Ninja Occupations?

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
After Thursday night's class, a bunch of us usually head to an Asian restaurant for munchables and socializing. Last night the talk got around to what various people in the dojo do for a living, and a new student mentioned that he's a gardener. So happens that's a very traditional Edo-era role for ninja who were employed by the new Tokugawa government.

That got me to thinking. . .What would most people consider a "proper" occupation in these modern times for a ninja? There's a new article out today on the company I and my wife work for, which will give you a sense of what I do for a living; but I imagine there are all sorts of things that could potentially come under the heading of "ninja" occupations.

So, any thoughts?

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
that is cool. reminds me of "governator's" job on the movie "end of days":mp5: :ultracool :boing2:

DuckofDeath

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Another occupation--albeit not as glamorous as being a bodyguard--is that of repossession. Although most people think of the repo man as Bubba hooking up his tow truck to a car, there are also some really sophisticated repo scenarios out there. I saw a television program on the repossession business where one case involved a repo team snatching an airplane off an air strip and another involved a repo team snatching a boat out of a marina.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DuckofDeath said:
Another occupation--albeit not as glamorous as being a bodyguard--is that of repossession. Although most people think of the repo man as Bubba hooking up his tow truck to a car, there are also some really sophisticated repo scenarios out there. I saw a television program on the repossession business where one case involved a repo team snatching an airplane off an air strip and another involved a repo team snatching a boat out of a marina.

Duck...

I do some occasional Driving for a Repo guy for extra cash... He does the work... I just drive his truck...

OP
Dale Seago

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
DuckofDeath said:
. . .there are also some really sophisticated repo scenarios out there. I saw a television program on the repossession business where one case involved a repo team snatching an airplane off an air strip and another involved a repo team snatching a boat out of a marina.

That is utterly sweet, getting to steal stuff legally -- right up there with the fine old Scottish tradition of cattle reiving, or native American horse raiding. I love it!

Someone asked me by PM how one would go about getting into my line of work, and in case anyone else might be thinking about that I thought I'd post this information:

I think the best thing to do would be to read this post on "Basic Requirements For The Job" by one of our directors, Kirian Fitzgibbons.

Also, you might check out this info on the protective services training Steele is conducting in July. It will also be coming around once again in November:

THE STEELE FOUNDATION / INTERNATIONAL TRAINING GROUP

The Steele Foundation is among the world leaders in providing protective services in high threat environments and configurations and provides protective operations on a daily basis around the globe. The Steele Foundation has set many industry benchmarks such as being the only private organization in the world to provide a full-time "Private" Presidential Protection Detail and Training Unit. The Steele Foundation is the first private organization in history to have been hired directly by a sovereign nation to protect its Heads of State. As industry leaders servicing clients such as the Office of the President of three foreign countries and countless Fortune 100 companies, The Steele Foundation presents unparalleled experience and subject matter expertise in the fields of Executive / Dignitary Protection and Training. Based on this experience, The Steele Foundation’s International Training Group (ITG) is defining new training standards, which reflect this same high caliber of expertise, organization, and professionalism.

EXECUTIVE / DIGNITARY PROTECTION MODULE: 12-DAYS

-Introduction to Protective Services
-Threat Assessment
-Protective Services Weapons and Equipment
-Protective Services Unarmed Combat Techniques
-Attack Recognition for Formations
-Dismounted Formations
-Mounting/Dismounting of Vehicles
-First Aid & Adult CPR/AED Certification
-Tactical First Aid for Protection Teams
-Improvised Explosive Devices
-Building Search Procedures
-Vehicle Search Procedures
-Attack Recognition for Motorcades
-Motorcade Operations
-Vehicle Dynamics
-J Turns and Boot Legs
-Motorcade Attack on Principal Drills
-Vehicle Ramming
-Single Vehicle AOP Drills
-Motorcade AOP Drills
-Security Post Operations
-Advance Operations
-Conducting Briefings
-Command Post Operations
-Protocol and Etiquette
-Practical Exercises & Critique
-Executive / Dignitary Protection Examination

ADVANCED PROTECTIVE FIREARMS MODULE: 2-DAYS

-Use of Force / Deadly Force
-Weapons Familiarization
-Familiarization and Qualification Course of Fire
-Drawing and Firing from Concealed Carry
-Night Time Familiarization Course of Fire
-Multiple Target Engagement Drills
-Evacuation and Formation Shooting Drills
-Firing Techniques, Including Firing from Vehicles
-Shooting Through Glass
-Advanced Protective Firearms Techniques

