Newbie saying hi

vision conquest

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey there, I just found this forum and thought I would introduce myself and bore everybody with my story.
As a youngster I dabbled in a number of diciplins but never followed through with any of them, I studied western boxing, muay thai, wing chun and tong long kung fu.

I have always been into fitness and the one thing I did manage to stick with was resistance training, I love going to the gym and am actually qualified to work on the gym floor so I consider myself pretty knowledgeable in this topic.

My story gets slightly interesting as in 2008 I was studying chemistry, particularly energetic materials, when an experiment I was conducting led to an explosion which removed a few of my fingers and left me totally blind.

So 20/20 vision one day totally blind the next, I was in a pretty bad way for about a year or so but I managed to come to terms with being blind and now I think I live a pretty full life.

I enjoy playing the drums and i get to the gym as often as possible, which is quite a lot, I am a peer support volunteer for vision australia where I help people adapt to life without sight.

So recently i decided I would like to try training in a martial art again and after a bit of research I decided brazillian jiujitsu would be the go.

I have only just started but am really enjoying it so far, I am 45 years old so I am realistic about what I may be able to achieve, at this point my goals are to simply enjoy myself and just to be consistent about my training.

I found this forum while doing research about bjj and I like how comprehensive it is and also the friendly environment.

Hopefully I can learn something, meet some friendly people and maybe contribute something regarding resistance training.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A hell of a story. Always great to hear of someone getting started in MA's a bit later in life. Did you decide on BJJ so that you are usually in contact with your partner/opponent?
I hope you enjoy the ride and immerse yourself in the journey. Keep us updated.

OP
V

vision conquest

White Belt
Reaction score
A hell of a story. Always great to hear of someone getting started in MA's a bit later in life. Did you decide on BJJ so that you are usually in contact with your partner/opponent?
I hope you enjoy the ride and immerse yourself in the journey. Keep us updated.
G'day mate, thanks for the welcome, yes that is exactly why I chose bjj, I thought that my lack of sight wouldn't really matter in a grappling art.