Naihanchi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Naihanchi shodan, nidan, and sandan are so similar. What's the point? For example, why not add a few of the distinct moves from nidan and sandan to shodan and make it one slightly longer form?

S

Shinzu

in shotokan the form is refered to as tekki. nihanchi is from tang soo do.

i guess this point could be said about also alot of forms. these forms are basically defending from frontal attacks. it is said that you should imagine yourself on a boat and it is rocking back and forth. to keep your balance you move in the oppisite direction that the boat is tipping.

i personally like the nihanchi forms. they are very powerful and devote also of thier success to the kiba dachi or "horse stance".

i have seen different variations from shotokan to tang soo do, and also issin ryu which added a kick among other techniques.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shinzu

in shotokan the form is refered to as tekki. nihanchi is from tang soo do.

Just nitpicking, but Naihanchi is actually the Okinawan name. :)

Cthulhu

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I learned it as Naihanchi in Isshin-ryu.

I read after posting that it was originally one form that was broken down into three because it was too long and complicated. So, my question was exactly backwards!

S

Shinzu

i never realized i was one form. it does make sence though. i dont feel it would be too complicated. i have seen others that are far more complex i feel.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I have learned a version of Naihanchi, that is very similar to Shotokans Tekki, is this the entire kata. I have heard of Naihanchi shodan, nidan and sandan, but I haven't seen them. Is the total of them any different to Tekki?

--Dave

:confused: :confused:

S

Shinzu

i'm not famliar with any system that combines all three katas to make one.

as far as i know, they have always been seperate.

the naihanchi kata and the tekki kata do have some differences depending on which style you are taking. TSD and shotokan are almost exact, while isshin-ryu's are different.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by D.Cobb

I have learned a version of Naihanchi, that is very similar to Shotokans Tekki, is this the entire kata. I have heard of Naihanchi shodan, nidan and sandan, but I haven't seen them. Is the total of them any different to Tekki?

--Dave

Naihanchi was the original Okinawan name of the kata. I believe it was Funakoshi who changed the name to Tekki. For the most part, same dang thing.

Cthulhu

S

Shinzu

the name still means the same. iron horse or night on horseback.

there are some variations between the TSD, shotokan, and the isshin-ryu naihanchi kata though.

C

Chiduce

The naihanchi kata was well known in the shuri and tomari schools. This was before the pinan katas were formed. This may explain why there are 3 katas. The kata was mainly a beginner's kata. It was not used to develop offensive and defensive fighting skills. The main purpose of the kata is to train the waist and legs through slow steady sideward movements for maximum strength. We called the kata kibadachi, or ("horse riding straddle") in matsumura seito shorin-ryu karate-do! After the pinan katas were introduced into the system, naihanchi became more of an intermediate form. Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

S

Shinzu

naihanchi kata was actually called "ni bo jin" in the beginning.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chiduce

The naihanchi kata was well known in the shuri and tomari schools. This was before the pinan katas were formed. This may explain why there are 3 katas. The kata was mainly a beginner's kata. It was not used to develop offensive and defensive fighting skills. The main purpose of the kata is to train the waist and legs through slow steady sideward movements for maximum strength. We called the kata kibadachi, or ("horse riding straddle") in matsumura seito shorin-ryu karate-do! After the pinan katas were introduced into the system, naihanchi became more of an intermediate form. Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

That's interesting. We actually use it as a Pressure Point Kata. Every technique in the kata has been used in a self defense technique. It's funny how most times you don't even realise what is right in front of you until someone points it out.

--Dave
:asian:

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
No worries! Funny isn't it, I mention pressure points in relation to Naihanchi, and tonight I attended a seminar with Kyoshi Patrick McCarthy, in which he spoke of some of the pressure point applications from Naihanchi and even showed us some that we hadn't seen before. I've said before in other forums that I don't like his books, but I would recommend his seminars to anybody.
--Dave

R

RyuShiKan

The 3 naihanchi katas are extremely different when you look at them from a technique point of view.
To say "why don't we just put them all together and make one kata" is not practical.
If that is the case then why don't we lump all the kata together and a make one long kata??
Because each kata has distinct trademarks not always recognizable to the untrained eye.

R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by D.Cobb

I've said before in other forums that I don't like his books, but I would recommend his seminars to anybody.
--Dave

Really? I am kind of the other way around.

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by RyuShiKan

Really? I am kind of the other way around.
Is that because you find him arrogant? I have heard some people describe him this way, but I find him to be a real fun guy to be around. It may be because he frequents our school quite a bit. Come on share your thoughts.

--Dave

R

RyuShiKan

I think McCarthy's wife did a god job translating some interesting books on Karate and some of it's more noted historical figures.
Some of those books would not have been available to most western readers had it not been for her translating and his editing.
None of them are of any great training value but from a historical point of view they are interesting.

I have seen his seminars first hand.......sorry, not interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions