New to this forum

DArnold

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear New Brothers and Sisters in Martial Arts,
I just read my first thread by doubljay on McDojo's (and I enjoyed it). It was refresing to not see people trashing each other even when they disagreed. I wanted to get some opinions from you.

The last BBS system I was on was strictly TKD-ITF (And all they do is trash each other) Here an instructor had posted that the level of Black Belt was strictly related to how well you could defend yourself or kick someones A$$.

Most all seemed to accept this which blew me away. When I told them that kicking someones A$$ was not the purpose of any martial art they could not believe me. To which they replied "What else is a MA for?"

They went on and on about how self-defense was the end-all-be-all of TKD. I told them self-defense has to be learned but it was only a minor part of MA training and what we are about. All day I have been having a flash back to when "The Karate Kid" first came out and everyone used to bring in their kids wanting me to teach them how to kick someone elses butt. This put me over the top and I was ashamed to be associated with "these" TKD people.

From most history I have read the MA's were associated with so much more, like how to heal someone, help someone, make them a better person, pass on knowledge... (Granted most organizations have a lofty code of ethics that get subverted by $$)

From my upbringing I was taught that the physical side of the art was only half and the tenets of the art were the other half: Courtsey, Integrity, Perserverence, Indomitable Spirt, Self Controll. Also, that teaching someone how to kill another person when they do not have the proper mental ability is like putting a gun in a whacko's hand.

As an instructor for I do want my students to be able to defend themselves (As I still like being beaten into the ground by a hard work out as much as I did when I was 18). But I care much more for them as how they develop as a Human Beings. Beyond this, I look for intangables in my students like moral culture, trust, ethics, honesty, reliability, self discipline...
as well as the ability to kick and punch.

When talking about the McDojo aspect I have come to realize that there are a lot of good people out there that don't have a clue about what I am talking about. For a miriad of reasons: no one to show them the way, looking for rank instead of knowledge, the way they were raised, their cup is already full... Many believe that whatever the organization sets as the minimum testing time is is all you need to do to get promoted.

After my long winded problem, I guess my question is, "Do any of you look for/test these traits before you promote students?"

Or, have the arts just turned into Kicking A$$?

Signed Depressed

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First and foremost Welcome and you have found the Best MA site on the web, of course I'm kinda partial to this one.
Terry

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We're glad to have you with us. There are many here on MT involved in TKD who feel the same way you do. Thank you for making such a great first post and I look forward to others contributing to this thread.

I, for one, initially did start in martial arts for self-defense. I still do, to a point, but that reason became smaller as my journey has expanded to several other reasons. I have found along the way (because of wonderful instructors who are passionate about what they do and teach), that there is much more to martial arts than what seem to be on the surface.

- Ceicei

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Ceicei. As a female, I started MA for self defense. But I also changed the reasons why I train. It's more for the character, discipline, ect. I am testing for BB in April, and I'm still wondering if I have the mental attitude for it. Maybe its a modesty thing, but I am still wondering if I'm ready mentally.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome DArnold to MartialTalk! Hope you have a better time here then you had with your past experiences. We are an odd lot, but a good bunch all around. Many excellent TKD practitioners on board, of which I am not one ;).

Just to let you know, we have a profanity filter in place, so no need for you to do it. Much appreciate you taking the initiative, however :)

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to post in the support forum or pm a mod.

Again, I hope you find a new home here and I look forward to your posts.

Lisa

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome, DArnold, to MT. After reading your post, I think you'll find many here who share the same feeling about the arts as you do. Though the physical abilities one inherits from the study of MA's is important, for many it is not the primary focus of their study. Generally speaking, most here don't really care what brought you or motivates you. Just that you're training and participating. Please feel free to join us and leave that "depression" for the other board.

Regards,

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome DArnold! You have good principles and ideals for you students, try not to concern yourself with things that others do that go against that. You will have a school full of quality students, who respect what they have learned. :asian:

I look forward to your participation here!

MJ :)

Just a note...no need to swap $$ for your ss. The profanity filter will take care of words that are not allowed.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
Just a note...no need to swap $$ for your ss.

Sounds like something you say to a prostitute.:p

Sorry. Had to be said....Carry on...

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome DArnold. Like you, I've also seen my share of "What if you were attacked by a gorilla w/ a switchblade...on the street?!" threads on other boards. Sadly, there are a lot of folks in MA who have dead-end jobs or don't feel they're treated well by society so when they get on the mat they lord their "Sensei-ness" (It'sa word now!) over their students.

