Are you Ninja?

Dale Seago

Black Belt
Reaction score
So okay, I read it.

Ninpo obsolete? Obviously I'd have to disagree with that.

Shorin ryu karate? Here is a point where I do have to agree, from my own experience many years ago, with the writer's esteem for his own art. When I was an enlisted Marine during that little spat we had in Vietnam, before I became an Army officer, I trained on base with a Shorin-ryu yondan staff sergeant who had been an uchi-deshi of Eizo Shimabuku in the old traditional way: helping out around the farm, slopping the hogs, that sort of thing. I was already a black belt in Taekwon Do (the military version taught to the ROK armed forces) and had done a couple of other things before meeting him.

I'll just say this: Over the couple of years I worked with him, I still remember nailing him once in sparring.

Once.

In a couple of years.

Very, very sound principles in the version of the art he had learned and the way he had learned it.

From some of my previous comments on the now-defunct Tenjindo thread some may have gotten the idea that I'm chauvinistic about my own art, but that's not at all the case. I love good martial art, no matter what the source.

E

Elizium

I guess his theory may be sound until you step off the centreline and find a new area to attack from. But it seems that most MA people only see it in one way while the rest se the larger picture.

Latest Discussions