new to Wing Chun

Darrencowan

Green Belt
Reaction score
To the OP. My brother in law is going for his 3rd Dan in TKD. What does he find most "interesting" when we spar, or I even just demonstrate something? How close I get for striking. If TKD is your only previous experience you may find it a bit "off" how much closer in WC operates (along with all of the other good points already raised.)

Very true. I study close combat like Wing Chung. Getting that close makes most people uncomfortable. That being said, though, I've also found it hard to get inside some of the distance strikers I've worked out with. One of my good friends in college was a brown belt (?) in Tae Kwon Do and studied Nin-jitsu. He was very quick and I had a hard time finding my range. I'll never forget the jump kick he hit me with on my solar plexus. I would like to learn more distance training, Tae Kwon Do high kicks, bouncing movements. My uncle is a NI Dan in Tae Kwon Do. We often shared wisdom. He was very fond of the slippery side kick.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very true. I study close combat like Wing Chung. Getting that close makes most people uncomfortable. That being said, though, I've also found it hard to get inside some of the distance strikers I've worked out with. One of my good friends in college was a brown belt (?) in Tae Kwon Do and studied Nin-jitsu. He was very quick and I had a hard time finding my range. I'll never forget the jump kick he hit me with on my solar plexus. I would like to learn more distance training, Tae Kwon Do high kicks, bouncing movements. My uncle is a NI Dan in Tae Kwon Do. We often shared wisdom. He was very fond of the slippery side kick.

Well that's one of the things sparing with my bro-in-law is helping him with. He is constantly getting better at keeping me outside. I will have to start working harder at getting inside soon enough :)

OP
Michael89

Michael89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
well, I did my last day of 2 week trial last Thursday. I've made up my mind and I feel like I could learn a lot from WC so I'm going to join it soon. :D

WingChunChick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was in karate before wing chun. My advice is don't expect. Don't build up any expectations just open your mind and go with the flow. Trust me, none of your previous style is going to transfer it's a totally different way of using your body.

D

Dylan9d

I was in karate before wing chun. My advice is don't expect. Don't build up any expectations just open your mind and go with the flow. Trust me, none of your previous style is going to transfer it's a totally different way of using your body.

Thats why I never got into WC. The stuff I learned from Silat contained the very same principles only with a much more natural way of moving.

Im glad the OP found something he likes.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thats why I never got into WC. The stuff I learned from Silat contained the very same principles only with a much more natural way of moving.

Im glad the OP found something he likes.

I've heard that from other people as well. I did Aikido, Judo and then some Karate until I "took a break" from formal training. I current study both Kali and WC ATM and while there are definitely some differences in the body mechanics I like them both for different reasons.

I like the Kali because, as you said, it is more natural, I refer to it as "the Flow." I like the WC, because at least the way it is taught to me, it is very Scientific. This appeals to the analytical side of me. I find that people who aren't saying "ooooooh Yip Man/Donnie Yen/Bruce Lee" etc tend to have a bent towards an analytical mindset. Not all of them mind you, there are no hard and fast rules in that regard but if you are like me, the kind of guy who will actually look at MA's and at times for fun, break it down using Newtonian physics, there is a good chance you will like YM WC. ;)

Reactions: KPM
OP
Michael89

Michael89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
that is why I want to take wing chun so I can understand it better and use in different way.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmmmm....let's see...
- bickering
- in fighting
- politics
- "...but my Sifu said"...
- you don't know/train the real/true wing chun
- ambiguity
- and a bunch of people who take Donnie Yen films too literally
:D :D :D
Oh how so very true. If I knew then what I know now, I would have taken up bingo instead.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
A wise man once told me...."you get a bunch of martial artists together and a fight breaks out! Go figure!" ;)

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've heard that from other people as well. I did Aikido, Judo and then some Karate until I "took a break" from formal training. I current study both Kali and WC ATM and while there are definitely some differences in the body mechanics I like them both for different reasons.

I like the Kali because, as you said, it is more natural, I refer to it as "the Flow." I like the WC, because at least the way it is taught to me, it is very Scientific. This appeals to the analytical side of me. I find that people who aren't saying "ooooooh Yip Man/Donnie Yen/Bruce Lee" etc tend to have a bent towards an analytical mindset. Not all of them mind you, there are no hard and fast rules in that regard but if you are like me, the kind of guy who will actually look at MA's and at times for fun, break it down using Newtonian physics, there is a good chance you will like YM WC. ;)

One of my old classmates was an engineer. We were talking about all the WC bashing that goes on (OUTSIDE the style...not between lineages), and he said, "This style is a direct application of Newton's laws." In fact, a lot of people at that school were on the fast track to becoming physicists.

wingerjim

Green Belt
Reaction score
As taekwondo guy what should I expect from wing chun? I trained in Taekwondo for ten years on and off now.
Like others said, relax more, sink lower in your stance, keep you hips and shoulders square and mind your center-line. Also don't put weight on your front foot, don't twist at your waist, keep your elbows in and hands relaxed and a whole lot more.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like others said, relax more, sink lower in your stance, keep you hips and shoulders square and mind your center-line. Also don't put weight on your front foot, don't twist at your waist, keep your elbows in and hands relaxed and a whole lot more.
On twisting the waist I would say "follow your Sifu". Some WC/VT Lineages don't really do it at all, others however will use hip/waist rotation (never enough to violate centerline theory though) to assist in power generation.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good news. Sorry I haven't been on here lately. I just became full time last month at where I work at now so better pay now and I just joined Wing Chun School 3 week ago, I go 3 days a week. I love it!
Congratulations on the full-time employment and the WC!

Latest Discussions