My thoughts on FTF (Functional TKD Federation)

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Talk' started by FlamingJulian, Sep 15, 2016.

1. TrueJim

TrueJim 3rd Black Belt

True. Personally, I think student retention will be difficult for Taylor once (and if) the kids and parents realize that a black belt is unattainable.
    • Certainly when comparing notes with other taekwondo schools in the community, parents will realize that Taylor's school is unusual.
    • But even if there were no other schools in the community, I would think it would be very dispiriting for a kid to stick around for -- say, 4 years -- and be told he or she still has to wait another 6 years before he can become a black belt.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Ironbear24

Ironbear24 Senior Master

Didn't he have a place in Canada? What happened to that?

3. Finlay

Finlay Green Belt

Wow,

Didn' really know anything about this fella till reading the thread.

To me he is just another traditional style basher. Unfortunately most of these guys don' have very much knowledge in what the art is or even martial arts in general.

I don't like his attitude or the way he presents his material. It seems very arrogant and disrespect the people that have gone beore him.

As someone who also studies alternative applications of the patterns I have always tried to do so on a respectful manner.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Midnight-shadow

Midnight-shadow 3rd Black Belt

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, so forgive me if you have said this before. Let's take the instructor out of the picture for a moment and focus on the concept of the training and the system. Now, I doubt you'll find anyone who will say that changing a system to make it "better" is a bad thing. What we should decide is whether the FTF is improving on the current training of traditional TKD, and in my humble opinion, it doesn't. For this, I'm going to refer to this video from the FTF website:

Throughout the video there appears to be a lack of focus on the intent of the training, which could get very confusing for newcomers. We start off by hearing that the FTF focuses on self-defence, whereas "traditional" TKD focuses on forms, and we get the usual misrepresentation of forms as a training method. Ok, you don't want to do forms in your system? Fine, there are plenty of systems that don't use forms and are perfectly fine. He also wants to focus on self-defence, which again is fine. But here's where the problems start. He says (and I quote) "We teach you combat sports".......So are we learning sport fighting or self-defence? Then it gets weirder. He says "we teach you boxing, muay thai and Olympic-style Taekwondo".........huh? You say you want to teach techniques that can be transfered to street fighting/self-defence and yet you do Olympic-style Taekwondo, which is about the least realistic modern fighting sport you can get.

So, are they training for Olympic-style Taekwondo competition or self-defence?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Agreed. That’s part of the lack of depth, IMO. With more experience he might be able to focus on something specific, rather than a vague notion of “better”.

6. Midnight-shadow

Midnight-shadow 3rd Black Belt

I wouldn't even call it a lack of depth. The guy knows what he wants to achieve in this but has no idea how to achieve it. If the goal is to create a system that translates well into a self-defence scenario, you aren't going to achieve that by doing Olympic-style TKD. What's most worrying about this is that he seems under the impression that training for a competition and training for self-defence are the same thing. Sure there is an overlap but in my opinion they should be taught separately.

• Like Like x 2
  7. blackbeltsomeday

blackbeltsomeday White Belt

I have been following Mr. Kelley for awhile as well and find his videos entertaining. He is opening a new full time school in Texas. We will have to see how this new endeavor goes!

Attached Files:

8. kempodisciple

kempodisciple Senior Master

I gave up posting on that a while ago, but part of the ad really annoyed me. The part that said "A good way for your high schooler to get service hours". By the time you're in high school, you should be determining your own hobbies/interests, not being pushed into competing in martial arts by your parents, and that line suggests this ad is for the parents of high schoolers to recruit them into forcing their son/daughter to learn/compete MA. It's not just them, it's a common idea I've seen in marketing that the parent (of high schoolers) decide what the kid wants, and I don't understand that in the slightest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. kempodisciple

kempodisciple Senior Master

The exception to this would be someone like @JR 137, who plans on having his kids learn in high school (IIRC), to learn a skill. Learning a skill and being forced into a hobby are too separate things, and having a kid join an 'elite team' is forcing a hobby.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Ironbear24

Ironbear24 Senior Master

Hopefully you won't be actually giving your time or money, he isn't exactly an expert, more like a black belt in talking smack.