Nationals are coming up...why am I not pumped?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm so PROUD of you, Lisa, and your daughter too!!!

YOU SO TOTALLY ROCK!!
:partyon::partyon:

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MSTCND said:
A job well done by Mother and Daughter alike!

Hmm... I wonder if she'll be staying in Harmony Church... livin' "old school" (I did my Army Boot Camp there)... or Sand "Hilton"... the "uptown" buildings with A/C and covered excercise areas!

Any way you look at it... a GREAT DAY FOR ALL INVOLVED! :partyon:

Best Regards,

Andy

I hope it is the A/C units :D

If she goes, she will be there in March. What is the weather like there in March? :idunno:

My understanding of the whole "team" thing is that there is a concern that she is a bit too young as she is only 12. Putting her on the team would give her the opportunity to travel, however, most of the cost will be the responsibility of her parents to pay for, so.....Thailand for one of the World Cups is definitely out ;) but Fort Benning is also hosting a World Cup, so...that one could be doable, however, only if one of us (parents) can go with her. :)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
YAAAYYYY!!!

Great job to you both!

:partyon: :partyon:

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
Way To Go Lisa!!! To you and your daughter!!! :partyon:

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MSTCND said:
A job well done by Mother and Daughter alike!

Hmm... I wonder if she'll be staying in Harmony Church... livin' "old school" (I did my Army Boot Camp there)... or Sand "Hilton"... the "uptown" buildings with A/C and covered excercise areas!

Any way you look at it... a GREAT DAY FOR ALL INVOLVED! :partyon:

Best Regards,

Andy
Put her up in Sand Hill. It's really character building.

After all, look what it did for me!!

Jeff

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
Hey Everyone! I am not exacty back but on my way home from the Nationals. After my first day of competition I was in second place in my division, however, after my second day of competition I was moved to third and received a bronze medal. Both days I shot personal bests so I am pretty pumped!

My youngest daughter kicked some serious butt while down there and is being considered for the junior national team! She tied her personal best of 375 and her team came in second place! She will find out the final decision within the next couple of weeks. I know their one concern is her age, as she is only 12 so if she is not chosen she has many opportunities. The National Team Coach is quite impressed with her maturity on the line and her fun loving attitude towards the other shooters. If she is picked she will be heading down to Fort Benning in Georgia in March. :D (Yes, yes...I am a very proud mom!)

Anyways I will post pics when I get home.

Great job, both of you!!

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
Put her up in Sand Hill. It's really character building.

After all, look what it did for me!!

Jeff

Oh God! :erg:

second thought...I wonder how much tickets are to Thailand?!? :uhyeah:

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
HEY!!! I would take offense at that, but the lint in my belly button just got very interesting!

Jeff

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We received the news last night that our youngest didn't make the Jr. National team after all. She placed 4th and they take the top three.

She is rather disappointed and down. Her only question: "Was it because of my age?" When I told her it had nothing to do with age, she seemed a little happier about that.

Truth be told she is only 12 and has many years to make the National Team and hopefully many years of enjoyment out of this sport.

Next year she will go to the Nationals, be even better, and kick some serious butt. :)

Gives Mom and Dad another year or so to start saving money for her trips too. ;)

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That sucks, Lisa!

But, like you said... she's young... with plenty of time left in her life to make the team..

Glad to hear she's handling it OK...

Best Regards,

Andy

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fourth place is still a great accomplishment, especially because of your daughter's young age. She should be proud; she could very easily be the top shooter within the next five years. :)

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sorry she didn't get picked, but she has plenty of time to get there.

What is the normal age for being accepted on the national team?

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sorry she didn't get picked, but she has plenty of time to get there.

What is the normal age for being accepted on the national team?

There are no set rules as to age that I am aware of but...it is at the discretion of the coach. Twelve is very young to be travelling internationally and very expensive as my husband and I would not let her team travel at that age without one of us accompanying her. Most of the other team mates are in their 20's with the exception of a couple of 15+ year olds. She was well aware that we would not be allowing her to go outside of North America this year if she did make it. She was hoping to go down to Fort Benning, Georgia and shoot the world cup there in March 2007.

Thank you all for your kind words, I will relay them to her. The disappointment will pass and her excitement for the upcoming Canada Winter Games will start to grow as she trains for that. :)

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wait!!!

Are you telling us that Canadians do more in the winter besides watch hockey?

Jeff

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm with Jennifer - 4th at her age is still quite an accomplishment. I understand her disappointment at not being able to take the trip, but she should still be proud of what she's done.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with you all and thank you. :)

4th Junior overall

10th Lady in Canada

missed finals by 9 points.

Matched her personal best.

Not bad for a 12 year old at her very first National Championships and only her second "big" shooting event.

I think she did extremely well and her Dad and I couldn't be more proud. :)

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Your daughter did great! Young fresh minds are sometimes better than more experienced shooters because there is no extra baggage or prejudices of how it "should" be shot or the expectation that they are suppose to perform a certain way. They soak up instruction like a sponge and have the ability to perform great because nobody (especially themselves) has told them they aren't suppose to be that good.

Keep up the good work, lucky kid to have parents like you guys.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I put up a couple of pics in the gallery of Nationals

I also put a few up of the Long Range Provincial Championships as well.

:)

Latest Discussions