New Years Resolutions

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
New Year’s resolutions, for lack of a better term:

1. Get a higher paying job.
2. Save money (see #1 for how)
3. Be fully physically ready to test for shodan

Are they really resolutions? I guess I want to check off each box before the year’s out. I’ve been trying to get a new job for 3 years now, and seriously focused on it for about 6 months.

I’ve tried everything I reasonably can to save money, but I’m paycheck to paycheck. I can do a bit better with my current salary, but there’s a balance in life. Keeping spending the same would be easy with a new job that pays more, resulting in more savings.

As far as being ready to test for shodan...
I don’t have much control of when the test will be. But I can control what kind of shape I’m in when I get the invite. Most likely near the end of the year, September-November or so. So long as this disc issue clears up soon.

They’re all goals, not really resolutions.

Resolution: Stop drinking soda.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't normally make New Years resolutions, but this year will be an exception.

2018 was a bit of a stagnant year for me. Most years recently I've been working out 4-5 days per week, training multiple martial arts, then spending the rest of my free time practicing music and studying various other subjects to improve myself. Last year various injuries, bronchial infections, asthma, and mild depression all conspired to create a mindset where I just didn't even want to exercise... or do much of anything else productive. I managed to do jiu-jitsu twice a week and that was about it.

For whatever reason, I managed to snap out of that mindset a couple of weeks ago. I feel like I've finally gotten back my motivation to exercise and do music. I've spent the last couple of weeks rehabbing my body so I can start working out harder again without injuring myself.

My resolution for this year is to keep up the momentum and return to my old habits. I want to get back to training 4-5 days per week, including picking back up some of my supplemental martial arts that went by the wayside this past year. I want to start running again. I want to practice music every day, at least a little bit.

In celebration of this resolution, I've invited any of my Facebook friends today or any day this year to post on my Facebook page a bodyweight exercise set that you want me to do that day. I will commit to completing the set and reporting back when I am done. For those of you who aren't connected to me on Facebook, you can post suggestions for me in this thread. (Each set must be something I can do within a minute. Anybody suggesting a set of 100 burpees gets a big FU. )
Any chance you could create a thread on here with the workouts people are recommending each day? I need to start getting in better shape so will absolutely join you with that goal if you do.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Any chance you could create a thread on here with the workouts people are recommending each day? I need to start getting in better shape so will absolutely join you with that goal if you do.
I’m not sure whether people will keep on posting exercises on a regular basis for me after today.

If you want to join me for today’s workout, so far I’ve done 50 squats, 50 regular pushups, 20 Judo pushups, and a short run. I still owe 15 jump squats, which I will be doing once the cat who is snuggled on my chest lets me up and 6 rounds on the heavy bag, which I will do whenever I get in to the gym.

Feel free to do those and then give me another exercise set to do.

If the challenges don’t keep coming, I do have a couple of workout programs in mind for the new year. I’d be happy to pick one if you wanted to be my online exercise partner so we could keep each other motivated.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
@Tony Dismukes
Try my favorite, called pyramids or ladders, depending on the person doing them...

I’ll make it somewhat “easy” :)

12 push-ups
12 sit-ups
12 squat thrusts/burpees
12 mountain climbers

If you’ve got access to an assisted machine/apparatus:
12 pull-ups
12 dips

Then do 11 of each. Then 10 Then 9. Then 8. Then... all the way to none. Only rest between “rounds” not exercises.

Starting at 15 of each gives you 120 reps of each exercise. Starting at 12 gives you 78. 10 gives you 55. 20 gives you 210 :)

I’d typically substitute some exercises in there depending on what equipment is available. So some days I’d do bent-over rows with kettlebells (my favorite), dumbbells, or a barbell right after push-ups and eliminate the sit-ups. It would be a push-pull thing. Other days I’d do sit-ups followed by back extensions on a Swiss ball/physio ball, and eliminate the mountain climbers.

All “old-school” stuff. Increases strength, cuts body fat, and if you’re racing a clock (but not all out racing), you’re getting cardio too. It’s been a few years since I’ve done it on my own so my memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think I had my time to about 18 minutes or so starting at 15 of each rep. I made sure they were solid reps rather than as quick as possible.