SCHEDULED TRAINING PROGRAMS 2004: NORTHERN CALIFORNIA

Executive / Dignitary Protection Training Module: 12-Day Program - $2,750.00

- July 19th - July 30th, 2004
- November 1st - November 12th, 2004

Advanced Protection Firearms Training Module: 2-Day Program - $750.00

- July 31st - August 1st, 2004
- November 13th-14th, 2004

Combined Protection Training Module: 14-Day Program - $3,400.00

- July 19th - August 1st, 2004
- November 1st-14th, 2004

BTW, despite Kirian's disparaging-sounding references to "ninjas", he's well aware that he has a few Booj folks working for him. I think it affords him a certain private amusement to make such remarks. :wink2:

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I work at FYE (a music store) in a local mall. The mall I work in is in an area with quite a bit of violence. My family works for security, and some of my friends too, so I help them sometimes. I always like to think I am their eyes and ears. people trust me with stuff, and then I tell them. its fun really.
native American horse raiding.
Oh, good times. good times. I mean.....I have never been......gotta go!

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
flatlander said:
Oh, Techno, that's VERY ninja....he's the one 'out there', while you remain invisible, lurking......

I dont do it to be "Ninja"... I just do it for the paycheck.

I think my primary job is more "Ninja"... I work at an ISP...

See? Communication/Ninja... hehe

Kurohana

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm an aircraft mechanic that flies with the aircraft. Takes me to a lot of foreign countries. Currently, Angola and Equatorial Guinea. Both of which aren't exactly stable governments. Ninja job or not? Pays the bills.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kurohana said:
I'm an aircraft mechanic that flies with the aircraft. Takes me to a lot of foreign countries. Currently, Angola and Equatorial Guinea. Both of which aren't exactly stable governments. Ninja job or not? Pays the bills.

Maybe if they tie you to the outside of the plane and you fly it like a big Ninja Kite?

Hehe.

OP
Dale Seago

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
A bit earlier in this thread I posted some info on The Steele Foundation's training courses coming up in July & November. This info, including a nifty .pdf informational brochure, is now up on this page of our website.

You don't have to already be working in this field to get the training for it. . .Indeed, you pretty much have to have the training before you can get the work. :wink2:

blood shadow

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I dont know why locksmith came to mind or maybe something in the armed forces.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
After Thursday night's class, a bunch of us usually head to an Asian restaurant for munchables and socializing. Last night the talk got around to what various people in the dojo do for a living, and a new student mentioned that he's a gardener. So happens that's a very traditional Edo-era role for ninja who were employed by the new Tokugawa government.

That got me to thinking. . .What would most people consider a "proper" occupation in these modern times for a ninja? There's a new article out today on the company I and my wife work for, which will give you a sense of what I do for a living; but I imagine there are all sorts of things that could potentially come under the heading of "ninja" occupations.

So, any thoughts?

Are we talking espionage or assassination? These days, an IT tech or Temp wold probably be a very good job for the ninja gathering "intel" (i.e. corporate/industrial secrets, getting the lay of the land for targeting executives, perhaps getting invited to private parties, etc.).
Any occupation that would afford one frequent and easily justified travel would be another. There are many jobs that fit the bill, what with open markets & free trade.
I read a book about killers that were "career students" on paper, spending time "abroad". I suppose it's all in the details.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
locksmith is a good one. i was thinking of a career change. but i'm having some hardships finding suitable work. whatever you do, your martial arts belts or even ability are not that relevant. furthermore, for most professions one has to obtain formal degrees and qualifications-
not easy keeping oneself open for new things when there is almost no chance to be admitted at the same so many different types of work. it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. the needle being those jobs that are available and possible.

j

Shicomm

Purple Belt
Reaction score
These days, an IT tech or Temp wold probably be a very good job for the ninja gathering "intel" (i.e. corporate/industrial secrets, getting the lay of the land for targeting executives, perhaps getting invited to private parties, etc.).
How interesting.... :D
Maybe a bit more social engineering on the side ;)

All i have to do now is convince my boss that it's a good thing for me to go to Japan every year to spot new hardware ( and have a bit training on the side as well.... :D )

Latest Discussions