New Years Resolutions

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does that mean you get two "new years" every 12 months? :D

if I celebrated the December/January one I guess it would but I'll be in bed when midnight strikes.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if I celebrated the December/January one I guess it would but I'll be in bed when midnight strikes.
You're not milking the system enough, Tez.

Seriously, though, does observing the Jewish calendar ever cause any actual issues, other than the occasional need to roll your eyes at those of us who think there's only one calendar?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I drink 3-5 cups of coffee a day. I'm using recent research (that heavy coffee drinkers have higher longevity) as my excuse. Excuses are easier than resolutions. :p

If 3-5 cups is 'heavy', wtl is my consumption rated as?

And if greater longevity scales with consumption, I should live to be 38,549,345 years old :D

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're not milking the system enough, Tez.

Seriously, though, does observing the Jewish calendar ever cause any actual issues, other than the occasional need to roll your eyes at those of us who think there's only one calendar?

Not really, as long as you can keep two calendars in your head, we also have different days and months. Our days start at a different time too, at sundown. Many different cultures have different calendars, for example it's not Christmas in Russia until January 7th. My Gurkha shift partner also lives by a different calendar, his New Year is in April. Chinese New Year is probably the most famous though of the 'others'.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I drink 3-5 cups of coffee a day. I'm using recent research (that heavy coffee drinkers have higher longevity) as my excuse. Excuses are easier than resolutions. :p

I'm drinking a cup of coffee as I read this. God, I feel so current.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I meant mine, and I made it about 20 years ago and I have meant it every year....and I will again in 2019...my resolution was to never make anther New Years Resolution....and I have not made one since
Well that in itself is a resolution.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes it is..that is what I said......I made it and it is the only one I ever kept...and it was many years ago
Well if you made a resolution to not make resolutions than you are breaking that very resolution by having it in the first place. A catch 22.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well if you made a resolution to not make resolutions than you are breaking that very resolution by having it in the first place. A catch 22.
It would be even better if he had a resolution not to ever keep another resolution.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who doesn't love Patsy! Very sad that Dame June Whitfield died. I loved Ab Fab. If you haven't watched the series, make it a new Year resolution!

abfab.jpg

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't normally make New Years resolutions, but this year will be an exception.

2018 was a bit of a stagnant year for me. Most years recently I've been working out 4-5 days per week, training multiple martial arts, then spending the rest of my free time practicing music and studying various other subjects to improve myself. Last year various injuries, bronchial infections, asthma, and mild depression all conspired to create a mindset where I just didn't even want to exercise... or do much of anything else productive. I managed to do jiu-jitsu twice a week and that was about it.

For whatever reason, I managed to snap out of that mindset a couple of weeks ago. I feel like I've finally gotten back my motivation to exercise and do music. I've spent the last couple of weeks rehabbing my body so I can start working out harder again without injuring myself.

My resolution for this year is to keep up the momentum and return to my old habits. I want to get back to training 4-5 days per week, including picking back up some of my supplemental martial arts that went by the wayside this past year. I want to start running again. I want to practice music every day, at least a little bit.

In celebration of this resolution, I've invited any of my Facebook friends today or any day this year to post on my Facebook page a bodyweight exercise set that you want me to do that day. I will commit to completing the set and reporting back when I am done. For those of you who aren't connected to me on Facebook, you can post suggestions for me in this thread. (Each set must be something I can do within a minute. Anybody suggesting a set of 100 burpees gets a big FU. )

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't normally make New Years resolutions, but this year will be an exception.

2018 was a bit of a stagnant year for me. Most years recently I've been working out 4-5 days per week, training multiple martial arts, then spending the rest of my free time practicing music and studying various other subjects to improve myself. Last year various injuries, bronchial infections, asthma, and mild depression all conspired to create a mindset where I just didn't even want to exercise... or do much of anything else productive. I managed to do jiu-jitsu twice a week and that was about it.

For whatever reason, I managed to snap out of that mindset a couple of weeks ago. I feel like I've finally gotten back my motivation to exercise and do music. I've spent the last couple of weeks rehabbing my body so I can start working out harder again without injuring myself.

My resolution for this year is to keep up the momentum and return to my old habits. I want to get back to training 4-5 days per week, including picking back up some of my supplemental martial arts that went by the wayside this past year. I want to start running again. I want to practice music every day, at least a little bit.

In celebration of this resolution, I've invited any of my Facebook friends today or any day this year to post on my Facebook page a bodyweight exercise set that you want me to do that day. I will commit to completing the set and reporting back when I am done. For those of you who aren't connected to me on Facebook, you can post suggestions for me in this thread. (Each set must be something I can do within a minute. Anybody suggesting a set of 100 burpees gets a big FU. )
Excellent goal, Tony. So, 93 burpees? :D

Seriously, I'll suggest one of my favorites: Judo push-ups (the only name I know them by). There's also a simpler version, down-dog pushups (also sometimes called dive bomber push-ups), which returns to the start directly, rather than reversing the "swoop".

axelb

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I reached some of my resolutions, and made improvements in other areas instead of meeting all targets.

Deadlift 190kg or more - met target
Bench over 110kg - went to 112.5kg :)
Full box/side splits - down to 3 inches from ground, best I've ever managed.

10km PR (sub 46min30s) managed 49'02", 3rd best time. Beat all time 5km time 23'04"

Primary target; go 6 months without chest infections/bronchitis /antibiotic free.
Beat target! I went over a year!

This came with sacrifices to other targets, but better in the long run, as for the last 10 years I've been on a course of antibiotics every 1-3 months.

I want to retain this streak, so next year targets will be a little more achievable to prevent me over training.

2019 targets:
Go 9 months without chest infection.

Deadlift at least 195kg.
Bench over 115kg.
10km in under 47'30"
Box splits under 2 inches.
Focus on guard training in BJJ - retaining guard, recovering from underneath to guard and passing others guard.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Excellent goal, Tony. So, 93 burpees? :D

Seriously, I'll suggest one of my favorites: Judo push-ups (the only name I know them by). There's also a simpler version, down-dog pushups (also sometimes called dive bomber push-ups), which returns to the start directly, rather than reversing the "swoop".

We do a similar pushup we call a dipping pushup. Feet are spread apart and you do the same "dipping", follow through motion with the whole body except we keep going with the forward motion, completing the upward motion, then rolling back to the start position. Basically making a counter-clockwise circle as big as you can. The whole body should engage, starting with the feet inverted, then through the circle until the feet are extended as much as possible, then back to the starting position.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Depends on patience for what...

If you intend to do something that is a positive and beneficial change to your life, why delay it just so you can assign it as a resolution?

Patience for the sake of it is ridiculous.
That’s not patience at all. That’s procrastination.

Knowing something you should do that’s beneficial to you, and you can start at any time, but you put it off until some arbitrary date (like New Year’s Day) isn’t the definition of patience in any way.

Now if it’s something you truly want/need to do but absolutely can’t until a future time, then yes, one must exercise patience.

Latest Discussions