We finished wrestling practice every day with that type of workout. Typically starting at 20 and working down to none. We’d substitute some stuff with a partner like bent-over rows by having a guy lay on the mat, grabbing his wrists and using him as the weights.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not sure whether people will keep on posting exercises on a regular basis for me after today.

If you want to join me for today’s workout, so far I’ve done 50 squats, 50 regular pushups, 20 Judo pushups, and a short run. I still owe 15 jump squats, which I will be doing once the cat who is snuggled on my chest lets me up and 6 rounds on the heavy bag, which I will do whenever I get in to the gym.

If the challenges don’t keep coming, I do have a couple of workout programs in mind for the new year. I’d be happy to pick one if you wanted to be my online exercise partner so we could keep each other motivated.
Once I get home, I'll do those. It might look a bit weird if I started doing pushups in the ER. I'm going to add 100 mountain climbers to the list.

And I would absolutely be your online exercise partner. Otherwise I doubt I'll end up taking that first step of actually starting-after that it all gets easier.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
@Tony Dismukes
Try my favorite, called pyramids or ladders, depending on the person doing them...

12 push-ups
12 sit-ups
12 squat thrusts/burpees
12 mountain climbers

12 pull-ups
12 dips

Then do 11 of each. Then 10 Then 9. Then 8. Then... all the way to none. Only rest between “rounds” not exercises.

Starting at 15 of each gives you 120 reps of each exercise. Starting at 12 gives you 78. 10 gives you 55. 20 gives you 210 :)

I’d typically substitute some exercises in there depending on what equipment is available. So some days I’d do bent-over rows with kettlebells (my favorite), dumbbells, or a barbell right after push-ups and eliminate the sit-ups. It would be a push-pull thing. Other days I’d do sit-ups followed by back extensions on a Swiss ball/physio ball, and eliminate the mountain climbers.

All “old-school” stuff. Increases strength, cuts body fat, and if you’re racing a clock (but not all out racing), you’re getting cardio too. It’s been a few years since I’ve done it on my own so my memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think I had my time to about 18 minutes or so starting at 15 of each rep. I made sure they were solid reps rather than as quick as possible.

We finished wrestling practice every day with that type of workout. Typically starting at 20 and working down to none. We’d substitute some stuff with a partner like bent-over rows by having a guy lay on the mat, grabbing his wrists and using him as the weights.
Hey! One exercise per customer. That’s a full workout.

If I’m not completely wiped out by the end of the day, I might give it a try.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank you. You've made the point that I was trying to make when I first joined this forum back in 2013 and had been trying to make for years. Don't take longer than you have to when you're trying to getting something done just because you want to be patient, that's assuming taking more or less time to get it done does not affect the end result. It kept flying over people's heads. This is exactly what Im talking about when I talk about people not getting the point.

Anyway as far as new years resolutions, the idea is to get them done by the end of the year or earlier, how much earlier doesn't matter. Im going to have some resolutions for 2019 and as such I will want to get them done before January 1st 2020 but that doesn't mean Im going to wait until Dec. 31st 2019 to complete them. If Im able to complete my resolutions by October 12th 2019 so be it.

It is about taking the extra step. Not an excuse for waiting.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
New Year’s resolutions, for lack of a better term:

1. Get a higher paying job.
2. Save money (see #1 for how)
3. Be fully physically ready to test for shodan

Are they really resolutions? I guess I want to check off each box before the year’s out. I’ve been trying to get a new job for 3 years now, and seriously focused on it for about 6 months.

I’ve tried everything I reasonably can to save money, but I’m paycheck to paycheck. I can do a bit better with my current salary, but there’s a balance in life. Keeping spending the same would be easy with a new job that pays more, resulting in more savings.

As far as being ready to test for shodan...
I don’t have much control of when the test will be. But I can control what kind of shape I’m in when I get the invite. Most likely near the end of the year, September-November or so. So long as this disc issue clears up soon.

They’re all goals, not really resolutions.

Resolution: Stop drinking soda.

