New camera! Feedback wanted please...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My last digital camera was either stolen or lost on my 40th birthday. Which...was a major bummer. The camera was only about 6 months old :(

Today I purchased a new digi that I will hopefully have longer than 6 months. :D

I was out for most of the afternoon. Some shots were terrible! (I'm not posting them :lol:) I'd love some feedback of the ones I am posting here. Thanks! :asian:

3736181893_260b77f3c0.jpg

3736983158_a15f3839af.jpg

3736191029_02036ae5d6.jpg

3736979638_1b9f8dfdda.jpg

3736184911_6e022b0f31.jpg

3737071876_64081179ef.jpg

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
My last digital camera was either stolen or lost on my 40th birthday. Which...was a major bummer. The camera was only about 6 months old :(

Today I purchased a new digi that I will hopefully have longer than 6 months. :D

I was out for most of the afternoon. Some shots were terrible! (I'm not posting them :lol:) I'd love some feedback of the ones I am posting here. Thanks! :asian:

Nice pics!

I'd like to meet the photographer who gets a great photo EVERY time he or she pushes the shutter button ;) IMO, the secret to "great photography" is to shoot a LOT, and be selective. Having a good eye, of course, will increase the odds of getting good pics :) But it looks like you have that covered, so just keep shooting ;)

That's the beauty of digitals, eh? Not costly to shoot and the only limit is battery life and storage card (mitigated by the ability to delete obviously bad photos as you go along!)

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice pics!

I'd like to meet the photographer who gets a great photo EVERY time he or she pushes the shutter button ;) IMO, the secret to "great photography" is to shoot a LOT, and be selective. Having a good eye, of course, will increase the odds of getting good pics :) But it looks like you have that covered, so just keep shooting ;)

That's the beauty of digitals, eh? Not costly to shoot and the only limit is battery life and storage card (mitigated by the ability to delete obviously bad photos as you go along!)

Absolutely! I was actually surprised. I thought I only took a few pics here and there....I was surprised to see 65 shots when I downloaded them! I thought it was more like 30 or so. :D

I think I need to learn more about lighting and distance. I had tried capturing some pics of some smaller wildflowers and found them to be all blurry. So...practice makes...practice :lol:

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am ready for a new digital camera as mine is about six years old and the newer ones far out perform this old model.
icon6.gif

Nice pic's Carol!

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think I need to learn more about lighting and distance. I had tried capturing some pics of some smaller wildflowers and found them to be all blurry. So...practice makes...practice :lol:

Are you manually setting you shutter speed and aperture? Or using an auto setting?

I ask because it looks like you are using a narrow aperture. By using a wider aperature, you can get more light and use a faster shutter speed. This is also great for still life, because the subject will be in focus but the background will not be -- which is great because it keeps the eye on what you want to be viewed.

Also, by bumping up your ISO, you may get some "noise" (about the same as the "grainy" from faster film speeds) but can use faster shutter speed.

I actually kind of liked that grainy look when doing some shoots of area rock bands: it gave it that vintage music magazine look :) But for closeup still life, you probably want to avoid noise in the image as much as possible...

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am ready for a new digital camera as mine is about six years old and the newer ones far out perform this old model.
icon6.gif

Nice pic's Carol!

Yea.. I'm WAY overdue for a new camera body. I'm still shooting with an "ancient" Canon EOS-10D :(

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Carol,

Cool pictures! I especially like the last one I kind-a makes you think about what could come out of the forest and into the clearing. The colors are cool and inviting. Nice to have a new toy!!!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, We all like to know what Camera you purchase here and is using?

Brand name and model number for camera OK.....NO need your numbers...date,age,library card,light bulbs,etc

Aloha,

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aloha Still Learning!

The camera is a Canon G10. Its not a high end or professional camera but it has a few features to play with :)

Weather in New England is gorgeous today! I hope to be giving it another workout :) :)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If I had to choose one of the ones you posted I'd choose the last one where you're looking through some greenery... that has the overall best composition.
Still like to see the yucky ones :lol:

Do a quick study of the rule of thirds and work on your angle of views... try crouching down when photographing wildlife on their level, try tilting the camera to vertical plane and see what happens.

You got potential I'll give you that... I can see you got the artist's eye.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, The Cannon G-10 ..lots of people give it high marks on the other web sites..

a 14.7 megapixels, 28mm wide lens, improve the face and motion detections from the older models...and on and on...

Cannon Top Range Compact Digital Camera!

Nice pictures.....too.............Aloha,

Monadnock

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am assuming your running in an Auto-exposure mode, or some preset mode that a lot of point and shot cameras have. That model looks similar to my nikon point and shoot. The color looks realy good in those pictures, but the hardest thing about the point and shoots is balancing the darks and lights. Most do a good job, and I think that camera is better than average.

One thing to try, but I don't know if yours has it, is exposure bracketing. It will take 3 of the same or 5 of the same picture, but with 1-2 darker and lighter on either side of the "normal" shot. Sometimes this will give you a better shot if the sky is forcing your shadows to be washed out.

Just check your manual. If it doesn't have a bracketing mode, you can usually manually adjust the light balance and exposure. Besides that, you just have to rely on your composition, time of day, etc.

Good Luck,

dot1021

White Belt
Reaction score
I like the daylillies! When photographing flowers, try using a tripod or some other object to steady the camera (not suggesting that your photos were blurry, though). Also, I like taking photos early in the day, maybe an hour before sunrise to take advantage of that 'magic hour.' Same goes for sunset time.

Another trick people use when shooting flowers is to take a spray water bottle and wet the petals a bit. Nothing fresher looking than "morning dew" even when there's not enough moisture in the air.

Above all, keep shooting -- any where and any time. Good luck!

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am assuming your running in an Auto-exposure mode, or some preset mode that a lot of point and shot cameras have. That model looks similar to my nikon point and shoot. The color looks realy good in those pictures, but the hardest thing about the point and shoots is balancing the darks and lights. Most do a good job, and I think that camera is better than average.

One thing to try, but I don't know if yours has it, is exposure bracketing. It will take 3 of the same or 5 of the same picture, but with 1-2 darker and lighter on either side of the "normal" shot. Sometimes this will give you a better shot if the sky is forcing your shadows to be washed out.

Just check your manual. If it doesn't have a bracketing mode, you can usually manually adjust the light balance and exposure. Besides that, you just have to rely on your composition, time of day, etc.

Good Luck,

Yep this is a great piece of advice. I often do exactly that (manually) — taking a range of exposures on either side of what the light meter says I SHOULD be shooting at when taking pics for the paper.

That's the beauty of digital photography: you aren't burning up money on film, so shoot a LOT and have a nice range to pick your keeper shot from.

Latest Discussions