Spymaster on TLC

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Has anyone checked out the Spymaster reality show on The Learning Channel (TLC)?

Although the events/scenarios are specific for 'spy' stuff, I love how the hand to hand and shooting skills are really just components to the total 'school' of concept and approach that they are working from. The biggest thing they seem to be testing and shaking the tree with is the composure/control/intelligence reactions.

Example:
Episode ONE: Kim's game memory test under pressure/repelling/PT.
Episode TWO:
They spent a day on basic shooting skills with simunition guns on a range and then gave them a two person mission of retrieving a case in a car. No time limits, no penalties for creativity. Only rule was stay on the road (I think primarily for safety and camera angles :))

Every pair of contestants RAN through it and came out looking like a piece of modern art with the splats they were sporting. I have heard at least two contestants talk about an increase respect for the jobs of LEO/Operatives/Military because of their experience on the show.

COmments?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
I love how the hand to hand and shooting skills are really just components to the total 'school' of concept and approach that they are working from.
Ive come across many more "martial artists" who seem prone to dismiss anything outside their dojo training as un/less improtant than their art. While Ive met very few LEO's/Military people who would dismiss or turn down anything that would improve their odds of success. Granted many LEO's dont actively train in Martial Arts, but most of them would agree that it would be a good thing to do even if they dont.

OP
L

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Ive come across many more "martial artists" who seem prone to dismiss anything outside their dojo training as un/less improtant than their art. While Ive met very few LEO's/Military people who would dismiss or turn down anything that would improve their odds of success. Granted many LEO's dont actively train in Martial Arts, but most of them would agree that it would be a good thing to do even if they dont.

If you are self defense minded in your training, what ever you are devoting the most time to is probably because of enjoyment, budget or comfort more than 'practicallity' to be honest. But what ever you are training in with a Self Defense mentallity could be like 'gateway' training that leads you to at least be oriented in/if not cross trained into other 'tools' of self defense. If you are in 'martial arts' (meaning non ballistic weapon/empty hand training) for self defense, you might be open to at least becoming familiar with firearms training (not called 'martial arts' here - even though my personal definition included firearms training), or woodscraft, civilian police courses, executive protection training, forensic sciences, fitness, building construction, navigation/orienteering.... and a whole world of skills. Firstly, because well you never know when a little McGyver knowledge will come in handy. Next, the basic tool that controls ALL the other tools of self defense and life in general on a conscious level of control is the mind. If you are constantly stimulating/challenging the mind, you are actively training creativity and adaptability - the cornerstone skills of good self defense, martial arts and life as far as I am concerned. BUT, that does NOT mean that if you can be creative in music or martial arts or cooking or whatever that it automatically translates to self defense awareness and tactical decision making. It does mean that you are more mentally trained for creativity which will enhance your creative skills WHEN you train to appy it to self defense.

I envy animals that are born with the sensory acuity that allows them to simple 'be' in tune with the environment. We clunky animals of a human race have to go through a long drawn out process of learning before we can internalize that skill/technique and it becomes 'natural.' So, if man's 'natural' process is to learn and internalize - exercise that muscle first and most often....unlike I really did back in High School when I was exercising my.... other muscles :)

Spymaster really sets up a context that could parallel the context of a self defense scenario for civilians as well, worth watching just to steal some creative training ideas.