Naihanchi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chufeng

You can get some of that in Puyallup, in the valley...
Cold Asahi, Sapporo, even (boiled in salt water) cold soy beans in the pod...WITH your takuan pickle.

chufeng

C

Chiduce

Originally posted by D.Cobb

Oh poop!!!!

You know I just realized that it looks like I'm saying American Kenpo looks bad. That is definately not the case. What I meant was that some of the seniors (first generation) do talk about Mitose and some of what they saw when he tried to link up with Ed Parker, in I think it was the early '60s. I was trying to say, that for more information about the quality of Mitose's stuff, some of the first generation guys might make mention on their web pages.
Also another place you can look, that I know for certain is somewhere on the "net" is an interview with Huk Planas. In this interview, he talks of being shown a "secret technique", with laughable results.
To any of the American Kenpo guys who may have taken offense by what it appeared I had said, I apologize deeply. My original system of martial arts was American Kenpo. Originally Tracy, but then our instructor changed to EPAK. The last thing I would do is badmouth that system in anyway.

I must have been half asleep when I wrote that, it was late.
Again, Sorry.
--Dave

:asian:

And now some how I have ended up with three messages for the price of one. Wahoo, bring on my next belt promotion. :D
Sir, i would like to make a suggestion, on the Mitose question. If you do not have "What Is Self Defense" Kenpo Jui Jitsu, then please check it out and see what Mitose had to offer as a martial art. It is on the Tracy website in it's complete original version. I'am sure that it will bring you to the understanding which you are searching for about GM Mitose! I find it to be a very interesting and informative kenpo text for the beginner, intermediate, advanced practitioner, and woman! Since kenpo incorporate's the study of motion in it's system, depending on whether one scratches the surface or goes beyond into the motion studies within the system. One will find in this text the true positive worth of GM Mitose!
Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!:asian:

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by chufeng

You can get some of that in Puyallup, in the valley...
Cold Asahi, Sapporo, even (boiled in salt water) cold soy beans in the pod...WITH your takuan pickle.

chufeng

So when I get there, we're going out, right? :D

We should get the whole club together, practice Naihanchi Shodan (just to keep this post on topic ;) ) even though it isn't a Yili form, then go eat Japanese food until we puke...

Sounds like a good idea to me!

Gambarimasu!

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No, not the George Bush Sr. technique... That was a hack and choke, gag reflex action...

I am talking about sheer overindulgence, gorging to the point of physical inability to contain any more food...

Now THAT's a party!!!

(but if you yack, you have to clean it up yourself... there is no honor in yacking and expecting others to clean for you...)

R

RyuShiKan

I thought GW Sr. did a hell of a job. What timing, what accuracy........he got the Japanese PM with one good blast. Must be due to some of his old fighter bomber reactions he learned in the Pacific during WWII. Hasn't lost his touch.
I am sure the dinner party was not the same afterwards.
He reminds me one of those guys from Animal House

R

RyuShiKan

GW Jr. reminds me of .................well I haven't really figured it ou yet.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by DKI Girl

I have actually been with DKI since 1999, but have been seriously working with Naihanchi Shodan for about two years.

I previously trained in Mastubayashi Shorin ryu for several years prior to joining DKI....I currently hold a Nidan in Ryukyu Kempo.

dkigirl

So you studied Shorin-ryu, then started in DKI in 1999. You say that Naihanchi Shodan is the first kata your beginners learn, but you have only been working on it for about 2 years...

I am confused... :confused:

Gambarimasu.

:samurai: :tank: :samurai:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is that an unusual progression? I'm not familiar with these systems myself.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't see any problems with anything. From what I remember, Shorin-ryu trains Naihanchi, as well as most of the other kata practiced by Shotokan folks, albeit with the Okinawan names instead of the Japanese.

To me, it's similar to high ranking TSD people beginning their training in TKD and advancing rapidly through the ranks. All the material is essentially the same. It's just the emphasis that's different.

Cthulhu

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think this is common in the DKI system, which accepts people from other karate styles (e.g. there are tons of Isshin-ryu people in it, and they do their forms rather differently than Mr. Dillman does). Perhaps the DKI system doesn't have a set curriculum? I don't know.

R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by arnisador

I think this is common in the DKI system, which accepts people from other karate styles

My teacher has always accepted students from other systems if they wanted to learn.........hell he even accepted Dillman for a very brief time. ;)

Originally posted by arnisador

(e.g. there are tons of Isshin-ryu people in it, and they do their forms rather differently than Mr. Dillman does).