Here on MT, I've been very pleasantly surprised to find many high ranking & mature TKD (& other MA-ists) who are just as interested in developing character in their students as a decent side kick.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although you got a mixed response so far from TKD'oins, MMA'ers, Kenpoists, etc. I would venture to say most of the TKD'oins on this board aren't in that category. In fact, alot of them are old school trained. I know in my school those that don't adhere, know the tenets and more, we have keys too, that they won't get promoted to BB. Self defense as you say is important, but not our focus either. Not really the way of Taekwondo today, IMO.

I look forward to your contributions on the board as well. TW

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
DArnold said:
As an instructor for I do want my students to be able to defend themselves (As I still like being beaten into the ground by a hard work out as much as I did when I was 18). But I care much more for them as how they develop as a Human Beings. Beyond this, I look for intangables in my students like moral culture, trust, ethics, honesty, reliability, self discipline...as well as the ability to kick and punch....... I guess my question is, "Do any of you look for/test these traits before you promote students?"

Signed Depressed

Welcome to MT! Don't be depressed, look at it as an opportunity for change.

At it's lowest level, martial arts are to defend onself or one's family. I'd like to distinguish that from "kicking butt" (which I view as being the aggressor, not the defender). Most people will never need to use their martial arts training in the street. But as you already know, there are higher levels to achieve and to continue to strive to achieve.

As a fellow instructor, I am always watching and analyzing my students' progress against where they were when they started training, last grading period, and where I think they should be. Each is on their own journey-I am but a guide as I can't do the work for them. Now, those intangibles are difficult to measure, but they are important and you can see how students interact in the dojang as a microcosm of how they act outside.

Miles

OP
D

DArnold

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Have any of you ever held someone back that was physically capable because of mental concerns? Arrogance, pride, reliability...

jujutsu_indonesia

Black Belt
Reaction score
DArnold said:
Dear New Brothers and Sisters in Martial Arts,

I wanted to get some opinions from you.

When I told them that kicking someones A$$ was not the purpose of any martial art they could not believe me. To which they replied "What else is a MA for?"

They went on and on about how self-defense was the end-all-be-all of TKD. I told them self-defense has to be learned but it was only a minor part of MA training and what we are about. All day I have been having a flash back to when "The Karate Kid" first came out and everyone used to bring in their kids wanting me to teach them how to kick someone elses butt. This put me over the top and I was ashamed to be associated with "these" TKD people.

Don't worry sir, my sensei also had the same problem with you in the 90s when he started his own dojo. :)

As an instructor for I do want my students to be able to defend themselves (As I still like being beaten into the ground by a hard work out as much as I did when I was 18). But I care much more for them as how they develop as a Human Beings. Beyond this, I look for intangables in my students like moral culture, trust, ethics, honesty, reliability, self discipline...
as well as the ability to kick and punch.
After my long winded problem, I guess my question is, "Do any of you look for/test these traits before you promote students?"

Signed Depressed

Sir, when sensei opened his dojo, he openly said that self-defense is only a small portion of his teachings, because what he really wants to teach is self-improvements. Then tough-guys came and challenged him, telling him that "only wimps teach karate but does not teach 'streetfight'". Incredibly, my teacher won most of the times because he always assume a "docile" look, he tried to looks non intimidating, which made his opponent overconfident, and became careless, and easier to defeat using cunning Jujutsu tricks :)

In sum, I agree with everything you said about martial arts. You should meet my sensei one day, you two seemed to share many similar views.

As for your question, since I am not yet an instructor I cannot answer. But sensei once told me that he would rather have a stupid student whom are respectful and dilligent, rather than a smart and strong student whom are arrogant and lazy. :)

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
DArnold said:
Have any of you ever held someone back that was physically capable because of mental concerns? Arrogance, pride, reliability...

Yes, I have seen it happen ... wait that was me LOL. Seriously, it was. I was failed partly because of my attitude. Not because I thought I was the greatest, but because I didn't think I could do it. Physically I could of, but I just froze. I lost confidence.

I have also seen my instructor fail people or not let people test because of ego and/or arrogance. He even talks about this kid that he had years ago. He was soooooo good physically. But he had the biggest ego in the world. My instructor said "change your attitude toward others or don't test." He didn't, so he didn't test. He left shortly there after. But I agree with my instructor on that one.

Latest Discussions