybe be better.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow. Thanks for the detail.

My experience was the complete opposite, but it's good to hear from everybody.

OP
jubei42

jubei42

White Belt
Reaction score
well I do not have an instructer. Or i would have done that but I do like the suggetion. all the training in ninjutsu is self trained. and I figured out how to use the weapon on my own. I have had martail arts training but not ninjutsu. or not offical training. so that is why I am asking.

saru1968

Green Belt
Reaction score
well I do not have an instructer. Or i would have done that but I do like the suggetion. all the training in ninjutsu is self trained. and I figured out how to use the weapon on my own. I have had martail arts training but not ninjutsu. or not offical training. so that is why I am asking.

Are you saying you've already 'figured out' how to use them?

can you give us a link to a picture of the ones you have?

thanks

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, I don't want to spoil your fun but you should really seek out an instructor if you want to actually learn anything.

But, for your entertainment you might check out Hatsumi's DVD on Hidden Weapons & Shuriken Techniques.

Danny Fletcher also has a set of shurikenjutsu DVDs which you can sometimes find for sale on ebay.

There are also DVDs for sale from arts that have no connection to ninjutsu.

Latest Discussions