Nobody goes in to a fight wishing they had less cardio.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
@Tony Dismukes

12 push-ups
12 sit-ups
12 squat thrusts/burpees
12 mountain climbers

12 pull-ups
12 dips

One "old school" exercise that I always felt was very effective in wrestling was suicides on the basketball court. Start at the out of bounds line and sprint to the foul line, squat and tap the line, then sprint back. Repeat to half court, the opposite foul line, then the opposite out of bounds. 20 of those would kick my axx. But if you done them hard they were great conditioning drills. Sometimes we would alternate doing them in pairs so you got a brief blow between sprints.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't normally make New Years resolutions, but this year will be an exception.

2018 was a bit of a stagnant year for me. Most years recently I've been working out 4-5 days per week, training multiple martial arts, then spending the rest of my free time practicing music and studying various other subjects to improve myself. Last year various injuries, bronchial infections, asthma, and mild depression all conspired to create a mindset where I just didn't even want to exercise... or do much of anything else productive. I managed to do jiu-jitsu twice a week and that was about it.

For whatever reason, I managed to snap out of that mindset a couple of weeks ago. I feel like I've finally gotten back my motivation to exercise and do music. I've spent the last couple of weeks rehabbing my body so I can start working out harder again without injuring myself.

My resolution for this year is to keep up the momentum and return to my old habits. I want to get back to training 4-5 days per week, including picking back up some of my supplemental martial arts that went by the wayside this past year. I want to start running again. I want to practice music every day, at least a little bit.

In celebration of this resolution, I've invited any of my Facebook friends today or any day this year to post on my Facebook page a bodyweight exercise set that you want me to do that day. I will commit to completing the set and reporting back when I am done. For those of you who aren't connected to me on Facebook, you can post suggestions for me in this thread. (Each set must be something I can do within a minute. Anybody suggesting a set of 100 burpees gets a big FU. )
Good on ya Tony that's awesome :). I also aim to do more music stuff too

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One "old school" exercise that I always felt was very effective in wrestling was suicides on the basketball court. Start at the out of bounds line and sprint to the foul line, squat and tap the line, then sprint back. Repeat to half court, the opposite foul line, then the opposite out of bounds. 20 of those would kick my axx. But if you done them hard they were great conditioning drills. Sometimes we would alternate doing them in pairs so you got a brief blow between sprints.
I don’t know what I hated more in wrestling - suicides or “spinning.”

We’d do them seemingly forever. Coach would blow the whistle, we’d do a cross-face and change direction. And being the bottom guy was no picnic either. You had to stay strong in your base and not get pushed around.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't done suicides in ages. I need to find out if my knees will let me. I hated them and loved them at the same time.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don’t know what I hated more in wrestling - suicides or “spinning.”

We’d do them seemingly forever. Coach would blow the whistle, we’d do a cross-face and change direction. And being the bottom guy was no picnic either. You had to stay strong in your base and not get pushed around.
Man, the heavyweight doing them looks rough for the guy on bottom.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
  1. Hey! One exercise per customer. That’s a full workout.
If I’m not completely wiped out by the end of the day, I might give it a try.

Hey Tony, it's late in the day so give this a go tomorrow.

I call them layer push ups.
From the up position go down a third of the way, hold it for a count of five, then go down two thirds of the way and hold for count of five, then go all the way down and hold for count of five.

Then reverse..third of the way up and hold, two thirds of the way up and hold and then back up to starting position..that's 1.

Do 5.

I just inspired myself, so I'll do them with you.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Tony, it's late in the day so give this a go tomorrow.

I call them layer push ups.
From the up position go down a third of the way, hold it for a count of five, then go down two thirds of the way and hold for count of five, then go all the way down and hold for count of five.

Then reverse..third of the way up and hold, two thirds of the way up and hold and then back up to starting position..that's 1.

Do 5.

I just inspired myself, so I'll do them with you.
I was getting ready for bed, so I went ahead and did that as my last set for the day.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Finished all but the short run...way too cold by the time I got out for that, and the heavy bag since I don't have one. I need to inform Sam I Am that I do not like Judo pushups.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure I would pass out when I got to the other end of the court.
That seems a bit early. I think I can make it back to the 3-point line at that end of the court...if I'm allowed to stretch my arms out, like going for a touchdown.