need to speak the language of your system

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
One advantage of learning the language can be catching some subtleties about the art. For example, the Japanese word that's been commonly translated as "block" actually has a deeper and more complex meaning than the English word, according to several sources I've read. It's got connotations of "receive" and "take" more than the "stop" of the word "block." It's also important to realize that Japanese can be a punners dream, especially written. Hatsumi of the Bujinkan, for example, has a reputation according to comments by several of his translators for really using layered meanings in his words. If you understand the language yourself, you may catch things that don't get translated with that depth...

Of course, I've only had to learn a very few words of any foreign language to learn my art... so I could easily be talking out of the wrong side of my mouth here!

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that if you just want to learn to defend yourself or fight, it isn't necessary.

Once you get to a certain point though, the language becomes necessary to get deeper into the art. The history, training in the country or origin, and fully understanding the names of forms and techniques.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
As far as CMA is concerned I do not think it is necessary to learn the language unless you plan on studying in China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore then I highly recommend it if you want to be taken at least semi-seriously. Also understand leaning in North China Mandarin is what you want, learning in South China Mandarin is spoken but I get the impression that you would be much better off learning Cantonese

What may help more in CMA, IMO, would be the metaphors. If you know what those mean it can make training and understanding a bit easier.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
It might if their fellow players or coaches spoke only English or English and poor Japanese.

To clarify, I was referring to Japanese who play baseball in Japan — analogous to those of us who study Asian martial arts here in the U.S. (or other English speaking countries, for that matter).

If one were to go to the country of the art's origin — say, Japan or Korea — yea, I think it becomes much more important at that point to facilitate the instructor-student communication.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Also a good idea to learn the Universal Sign languages...

Raise both hands high? ...surrender

Smile...means "we mean NO harm"

hands together near the heart...Prayer
----------------
Did you know when the 13 colonies where form and breaking away from England the people want Nothing to do with British...

Hence "Germany" almost became our National language by a very close margin of votes..

Today our race tracks goes counter clock wise..
Cars are opposite side than the Brits'
We use pounds,tons etc for weights
Dollars
Inches and yards..

Aloha, ...here you just get "Leis" from us!

PS: In Hawaii when you see women ..sometimes men too...When putting flowers into the ear areas?
Left side means you are taken (where the heart is..!) and when you are single you wear the flowers on the right ear!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Raise both hands high? ...surrender

hands together near the heart...Prayer
----------------

Those are very far from universal signals. Of course, that's kind of off topic from the issue of learning the language of the culture that gave birth to a particular style, too...

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score

In many cultures smiling at a stranger indicates that you either want something-as in trying to take advantage of someone, or you're crazy, or you're completely naive and inexperienced-like a child.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with learning the language of the culture form which your art originates. Indeed, I think it would be helpful for many of the reasons cited so far, especially giving some subtle insight on meaning of techniques or how they should be performed. Translations of technique names, concepts, etc. into English - or any language other than the original - would probably be OK the majority of time, but I think the Italians had the right of it when they said "Traduttore, traditore."

Pax,

Chris

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I speak Japanese very well, but most dojo will still pair me up with someone who speaks English if they can. Speaking japanese well doesn`t make me a better fighter, but it sure makes living here easier (and alot more fun and interesting)

Friends who`ve trained in China say you need to speak Chinese to get the most out of it. English is much more common there now, but only among younger people. The old guys who really know MA only speak Chinese and most don`t like to work through translators. They`ll just shove you off on a younger student who speaks English.

For international sports like Judo, using a common language makes sense. If you say Osotogari to a French Judo player and an Egyptian one, they both know what throw you mean as well as a Japanese player would. But other than sharing a common vocabulary I don`t think it`s that important. Most MA terms are very old, modern Japanese don`t recognise them unless they also practice the art that term originated in. Forte, foible, and underhanded all originated in european fencing, but most people couldn`t explain what they mean.

Latest Discussions