New TOW is in.

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
What was the old Parker quote? "If someone is swinging at your head, what's the first thing you should move? Your head!".
"Speed is when the target to be reached last is the first to be moved out of the way" its been a while.
Sean

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
Choosing to use your hands at all will slow the stepping off the line of attack down to that speed. One is slower the other is faster. If you can pull off the defanging the cobra thing, you were ready and waiting.
Sean

Not sure what you mean here. Maybe I'm reading it wrong. How will using your hands slow you down while moving?? I've moved off line and done a parry at the same time, while starting with hands down.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
Flashing mace is definantly one of those "only if" techs. I've heard that new first move called defanging the snake. Its really cool and flashing mace is one of many techs you can do out of it; however, the lesson should be about that or about blending FM with LC, not just a casual, "here's how ya do it."
One lesson at a time.
Sean

First, IMO, the TOW is about blending the 2 techs together, not the limb destruction. Second, its amazing how this thread is getting sooooo far off track here.

Mike

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
First, IMO, the TOW is about blending the 2 techs together, not the limb destruction. Second, its amazing how this thread is getting sooooo far off track here.

Mike
If it helps, watch the TOW with the sound down. Then his lesson does not interfere with what you are seeing, and what you are seeing is Kenpo. Oddly enough, that is what is being discussed on this thread; so, No, it has not gone off topic one little bit. (you'll notice whom started the thread)
Sean

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
Not sure what you mean here. Maybe I'm reading it wrong. How will using your hands slow you down while moving?? I've moved off line and done a parry at the same time, while starting with hands down.

Mike
You are faster with your hands up. Deal with it.
Sean

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
If it helps, watch the TOW with the sound down. Then his lesson does not interfere with what you are seeing, and what you are seeing is Kenpo. Oddly enough, that is what is being discussed on this thread; so, No, it has not gone off topic one little bit. (you'll notice whom started the thread)
Sean

Obviously, with all of the people watching this, we of course, are going to have different view points. I watched it and saw that he was teaching about grafting 2 techs. together. When I made ref. to the fact that the thread got off track, I was referring to the hands being down. Again, it appears that we're all getting something different from it.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
You are faster with your hand up. deal with it.
Sean

So basically, you're making it sound like if you ever get caught with your hands down, youre gonna be screwed??? There are many different ways to avoid a hit. If you get caught off guard, and cant bring your hands up quick enough, you're not going to be any slower just by moving your head. Deal with the fact that there are many ways to block/avoid/defend!

Mike

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
You are faster with your hand up. deal with it.
Sean

The block is faster with the hands up, obviously, duh.

But having my hands up doesn't make me step off the line of attack faster (sorry don't buy it).

As for doing techniques from a natural stance (hands at your sides) while in a technique line, I think it conditions the student to move faster from an unprepared position.

I'm not wrong this time Sean. Sorry. :moon:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bill Lear said:

But having my hands up doesn't make me step off the line of attack faster (sorry don't buy it).

As for doing techniques from a natural stance (hands at your sides) while in a technique line, I think it conditions the student to move faster from an unprepared position.

Thank you!!

Mike

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill Lear said:

Quite the contrary, techniques lines with feet on the same line and hands at their sides, trains them all to be slow. Its bad dope man! However you can believe what you want and ignore the lessons the techs teach all you want its your version of the art. Enjoy
Sean

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill Lear said:

If you buy sycronization of body, mind, and breath. Why, if one is slower, wouln't the whole dynamic be effected? Or is that whole syncronization thing a farse?
I'm curious to hear your answer, as well, MJS.
Sean

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
If you buy sycronization of body, mind, and breath. Why, if one is slower, wouln't the whole dynamic be effected? Or is that whole syncronization thing a farse?
I'm curious to hear your answer, as well, MJS.
Sean

That's why you step and block at the same time... Your body is catching up to your arms if you already have them up when you step (That was called "Jet Lag" by Mr. Parker, and it isn't a good thing)... Dood... Your'e wrong again.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
Quite the contrary, techniques lines with feet on the same line and hands at their sides, trains them all to be slow. Its bad dope man! However you can believe what you want and ignore the lessons the techs teach all you want its your version of the art. Enjoy
Sean

Well, like I said before, we all see different things here. I still dont see how having your hands up or down is going to make a difference. Of course, if you're looking to block, its gonna be faster, but as for moving, I still dont buy it either. Look at a boxer. Now, he has his hands up and I dont think it slows him down when he bobs to the side.

Another thing to keep in mind, is that even if the feet are together, you will still be moving out of the way as the hands are coming up, so you're still getting out of the way and avoiding the hit. Even if you're standing in a bow, just the moving of the head, without the feet, still avoids the hit.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
TOD- I think my above post addresses your question. I posted that even prior to reading your response.

Mike

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill Lear said:
That's why you step and block at the same time... Your body is catching up to your arms if you already have them up when you step (That was called "Jet Lag" by Mr. Parker, and it isn't a good thing)... Dood... Your'e wrong again.
What are you talking about? This all happens at the same time or it doesn't. Are you saying its best to have your arms down to prevent jet lag, or are your feet not fast enough getting off the line of attack? Its OK to sync your mind with your body and breath you know. Now your wrong. :supcool:

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
Sean

In all of the video that I've ever seen of Mr. Parker over the years... I have never seen him start a technique with his hands up before the attack was thrown... Maybe he was wrong too.

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
What are you talking about? This all happens at the same time or it doesn't. Are you saying its best to have your arms down to prevent jet lag, or are your feet not fast enough getting off the line of attack? Its OK to sync your mind with your body and breath you know. Now your wrong. :supcool:

It is obvious that you aren't reading my posts. I'm done trying to discuss this with you. :asian:

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill Lear said:
Oh, did I not read this right?

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill Lear said:
In all of the video that I've ever seen of Mr. Parker over the years... I have never seen him start a technique with his hands up before the attack was thrown... Maybe he was wrong too.
Maybe, the art I study is an ever changing ever evolving art; how about you?
Sean

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
Maybe, the art I study is an ever changing ever evolving art; how about you?
Sean

Go evolve Sean. When you're done growing wings look around you and think about what you lost and what you gained in the process?

Latest Discussions