Most styles in Okinawa have slight differences in their kata.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by RyuShiKan

Most styles in Okinawa have slight differences in their kata.

What I meant was that I am unsure that the DKI system has an iconic way of doing their kata. I have seen the system he teaches referred to as "USA Ryukyu Kempo" and "Ryukyu Kempo Tomari-te" but I have seen DKI instructors do things very differently from how Mr. Dillman does it. I suspect that DKI rank is given for understanding his Tuite and Kyusho-Jitsu applications and other theories with respect to one's own system's kata--that that's how Isshin-Ryu people can have DKI rank while doing Isshin-Ryu. I imagine in his school he teaches his version of Ryukyu Kempo which has a certain way the forms are done but that DKI rank is a separate issue--a cross-ranking, perhaps.

I am extrapolating based on what I have seen at his seminars and from his students, and of course extrapolation is always dangerous.

D

DKI Girl

Hi all....sorry that I haven't gotten back, but life has been really busy these last couple of days and I haven't had an opportunity to read the forum.....

Let me start with the oldest questions first....

"So you studied Shorin-ryu, then started in DKI in 1999. You say that Naihanchi Shodan is the first kata your beginners learn, but you have only been working on it for about 2 years..."

In my old school of Shorin ryu we learned Niahanchi Shodan at 2nd Kyu, then Nidan at 1st Kyu....at my current school, we (the insructors) decided to teach Niahanchi Shodan first based on some recommendations from our instructors in DKI. I have known the kata for a while, but have only been actively "studying" it for about 2 years....previous to that I was working on one of my other katas that was a personal preference for me. I chose to start working on Naihanchi Shodan because alot of the seminars that I attend I heard people discussing the applications out of it and it seemed natural to study it further to be able to discuss it with others.

DKI does accept other styles into it's system. I know of many TKD, Goju-ryu, Uechi-ryu and many others that I have spoken to at seminars and camp and have spent many hours discussing kata and other things with them.

Rank in DKI is given based on your knowledge of kyusho...as in all systems, you will have those that know more than others and some that don't...you can't judge the whole group by one or two individuals.

Please, continue to ask any questions and I will provide the best answers that I can.

dki girl

R

RyuShiKan

Rank in DKI is given based on your knowledge of kyusho...as in all systems,

Really??? Not in our system.

...........you will have those that know more than others and some that don't...you can't judge the whole group by one or two individuals.

Yes that's true, and that is why I try to judge a system not just by the odd demo but by viewing many different members technique over a period of time.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by RyuShiKan
Rank in DKI is given based on your knowledge of kyusho...as in all systems,

Really??? Not in our system.

If you're going to post something, post as much as possible so the quote isn't taken out of context. DKI Girl originally said: Rank in DKI is given based on your knowledge of kyusho...as in all systems, you will have those that know more

The bit that was omitted changes the meaning of the entire phrase.

Cthulhu

R

RyuShiKan

DKI Girl,

In your videos when you and your pals are whacking people on the neck which "kyusho" point (actually they aren't kyusho points) do you think is responsible for knocking them out or what ever it is that happens to them in your video.
To put it in terms you can relate to.................Is it LI-18, ST-5,9, or 10, TH-16?
After hitting the said point are there any long term ill effects? If so what and how would you correct such a problem?

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I know that when I was "growing up" in my studies of striking vital points, we were never allowed to smack certain points too many times...

In Yiliquan, we categorize vital points into Stunning and Painful, Temporarily Disabling, and Killing/Cripping points. There are also the Forbidden Points which are all acupuncture points.

The first three categories are mostly what I guess could/would/should be referred to as atemi as opposed to kyusho. There are many muscle, nerve and bone points (as well as combinations of all three) that comprise the bulk of the points in those groups.

Forbidden Points were always a no-no to strike with any degree of power or intent, not so much due to the danger of serious injury or death, but moreso because of the potential damage to the meridian system which would inevitably produce illness later on...

When I first started Iron Palm training, extensive qigong exercise to invigorate the flow of qi into the striking areas was part of the program. But, being young and stupid, I neglected that particular aspect of the training in favor of more time spent hitting the sand bags... Within a matter of days, I developed the worst case of explosive diarrhea ever recorded in medical history (well, maybe that is an exaggeration, but you should have been there! :D :fart: ). When I asked my "older brother" about what was happening, he replied very simply "You aren't doing the qigong, are you?" During Iron Palm training, with all the striking of resilient materials that is done, the meridians in the hands are "injured" and can cause illness. And boy was I ill...! :D :fart: :rofl:

Curious to know the DKI take on this issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions