mythological figures

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's right... it's coming back. He got this staff from some malign undersea demon/spirit (I think of the guy as a big crocodile, for some reason) and it can become, like, supermassive and belt the stuffing out of various enemies as need be?

I also dimly recall something about peaches of immortality... or am I making that up? Part of a bribe attempt on the part of the Jade Emperor? Am I warm... even a little?

That's pretty good, but Wukong stole all the peaches when he found out the honoured position he had been given by the Jade Emperor was actually a stableboy.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What the HECK are you talking about :uhyeah:

Just kidding, yup you got it that be the guy.... err... or the monkey

He was one cool monkey, I remember... not sure where I read it... I never actually got through the whole J to the W but I think I read a kind of watered down condensed version of the story... and I saw some kind of Chinese animated version of the story too. The big boys in the Jade Emperor's court were all indignant because he'd made himself immortal, or something like that... he gets trapped in a furnace at one point, right?... but in the end, nothing can damage him... Yeah, I can see how he would be a very appealing figure to a martial artist! :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
He was one cool monkey, I remember... not sure where I read it... I never actually got through the whole J to the W but I think I read a kind of watered down condensed version of the story... and I saw some kind of Chinese animated version of the story too. The big boys in the Jade Emperor's court were all indignant because he'd made himself immortal, or something like that... he gets trapped in a furnace at one point, right?... but in the end, nothing can damage him... Yeah, I can see how he would be a very appealing figure to a martial artist! :)

I actually had a very good translation in my hand when I was in Beijing and I planned on buying it but got distracted by a couple other books and sat it down and of course walked out without it. And being very caught up in Beijing I did not realize I forgot to buy it until the night before we left.

Oh well there is always 2008, I know where the store is and I plan on returning to pick it up, if the book is still there.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I actually had a very good translation in my hand when I was in Beijing and I planned on buying it but got distracted by a couple other books and sat it down and of course walked out without it. And being very caught up in Beijing I did not realize I forgot to buy it until the night before we left.

Doesn't it drive you crazy when something like that happens?

Oh well there is always 2008, I know where the store is and I plan on returning to pick it up, if the book is still there.

Do you go there every year to visit your in-laws? Nice, if you can get to do that! I earnestly hope that they have a copy there waiting for you when you return, XS...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Doesn't it drive you crazy when something like that happens?

Yes it does, and we had to be at the airport WAY to early the next day for me to get all the way back to teh bookstore

Do you go there every year to visit your in-laws? Nice, if you can get to do that! I earnestly hope that they have a copy there waiting for you when you return, XS...

Well that was the plan but the Olympics kind of got in the way. The entire place is a veritable construction zone and it is getting more crowded every day. Just think of NYC times about 4 make it a construction zone and you get the picture.

We went in 2006 and we are skipping 2007 and not going until the Olympics are over in 2008, or at least that is the plan right now

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes it does, and we had to be at the airport WAY to early the next day for me to get all the way back to teh bookstore

It's like they set it up so you can't win...

Well that was the plan but the Olympics kind of got in the way. The entire place is a veritable construction zone and it is getting more crowded every day. Just think of NYC times about 4 make it a construction zone and you get the picture.

That's a little bit what Seoul seemed to be like when I was there a few years ago. I can't get over the scale of some of these Asian cities...

We went in 2006 and we are skipping 2007 and not going until the Olympics are over in 2008, or at least that is the plan right now.

Smart timing! The Olympics are going to be... unreal. Everything else will probably grind to a sickening halt for the two weeks they're on.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It will be interesting to hear about... by phone...from far far away.

Yes... exactly... my wife's family is from Vancouver, and we plan to hear about the 1010 Winter Olympics in exactly the same way.

Latest Discussions