Nationals are coming up...why am I not pumped?

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have our National Championships coming up in a few weeks. It is something that up until a few weeks ago, I was so looking forward to....but not anymore. :(

I think the problem is that I am not where I want to be and my head is playing mind games with me when I am on the line. I am questioning and requestioning every shot I am taking and gggrrrrr...my mind is telling my finger to take the shot, yet my finger doesn't want to listen and when it does it is jerky and well...ends up being a crappy shot.

Right now getting on the line is an effort and I need to get these blahs away and start concentrating. I am hoping for a personal best, by no means will I be in the finals, lol, I have no visions of grandeur :D

Anyways...just needed to rant a little. Any feedback to help my blues would be appreciated.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It could be that you've just reached one of those "Zen" moments. You are just going to shoot what you are going to shoot. Heck, might even help your shooting if ya ain't all pumped up about it. You'll have a nice calm center.

Jeff

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fate is telling you that you shouldn't be going to the nationals - that you're supposed to come to Buffalo and hang out with me! :ultracool

Seriously - is this the first nationals you've competed in?

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Fate is telling you that you shouldn't be going to the nationals - that you're supposed to come to Buffalo and hang out with me! :ultracool

Don't you mean "us"? ;) :D

I'm sure you'll do just fine, Lisa. Don't think too hard about it, and go with what works for you. Good luck...and we will be thinking about you from Buffalo. :)

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
Don't you mean "us"? ;) :D

I'm sure you'll do just fine, Lisa. Don't think too hard about it, and go with what works for you. Good luck...and we will be thinking about you from Buffalo. :)

Well, of course I mean us ... but I would do everything I could to glue myself to her side. :)

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Awww...you ladies are all too good to me. :) Quite possibly some of it has to do with not making the Meet and Greet, but not all of it.

Yes, this is my first nationals. I have attended a few as a spectator but not as a competitor. I have competed on a grander scale then my usual competitions at home when I went to Toronto in February. However, I competed there with my rifle that I had for only a week. I had no big expectations.

I still don't, actually. I don't foresee myself in the top 8 of the finals. I just wish I could get my head around what I need to do to shoot a personal best. Perhaps it is the season. Somehow it seems a shame to be doing an indoor sport during the summer. I just don't know.

Jeff, you could have a point. It could be I know what I am capable off and that newbie nerves are now gone.

Whatever it is, I certainly hope the lack of nervousness stays until after I have shot both matches. :)

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, seriously Lisa ... You need at least a year's more experience. I think you really need to come to the M & G. :flame:

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Lisa said:
Right now getting on the line is an effort and I need to get these blahs away and start concentrating.

Replace CONCENTRATING with FOCUSING and you'll be ok.Concentration is a forced activity. There IS a time for it, but develop your focus first. Focusing is a mindful activity. Focusing will allow you to be aware of what the activity (the process of shooting) is telling you when you shoot instead of forcing the action. If you can achieve the 2 in harmony you've reached a state of meditation when you shoot, but you have to develop focus (mindfulness) first.

To take it out of the context of shooting...I had a teacher who practiced meditation with me. He always said to be aware of your body, feel the blood flowing through you, feel every breath, feel your muscles relax one at a time, etc. This is mindfulness. You can't force these things to happen through concentration. You have to be aware of it so you can let it happen.

As far as being down and not psyched for the Nationals...you answered your own question.Your questioning yourself, this brings your confidence down. Be careful of TRYING to get it together before the Nationals. It would be better to put the gun away for a while and come back to it. Ask yourself why did you start shooting in the first place?...because its FUN! It kinda sounds like its becoming a chore ("getting to the line is an effort") for you. If its not enjoyable why do it? Take a break...sometimes going without food for a while makes us hungry. Think of shooting as a vehicle for self-enlightenment, learn about yourself everytime you pull that trigger. If you can do that, you've already won more than any competition can give you.

As far as not being where you want to be and hoping to do good, etc..."Sometimes we walk through the forest just to get to other side, take the time to smell the flowers."

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Back to concentration vs focus. Remember Bruce Lee's famous qoute...

"Don't think. FEEL. It is like a finger pointing away to the moon.Don't CONCENTRATE on the finger or you will miss all the heavenly glory."

Apply this to your shooting and ask yourself what this quote means to you.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have one last practice session tonight and then I plan on not picking up my rifle again until a day or two before the competition. A little break right before a major competition is a good thing, at least for me.

Last night I did some dry firing in the basement and it felt good. Grip was good, stance was good and the "focus" not the concentration was all good.

I think part of the problem is that it is summer time and there are other things interrupting my focus right now. That being said, I went to bed last night with my spirits a bit higher then they were before and I am actually looking forward to practice tonight.

