New Dobok?

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Now that my son and I are 1st Dan, we can wear a white dobok with a black v-neck collar. The school sells a basic student dobok for $59, but we can wear any brand.

Any recommendations? I searched and found a few threads, but they are all from years ago.

Thanks,
Rick

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any recommendations? I searched and found a few threads, but they are all from years ago.

I've always been a fan of Adidas and Le CAF. The new Nike ones are OK, but I personally prefer Adidas. Quite a few of the guys at my club prefer Daedo as they think the material is still of a high quality, but a bit lighter/cooler.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations to you & your son!

I like Adidas Grandmaster with no stripes on the shoulders or pants. (They can be bought with or without stripes). I also like Mooto Extera as a very comfortable summer dobok.

All my best to you.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congratulations to you & your son!

I like Adidas Grandmaster with no stripes on the shoulders or pants. (They can be bought with or without stripes). I also like Mooto Extera as a very comfortable summer dobok.

All my best to you.

My only experience with imported doboks is with the mooto exterera, it's very ligth and confortable.

Manny

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.centurymartialarts.com/Uniforms/Taekwondo/TKD_Dobby_Uniform.aspx

That's what I wear. I sweat. No, I mean it. I SWEAT. Lots. And then some more.
This fabric is light and breathes better than anything else I've tried. It's not part of the marketing, but evaporation (which is how we cool ourselves) is hugely dependent upon surface area. The textured surface of this dobak increases surface area. I'm still going to sweat like a fend, but I do feel cooler.
The material is also crisp and snaps well, which is unusual in a light weight dobak.

hungryninja

Orange Belt
Reaction score
As with Iceman, I also prefer the Adidas Grand Master (no stripes) and the Mooto Extera. I do feel that the bottom of the V neck collar goes down a little bit lower on the Mooto Extera than the Adidas uniforms.

Now that my son and I are 1st Dan, we can wear a white dobok with a black v-neck collar. The school sells a basic student dobok for $59, but we can wear any brand.

Thanks,
Rick

aftab

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'd also go for Adidas and Le CAF...or if can find it 'Kukkiwon Mountain Special', it's made from a nice simple fabric I think.

MAist25

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The only V-neck dobok I have experience with is made by Pine Tree Sang Moo Sa and I really like it. It's light and very breathable, easy to kick in, and overally just very comfortable. I have not had it for too long however, so I cannot comment on the durability. It was a very reasonable price and based on my experience with it I would reccomend it.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I like the pine tree ultra light for summer classes. Only 99! The basic ribbed mooto is good but the extera is better. Adidas and nike make good ones too. I have one of each:)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've always been a fan of Adidas and Le CAF. The new Nike ones are OK, but I personally prefer Adidas.

I like Adidas as well. I used to favor the corduroy material, but now I like the very light nylon like material. I forget what it is called.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
or if can find it 'Kukkiwon Mountain Special', it's made from a nice simple fabric I think.

I used to really like that brand. It came from the store that was right on the Kukkiwon property near those bathrooms. But they haven't been around for a while now. The store closed.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I got an Adidas Super Master when I got my black belt. I really like it. Here's a pic.

271118_1982013202584_1610842467_2158941_5075110_n.jpg

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
The adidas ones look good and I will need a new uniform shortly. Do they make one without the stripes that is the cross over type? We arent allowed to wear the v-neck style. Also, whats the cost?

OP
rlobrecht

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks to all the feedback so far. I looks like the Adidas Grandmaster and the Mooto Exterra are the favorites. Houston has two Adidas stores, but neither stock Martial Arts stuff. I like the idea of supporting a martial arts company like Mooto. Now I have to convince my wife (she manages our money) to let me spend that much.

The adidas ones look good and I will need a new uniform shortly. Do they make one without the stripes that is the cross over type? We arent allowed to wear the v-neck style. Also, whats the cost?

It does look like Adidas has cross-over types. Century sells a good selection. The Grandmaster is about $80 (depending on the size.)

FYI, they run big. I normally wear a 180 (size 4) but needed a 170 in an Exterra.
On the Mooto site, they have a size chart. I'm 5'11" 185 lb (or 180 cm and 84 kg.) That puts me squarely in a size 180 (size 4.) How do I compare to you size-wise, Ice?

Thanks,
Rick

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On the Mooto site, they have a size chart. I'm 5'11" 185 lb (or 180 cm and 84 kg.) That puts me squarely in a size 180 (size 4.) How do I compare to you size-wise, Ice?

Thanks,
Rick

I'm 5' 9.5" 160 lbs (now. used to be 200 lbs). That chart is very helpful. You can also get the Adidas Grandmaster from SangMoosa.com Both Sang Moo Sa (Best Martial Arts Supply) & Mooto are part of the same company in the US. They're out of Paramount, CA.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Paid a fortune for mine...$255 Canadian with an embroidered Adidas cotton black belt.

I'm sure they make them in a cross over style, not so sure about sans stripes. Most likely they do, though.

Latest Discussions