Nagare

ToShinDoKa

Green Belt
Reaction score
Oh, buddy, the fun stuff!

Recently I was up at the Chapel Hill NC Quest Center (yeah, I'm in the south, so NC is 'up' to me, unfortunately...) for a 'end of the year' Gyokko ryu Seminar. We reviewed material from the Jo, Chu, and Ge Ryaku no Maki of this sensational tradition, and you'd have to been there to see it come to life as our instructor directed this experience...

Anyways,

I noticed something that seems like a natural part of the 900 year + old art of combat, that I assume applies to everything in To-Shin Do Go Shin Taijutsu: The FLOW of LETHAL INTENSION, FIGHTING PRINCIPLES, and TECHNIQUES spawning from said principles, in response to said lethal instention. What I mean is, every attack started logically, and the explaination wasn't just, attack here, but there was a specific REASON for attacking in a certain place, over attacking somewhere else. The trained defender, if the feeling was right, almost limited the areas where the violent opposition could launch his attack.

As the attacker would lauch his attack, the defender seemed to move JUST ENOUGH to gain an advantageous position (avoiding the brunt force) and the majority of the time, punished the attackers weapon (if a limb) or disarmed him. Everything made sense, and movement seemed very practical, compared to the unconnected fansy moves Hollywood shows the Ninja arts to be. Each counter attack: the kick to the leg in Koku, the drastic change in the angling of Saka Nagare, or the body signs of changed intention given off in Hane Bi, all appeared to me as a beautiful, brutal dance...and IT FLOWED. A few changes the attack speed served to keep the spontaneity, and so the pressure was on, but when the intention was felt, the techniques internalized, the principles came to life! My body moved out of fear of getting hit (though there was always responsible and controlled uke) as if I were actually going to die in this confrontation, and so it FLOWED. :jediduel:

Killer intention to my perception, my perceptive response triggered fear and adrenaline, internalized body positioning from repetition manifested in place of my normal RUN AWAY or OH GOD! FREEZING responses, proper positioning triggered my subconscious desire to punish the violent aggressor, now seeing the opportunity, and then...WHAM!

I suppose, my question is: ("What, there's a question?" YUP!) How do you suggest I work on developing 'nagare' (mental/physical) in my own manifestations of taijutsu? Or, better put, I can practice kata, but they don't always work, or I'm thinking too much...how can I start developing a natural creativity in my taijutsu under pressure, so as not to come to a stand-still that could cost me my life in a self defense situation? (If that makes sense :idunno:

lalom

Green Belt
Reaction score
I obviously overlooked this question months ago. I hope this post will prompt others to consider answering it. I could definitely use some advice on this issue.

How can I better develop nagare? Is is just a matter of time invested in training and it will come or are there specific drills others have done to get better?

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not quite sure exactly what is meant as when i practiced the 'nagare' or 'flow' when i was still visiting the dojo, it was taught to me as a roll done from the ichimonji position. to simplify and try to explain: standing in ichimonji, the hand that is pointing to the enemy, comes up or around and you role in the direction where your back leg knee is pointing to. so basically, you do a front role to the rear. smoothly as possible.

as far as other possibilities for nagare, i would practice doing everything in steps and really slowly, then in one move a little faster smoother. never practice for real unless it is really your full intention. dont use people as dummys or pull cheap moves when the partner is unsuspecting. your blade and body can only work to their fullest if your heart is also working at it's fullest.

but what do you mean a standstill? do you mean fear? not knowing what to do?
im not 100% what you mean, but in a selfdefence situation, it's hard to say what people will do...it's hard to know even what you yourself will do in a given situation. that goes for everyone. for all you know, you might not lock up but react surprisingly naturally and well.
best bet is to do what you feel is best and believe in yourself.

you only create major excess adrenaline if you are spiritually physically off guard or in a pinch not able to fight or flee- even then, it takes more than just instinct to trigger an unproductive amount of adrenaline. it takes illusion. illusion that is not easy for any person to dispell.
just dont fall for half the worlds ******** and youll feel loads better and more enlightened or in controll.

be fair , aware of unfairness but not lose your **** or anything.

that's my advice...hope it relates at all.

peace
j