Thanks all. :)

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Centering" is a term used by sports psycologists. You focus (as mentioned above) on the now, drawing on successes from your past, whether big or small; and and envisioning your success (not possible failure). You sometimes hear people say, "don't set your goals too high". Why not? Embed thoughts of winning and succeeding! Even though it will be your first Nationals, you have taken (I can assume) thousands of shots. Remember the ones that nailed the bullseye or the day you were dead on and you walked away from the range with a huge grin on your face. Envision those times over and over.

And if the day comes and goes and you did not place as high as you wanted - at least you went, tried and learned what to work on next.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
I have one last practice session tonight and then I plan on not picking up my rifle again until a day or two before the competition. A little break right before a major competition is a good thing, at least for me.

Okay, I know, I know, quoting yourself is lame but I have a good reason...really :D

I lied. I went to the range today. I just couldn't NOT pick up my rifle for a week and a half before shooting a big event.

:boing2::boing2::boing2:

so, can you tell by the smilies how it went? :D

I started thinking alot about focus and not concentration. I also was trying to find a way to work in what my coach was trying to get us to do. He was talking about visualizing. Thinking back to when you felt you were best performing and visualizing yourself back there. So I started thinking about finals at the provincials. I felt so good there and my shooting was pretty good as well. I was "zoned" into my shots much more then I ever had been before.

So today, while up on the line, in my mind ever shot I took was a shot in the finals. I played the sequence in my head and heard the match director call the sequence for our finals.

"for your next competition shot, load"...and I would load my rifle

"5...4...3...2...1....start" At 5 I was checking the position of the butt in my shoulder. At 4 I was ensuring my hand position under the rifle. At 3 I was lifting the rifle, cocking my hips and falling into my stance. At two my head was coming down on the cheek piece and when I was at 1 I would open my eyes to find myself directly on target. Take my shot.

Repeat.

All my shots were 9's and 10's. Follow through was great, I was steady and calm.

Damn, it felt so good. I need to remember this next week or take him with me so he can whisper it in my ear ;)

I am now pumped to go again. :D

Thanks again, everyone.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is great to hear!! I'm sure you are going to exeed your expectations next week.

Jeff

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Everyone! I am not exacty back but on my way home from the Nationals. After my first day of competition I was in second place in my division, however, after my second day of competition I was moved to third and received a bronze medal. Both days I shot personal bests so I am pretty pumped!

My youngest daughter kicked some serious butt while down there and is being considered for the junior national team! She tied her personal best of 375 and her team came in second place! She will find out the final decision within the next couple of weeks. I know their one concern is her age, as she is only 12 so if she is not chosen she has many opportunities. The National Team Coach is quite impressed with her maturity on the line and her fun loving attitude towards the other shooters. If she is picked she will be heading down to Fort Benning in Georgia in March. :D (Yes, yes...I am a very proud mom!)

Anyways I will post pics when I get home.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats Lisa, way to go!! I get to now say I told you so.

And congrats to your youngest as well!!

I'd suggest NOT taking your elder daughter down to Benning if you go.

Also, it's really sucked here without you. Heck, I've been "talking" to Terry a lot.

Jeff

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
Hey Everyone! I am not exacty back but on my way home from the Nationals. After my first day of competition I was in second place in my division, however, after my second day of competition I was moved to third and received a bronze medal. Both days I shot personal bests so I am pretty pumped!

My youngest daughter kicked some serious butt while down there and is being considered for the junior national team! She tied her personal best of 375 and her team came in second place! She will find out the final decision within the next couple of weeks. I know their one concern is her age, as she is only 12 so if she is not chosen she has many opportunities. The National Team Coach is quite impressed with her maturity on the line and her fun loving attitude towards the other shooters. If she is picked she will be heading down to Fort Benning in Georgia in March. :D (Yes, yes...I am a very proud mom!)

Sweet!

Lisa shot her personal best two days in a row, and her Daughter matched her best and is the tunning for a National Team.

Congrats!

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congratulations, Lisa! :ultracool Both for shooting your personal best, and for yoru daughter being considered for the junior national team. I'm
sure she'll get the spot.

Congrats again! :partyon::partyon:

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa - Way cool! Congratulations to you and your daughter!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lisa said:

Way to go!! Congrats to both you and your daughter!!:partyon: :ultracool

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A job well done by Mother and Daughter alike!

Hmm... I wonder if she'll be staying in Harmony Church... livin' "old school" (I did my Army Boot Camp there)... or Sand "Hilton"... the "uptown" buildings with A/C and covered excercise areas!

Any way you look at it... a GREAT DAY FOR ALL INVOLVED! :partyon:

Best Regards,

Andy

Latest Discussions