Nineteenth Century JJ video

T

TheBattousai

Defintly cool, but I would like to know if the names they show at the beginning may be the gental men in the clip and that this was a reproduction. However, it does seem authentic, it wouldn't hurt to know for sure.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Really neat to see this! Thank you for sharing.

- Ceicei

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah that was great, wonder how old it actually is? The bloke applying the techniques wasn't messing about either, bet the other chap was in some pain afterwards and during as well!

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was not uncommon to see the old timers doing a kata or demonstration in fine evening wear...a cool video, for sure...

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Cool video, thanks for sharing!
I think they might be a bit off on the date, though. The early nineteenth century wouldv'e been from 1800-1820 at the latest. More like the early twentieth century would be my guess.
Still great to see.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Randy Strausbaugh said:
Cool video, thanks for sharing!
I think they might be a bit off on the date, though. The early nineteenth century wouldv'e been from 1800-1820 at the latest. More like the early twentieth century would be my guess.
Still great to see.

Yes, true since Thomas Edison didn't invent the motion picture camera until 1893 and unveiled it at the World's Fair a short time later. If not mistaken I think the first motion picture was probably the same time or around 1903. The cut of the suits I recognized were from pre- WWI era suits. Sort of the type you'd see aboard the Titanic or around that period. Some folks still do tend to think mistakenly that 19th century means 1900 to 2000.
Ya, I thawt it was a cool thing to watch too. Glad ya'll like it. Keep the comments coming.
By the way am thinking a clue that may reveal the idenitity of the men in the vid/film clip is who was it that brought JJ to the U.S. and who were the first students. Surely there's some record of that lying around somewhere? :D

K

kenpojujitsu

Intersting video, but definately not 19th century. Earliy 1900's for sure.
The creator of the video probably just thinks that 1900's were the 19th century.
I also like the ground techniques. This must be where the gracies stole the idea for ground fighting. I guess they didn't invent it after all.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
kenpojujitsu said:
Intersting video, but definately not 19th century. Earliy 1900's for sure.
The creator of the video probably just thinks that 1900's were the 19th century.
I also like the ground techniques. This must be where the gracies stole the idea for ground fighting. I guess they didn't invent it after all.

Well, to stop a potential virtual fight lets not say "...where the gracies 'stole' the idea..." But rather to say "...where the gracies were 'inspired' by the idea for ground fighting..." :D
Many present day MA techniques were inspired and built upon by an original move from another MA. All one needs to do is look at the history and origins of the art itself.

:asian:

K

kenpojujitsu

MA-Caver said:
Well, to stop a potential virtual fight lets not say "...where the gracies 'stole' the idea..." But rather to say "...where the gracies were 'inspired' by the idea for ground fighting..." :D
Many present day MA techniques were inspired and built upon by an original move from another MA. All one needs to do is look at the history and origins of the art itself.

:asian:

I guess this can be taken to another thread. But the Gracies, and other BJJ folks, often claim that no one was doing ground technqiues before them. One Gracie even said that the Goju Ryu ground techniques came from Gracie Jujitsu, even though Goju Ryu is much older.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There were clearly ground techniques in Judo, from the beginning. I don't think that's disputed.

Dan G

Green Belt
Reaction score
Superb clip.

Couldn't find anything on the web about the people doing the demo, but found this article on E.W. Barton-Wright, a genuine 19th century pioneer in martial arts. Is worth a read and has some fantastic quotes from people attending demos at the time...

http://www.budokwai.org/early_martial_arts.htm

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
thanks to both for both links

Love the suits

Some interesting techniques in there
Loved the part of pulling the jacket down over the arms then fininshing the tech

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
thanks to both for both links

Love the suits

Some interesting techniques in there
Loved the part of pulling the jacket down over the arms then fininshing the tech

We work that one occasionally...it works great with a gi, too...give it a try sometime.

Latest Discussions