new to Wing Chun

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
To the OP. My brother in law is going for his 3rd Dan in TKD. What does he find most "interesting" when we spar, or I even just demonstrate something? How close I get for striking. If TKD is your only previous experience you may find it a bit "off" how much closer in WC operates (along with all of the other good points already raised.)

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I played with a really good TKD guy once and was impressed with how effective he was at maintaining that distance and how dangerous he was from it.

We are philospohically opposite.

OP
Michael89

Michael89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
well, today is my first day of training at WC school. which I think it will be into to wing chun. I'll let you guys know how it go.

OP
Michael89

Michael89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
after 2nd day of WC training. I like it so far it's so different and it's moves more smoothly. Sifu asked me if I have any experience in martial art so I told him with respectably as I can be "just Taekwondo and some Hapkido" and then asked me what rank am I in Taekwondo so I told him "2nd Degree black belt." He asked me what am I looking for in his school and I told him "just want to do something different and new, I need to learn how to be more relax, I need help with dealing with anxiety and he was like "well then, you came to right place." so far I am learning Siu Nim Tao, stance, punches and self defenses, jointlocks. footworks and their way of kickings (which I find it the hardest thing to learn so far) and get repeating told "relax" or "loose up" I was there like an hour and half each night. when Sifu teaching me self defense moves, he would ask me what I would have done in taekwondo way so I showed him and he would be "okay but what if someone does this and you would be leaving yourself quite open." I like it because it really show me a different method and really have to step out of my comfort zone. He does not hold back which something I need. but yeah I enjoy it so far. turned out there was some students used to take Taekwondo. some had same TKD teacher as I had.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
I played with a really good TKD guy once and was impressed with how effective he was at maintaining that distance and how dangerous he was from it.

Yeah I think working with my brother in law is helping us both actually. In the beginning, even though he is more experienced at TKD than I am in WC he had issues maintaining his distance. As we have progressed he has gotten better at maintaining distance and as a consequence I have been forced to get better at closing.

Imo, if you really want to use whatever MA you study for real life encounters, you need to get outside your school and use what you have learned against other systems. Before you do this though make sure your foundation is solid and start with "light" sparring.

If you lack the proper foundation and get put under the added pressure of facing another system you can easily end up losing your art in the heat of the moment and that defeats the purpose of the exercise. The same applies if you go straight into full on sparring. The first time you aren't facing "your" art, and the unexpected just keeps flying at you can be a very eye popping experience.

Last edited:

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
There were countless TKD people who came to the first WC school where I studied. They were all impressed by the simplicity and directness.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score

In a way, this relates to some things that were being discussed on a different thread that I started.

The TKD practitioner kept his distance, forcing you to play his "game." Meanwhile, you were trying to bridge the gap so he would be forced to play YOURS.

I'm sure he was equally impressed with how you CLOSED the distance, and how dangerous you were up close.

D

Dylan9d

- TKD guys like kicking range.
- WC guys like punching range.
- Wrestlers like clinching range.

In order to be good in all 3 ranges, "cross training" will be needed.

We Silat guys like all those ranges and we don't need to cross train :)

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
And another one gone, and another one gone, another one bites the dust!

So sick of the people who want to make this site lose its "FRIENDLY martial arts community" namesake.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

So sick of the people who want to make this site lose its "FRIENDLY martial arts community" namesake.

Sorry, but I didn't take anything Dylan has been saying as "unfriendly." He was only pointing out that Silat often does function in multiple ranges, just as JKD does.

D

Dylan9d

Good. So go post on the Silat board. :)

The one that's unfriendly about it is you. Maybe split the topic and put the posts were TKD is mentioned in the TKD section.

Or maybe you shouldn't be so uptight about everything, relax....that's what they teach you at Wing Chun right?

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry, but I didn't take anything Dylan has been saying as "unfriendly." He was only pointing out that Silat often does function in multiple ranges, just as JKD does.

Well, that is the sad thing about the internet, I guess. The inability to hear inflection means no one can truly know how you meant something. Therefore, it is open to interpretation. I mean, there are multiple times where things I have said on here that I thought were either innocent or in jest caused someone to get mad.

Reactions: KPM

Cephalopod

Green Belt
Reaction score
after 2nd day of WC training. I like it so far it's so different and it's moves more smoothly. Sifu asked me if I have any experience in martial art so I told him with respectably as I can be "just Taekwondo and some Hapkido" and then asked me what rank am I in Taekwondo so I told him "2nd Degree black belt." He asked me what am I looking for in his school and I told him "just want to do something different and new, I need to learn how to be more relax, I need help with dealing with anxiety and he was like "well then, you came to right place." so far I am learning Siu Nim Tao, stance, punches and self defenses, jointlocks. footworks and their way of kickings (which I find it the hardest thing to learn so far) and get repeating told "relax" or "loose up" I was there like an hour and half each night. when Sifu teaching me self defense moves, he would ask me what I would have done in taekwondo way so I showed him and he would be "okay but what if someone does this and you would be leaving yourself quite open." I like it because it really show me a different method and really have to step out of my comfort zone. He does not hold back which something I need. but yeah I enjoy it so far. turned out there was some students used to take Taekwondo. some had same TKD teacher as I had.

Hey, if I could interrupt, I just wanted to give a shout out to the OP.

Michael, good job on your first classes! You did the right thing and coolly owned up to your prior experience. Your sifu then proved himself chill and confident about it. Frankly, if he or his senior students had felt the need to challenge you on it, you would have known there's no point in coming back for a second class. In my club, we're thrilled when somebody shows up with some other martial expertise...learning how to deal with different approaches makes us all better.

So, it seems like you've found a good learning environment. Right on. Persevere and enjoy!!
And by the way...Relax! Loosen up your shoulders!! ;)

Darrencowan

Green Belt
Reaction score
I studied one class of Wing Chung while in college. It was down in Goldsworth pond at Western Michigan University. I like how Wing Chun really channels into energy and the flow of energy. I thought your kumate practices were very interesting.

Darrencowan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hmmmm....let's see...
- bickering
- in fighting
- politics
- "...but my Sifu said"...
- you don't know/train the real/true wing chun
- ambiguity
- and a bunch of people who take Donnie Yen films too literally
:D :D :D

Should we take Donnie Yen seriously? He seems pretty stacked to me. Of course, IP Man and Bruce Lee were pretty descent.