Judging forms

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey all.

I am a forms geek. I ALWAYS compete in forms at tournies. Well, the last tourny was great. I placed second (for once) in my division (I always got third ... gggrrr LOL). There were 4 BBs and two red belts (myself included). Both of us red belts beat the BBs. I was the only one that was 30 years of age. The rest were younger than 18 (I don't know why they put me in that division *shrugs* LOL).

One judge said that, as far as she was concerned, I got 1st on technique alone, but the "theme" of the tourny was presentation, which I kinda lack in. This same person helped me with my form before hand. I drilled my form hard with her (she's a friend, but a tough cookie. She don't cut me no slack at all).

I have judged forms (for kids in the same tourny and the one before it). I look for technique. I'm not big on presentation. Well, it does count if they look confident and all, but I'm a technique geek. I look for sharp and clean technique, and strong stances. I like a good kihap, but I hate the screaming, which is a turn-off to me, so I don't do it.

Anyways, for those that have judged in forms, let me know what you look for (traditional forms). I put this thread here, because I'm getting ready for the local up coming TKD tourny season.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well first off is confidence, if they bow before entering the ring and if they are standing at Cheryot until they are told to go to Chon bi, the first move no mater what form they are doing need to be shape and crisp, it must flow thoughout the form and a very well delevered presentation must be through the whole poomse.
One of my biggest pet peeves is them not saying in there last move untilthe are told to relax, I just hate it when they think there done to turn around and stand at attention.
Terry

P.S. I'll follow you around tonight Karatekid.

DArnold

Purple Belt
Reaction score
karatekid1975,
I learned long ago that you have to be able to do what the judges want if you goal is to win. Most students do what they think is best and when they loose it is because the judges were bad. That is why I teach my students to watch all the rounds that go before them (and not sit around playing grab A$$). We even practice this in class where I tell a judgeing panel what one thing they must judge on (Power, Stances, Concentration...) Then it is up to the students to compete and find out what the judges are looking for. Being an older crumudgen I look for stances as it is usually the first thing that goes among younger students.

Stances no good - Karate no good (Just a little line stolen from the Karate Kid :) )

Technique shows you that they understand what they are doing
It's easier to get someone to add power than it is to add technique.

I guess if I had to order my preferance it would be:
  • Stances,
  • Technique,
  • Concentration
  • Self Confidence
  • Power
By the way...
Mucho Congratulations on your competition win :)

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks D. And welcome to MT!

To me, technique comes first (which include stances), then confidence, then power (no "flinging" arms and legs out there with nothing behind it LOL). But I will definitely take your advice :)

Terry, yes that is one of my pet peeves also. I bow before entering the ring, talk loud, ask to begin, then bow again before I begin. Then I stay at my last move till I'm told "boro" and to turn around. I even turn and stand in choon bi while facing away from the judges, and when I'm told to turn to face them. Then I bow to them and before I leave the ring.

Hehehehehe. You can follow me, Terry. On one condition ... give me pointers on judging ;)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
Hey all.

I am a forms geek. I ALWAYS compete in forms at tournies. Well, the last tourny was great. I placed second (for once) in my division (I always got third ... gggrrr LOL). There were 4 BBs and two red belts (myself included). Both of us red belts beat the BBs. I was the only one that was 30 years of age. The rest were younger than 18 (I don't know why they put me in that division *shrugs* LOL).

One judge said that, as far as she was concerned, I got 1st on technique alone, but the "theme" of the tourny was presentation, which I kinda lack in. This same person helped me with my form before hand. I drilled my form hard with her (she's a friend, but a tough cookie. She don't cut me no slack at all).

I have judged forms (for kids in the same tourny and the one before it). I look for technique. I'm not big on presentation. Well, it does count if they look confident and all, but I'm a technique geek. I look for sharp and clean technique, and strong stances. I like a good kihap, but I hate the screaming, which is a turn-off to me, so I don't do it.

Anyways, for those that have judged in forms, let me know what you look for (traditional forms). I put this thread here, because I'm getting ready for the local up coming TKD tourny season.

I usually look at everything from start to finish. Start being their presentation and finish being when they leave the ring. IMO, you want to get the judges attention and keep it. That being said, make yourself known during the presentation. During that presentation, maintain eye contact with all of the judges.

I'm also looking for confidence, stances, proper form, speed, and power and flow. If, during the kata, you happen to make a mistake, keep going, don't stop. Not sure how TKD judging goes, but the events that I've sat in on, the judges would deduct either a 1/2 point for full point for stopping and restarting.

I may also suggest running thru the form you're going to do, in slow motion. Break each move down, making sure that you're in the best stance, etc. as possible. Most of all, practice, practice, practice!! It'll pay off in the end!

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Mike

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, we are instructed to look for power as #1. No show power, might as well forget it. Best technique thrown sloppily, weakly isn't going to get anyone's attention.

I look for lonnng stances properly positioned, being able to kick from them. If you train hard with those regularly, they show in tournaments. I look for heads turning to direction you are going in, before technique executed, like crossing arms before down block as an example. For higher rank, I look for details, hand position, where the inside block ends up, how far from the head is the high block, are the hands-fingers tight in the spearhand, is the fist at the rib position on rest. I look for crispness and snap kicks, we like to hear the uniform-starch it a little. Also a proper tied belt is important.;)

I look for proper, held for a second, snap kicks. I look for high kicks as a bonus. Since alot of good performers have this in their toolbox, in order to compete you need to work on the high kick especially double sidekicks and front too.

I look for balance especially upon turning. Confidence is needed to do form, but comes with alot of competition practice. Tempo, not halting form is also important. Repetition in practice at the dojang helps this. If you can't perform your whole form well without stopping in the dojang, don't come to the tournament. It tends to be more of a bad experience then, then a good experience.

As with Terry, the proper etiquette, presentation has to be observed. It could be the difference in the reason you lost.

We bow upon coming into the ring at the corner, come in at diagonal to center then forward to the judges about four feet away. We stand at joon bi attention, have eye contact with the judges-ALL the judges, address them as Ma'am and Sir as follows. Judges, Ma'am and Sirs, my name is _____, my instructor is ______, my school is _________. My form is (proper name)_____. With your permission may I begin? Acknowledge, Thank you Judges, when a judge either speaks or nods. You then go backwards directly to a spot that enables you to do your entire form without getting closer to the judges table than four feet. Do not do your kicks in their face. Then hold at the last position until told to turn. Go back to joon bi, ready position. Turn around at command, while they score, stay at attention. Turn around again upon command after scoring, then bow to the judges. Only then you can turn your back and walk off the mat as you came.

I do wish there was a regulated form for judging forms! Then students could see where they went wrong.

TW

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
We bow upon coming into the ring at the corner, come in at diagonal to center then forward to the judges about four feet away. We stand at joon bi attention, have eye contact with the judges-ALL the judges, address them as Ma'am and Sir as follows. Judges, Ma'am and Sirs, my name is _____, my instructor is ______, my school is _________. My form is (proper name)_____. With your permission may I begin? Acknowledge, Thank you Judges, when a judge either speaks or nods. You then go backwards directly to a spot that enables you to do your entire form without getting closer to the judges table than four feet. Do not do your kicks in their face. Then hold at the last position until told to turn. Go back to joon bi, ready position. Turn around at command, while they score, stay at attention. Turn around again upon command after scoring, then bow to the judges. Only then you can turn your back and walk off the mat as you came. TW

This is how I do my presentation. I totally agree. I also hold each tech for a second. But I know I got third at the tourny before last, because of my stances in the last part of my form (I was told so). But I will definitley take your advice. Thanks TW :)

Latest Discussions