New TOW is in.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
I agree; however, "most people" will never be faster with their hands down than the attacker with their hands up. That is another problem with technique lines. Dummies as you call them slow there attacks down so the guy can do his tech. This causes people to be lulled into a false sense of security and speed; hence, the culture of the step through punch is passed on from student to student. (nobody's fault)
Sean

How do you practice your techs?? Do you do any tech. lines??

Mike

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
How do you practice your techs?? Do you do any tech. lines??

Mike
Modified technique lines are OK,but the feet toguether, hands at your side thing is out. Like I said when that becomes the norm, there is a problem. Its a great what if or even and "even if", but I prefer "only if".
Sean

J

jeffkyle

Touch'O'Death said:
Yes, you do want your hands up if your opponent is kicking at you.
Sean

Even If it is a low kick to the groin. Why?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
block them suckers with your legs.
sean

Actually, leg blocks are very effective. I've used them during sparring as well as during SD against kicks to the groin.

Mike

K

kenpo12

"however, "most people" will never be faster with their hands down than the attacker with their hands up."

I know that, I will repost the specific quote of mine that covered this.

"if you practice with your hands down, and you get fast enough to pull off the technique from that position, think of how much better you will be able to react if you can get your hands up in a real situation."

Additionally, like I said before "hands down" is NOT the only way we do it.

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kenpo12 said:
"however, "most people" will never be faster with their hands down than the attacker with their hands up."

"if you practice with your hands down, and you get fast enough to pull off the technique from that position, think of how much better you will be able to react if you can get your hands up in a real situation."

I won't pursue your logic further (just think how much further north you would be if you were one mile north of the north pole); so I will ... er ... conceed your point. :uhyeah: (Because I think you are headed south again)
Sean

Dark Kenpo Lord

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Once the hands are up, you've lost the neutrality to use centerline as effectively, kinda like being in a stance and having 180 degrees instead of a natural position and having the freedom of 360 degrees to move within. A technique like Circling the Horizon works this principle of centerline and simultaneous movement as well as Flashing Mace.

BTW, the clip was about Circular Grafting.

Dark Lord

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dark Kenpo Lord said:
Once the hands are up, you've lost the neutrality to use centerline as effectively, kinda like being in a stance and having 180 degrees instead of a natural position and having the freedom of 360 degrees to move within. A technique like Circling the Horizon works this principle of centerline and simultaneous movement as well as Flashing Mace.

BTW, the clip was about Circular Grafting.

Dark Lord
Yes, the methods I describe certainly limit your choices. :asian:

R

rmcrobertson

"the culture of the step-through punch," eh?

Maybe in your school, Sean. In mine, I regularly get chewed out (and snack a little myself) for a) perfect step-throughs, b) languid attacks.

Or to quote das Clyde, it's all about, "the spirit of the attack." To quote Mr. Tatum (and reason 1,243 to keep all the "useless stuff," in kenpo), in dummying well, you are learning how to attack properly.

It was a darn good phrase though. I believe I shall adopt it.

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
"the culture of the step-through punch," eh?

Maybe in your school, Sean. In mine, I regularly get chewed out (and snack a little myself) for a) perfect step-throughs, b) languid attacks.

Or to quote das Clyde, it's all about, "the spirit of the attack." To quote Mr. Tatum (and reason 1,243 to keep all the "useless stuff," in kenpo), in dummying well, you are learning how to attack properly.

It was a darn good phrase though. I believe I shall adopt it.
Try getting chewed out for doing a stepthrough punch at all. LOL
Sean :asian:

Kenpodoc

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
kenpo12 said:

Personally I like to do it, hands up, hands down, one hand up and one down, from the front, from the Left, from the Right, opponent step through punch, Lead hand jab, Right cross, Kick punch and any other variation you can find. Some work better than others but being comfortable with different points of origen is fun and useful.

Jeff

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kenpodoc said:
Personally I like to do it, hands up, hands down, one hand up and one down, from the front, from the Left, from the Right, opponent step through punch, Lead hand jab, Right cross, Kick punch and any other variation you can find. Some work better than others but being comfortable with different points of origen is fun and useful.

Jeff
Usefull, it seems to me, would be to assign certain techs to certain points of origin by catagory and circumstance, although I must admit the lure of being able to choose anything is tempting, but it would be like being in a video store that has too many movies; it takes longer to choose. Which brings me to flaw in my argument, I'm white dot focusing(OFK) on speed, which I must admit was not the subject of the TOW: so, I'll shut up now :asian:

Latest Discussions