My thoughts on FTF (Functional TKD Federation)

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know that some of you are going to get mad but I actually like the idea. I don't know that much about Taylor Kelley and his experience but it seems legitimate. He really wants to change the game and make TKD better than ever. I'm sure a lot of u guys are more experienced than me and know more arts but to me it seems legit. Any thoughts?

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Pfft. I would strongly recommend actually training an art to a reasonable level before criticising it, the people who practice it, or any other art. That's all.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know that some of you are going to get mad but I actually like the idea. I don't know that much about Taylor Kelley and his experience but it seems legitimate. He really wants to change the game and make TKD better than ever. I'm sure a lot of u guys are more experienced than me and know more arts but to me it seems legit. Any thoughts?
Here are my thoughts. The only reason Taylor Kelley thinks that TKD techniques aren't functional is because he doesn't have a deeper understanding of TKD techniques and how to correctly apply them. He sees a technique in TKD, doesn't understand it, and because of that he thinks there is a "hole" or "gap" in the system.

The fact that people from other martial arts systems can see functional techniques in TKD and can tell you how it works and how to apply it, but Taylor Kelley cannot see what they see or even understand it, should be a big red flag for anyone trying to support his idea of "Functional TKD" This guys seems to have no problem in understanding his TKD techniques. This is what it looks like when someone digs deeper into their fighting system.

This is what Taylor Kelley look like. What you see him use in light sparring is the limit of what he understands. I don't care what he claims as martial arts experience because this video shows the truth in his understanding of TKD techniques or any other martial art technique he claims to know.

I know without a doubt that some of those techniques in that first video are valid and can be used in a real fight with no problem. I also recognize that some of those same techniques are found in Kung Fu systems and Japanese martial art systems. I have yet to see him demonstrate any significant fighting or self defense ability beyond his free sparring video. He has never made a video explaining the application of a technique.

Many people hate on Forms as well and then use Muay Thai as an example of learning without form.
Well here's traditional Muay Thai Form. The same art that he champions uses the forms that he so much hates.

The main problem is that he insults everyone and is highly disrespectful of others. Then when someone criticizes his approach with the FTF idea, that person suddenly becomes a hater. Yet he's the one with hundreds of videos bashing other martial art systems. In addition to that he then tells people "How to deal with a stubborn Korean Master" and the solutions that he gives aren't only disrespectful but they are backstabbing in nature. This is the type of person that would head the FTF. He is the person who will set the tone and morals for the organization and it's behavior. People who will join his project will be people who make the same assumptions and see nothing wrong with the way that he insults others.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here are my thoughts. The only reason Taylor Kelley thinks that TKD techniques aren't functional is because he doesn't have a deeper understanding of TKD techniques and how to correctly apply them. He sees a technique in TKD, doesn't understand it, and because of that he thinks there is a "hole" or "gap" in the system.

The fact that people from other martial arts systems can see functional techniques in TKD and can tell you how it works and how to apply it, but Taylor Kelley cannot see what they see or even understand it, should be a big red flag for anyone trying to support his idea of "Functional TKD" This guys seems to have no problem in understanding his TKD techniques. This is what it looks like when someone digs deeper into their fighting system.

This is what Taylor Kelley look like. What you see him use in light sparring is the limit of what he understands. I don't care what he claims as martial arts experience because this video shows the truth in his understanding of TKD techniques or any other martial art technique he claims to know.

I know without a doubt that some of those techniques in that first video are valid and can be used in a real fight with no problem. I also recognize that some of those same techniques are found in Kung Fu systems and Japanese martial art systems. I have yet to see him demonstrate any significant fighting or self defense ability beyond his free sparring video. He has never made a video explaining the application of a technique.

Many people hate on Forms as well and then use Muay Thai as an example of learning without form.
Well here's traditional Muay Thai Form. The same art that he champions uses the forms that he so much hates.

The main problem is that he insults everyone and is highly disrespectful of others. Then when someone criticizes his approach with the FTF idea, that person suddenly becomes a hater. Yet he's the one with hundreds of videos bashing other martial art systems. In addition to that he then tells people "How to deal with a stubborn Korean Master" and the solutions that he gives aren't only disrespectful but they are backstabbing in nature. This is the type of person that would head the FTF. He is the person who will set the tone and morals for the organization and it's behavior. People who will join his project will be people who make the same assumptions and see nothing wrong with the way that he insults others.

Ummmm. After seeing him spar I think I'll stick with WTF because I can make connections

-Julian

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Pfft. I would strongly recommend actually training an art to a reasonable level before criticising it, the people who practice it, or any other art. That's all.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Totally agree with it. The ironic thing about FTF is that if he's teaching it, then it's heading in the same direction of a McDojo where the instructor claims he has an understanding of techniques, fighting, and self defense, but gets it all wrong because he doesn't have a deeper understanding of the technique and it's applications. The sad part about it is that he has insulted so many people and so many martial art systems, that no one in their right mind with valuable knowledge will want to be associated with him. Those same people with decades of knowledge also will be less willing to share their knowledge.

I wonder if he's learning BJJ and Muay Thai from a knowledgeable instructor or if he's learn from a friend. Most martial arts teachers that I know of wouldn't accept him as a student with all of those videos of him bashing other systems like that.

Rough Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
Taylor loves to talk about his "15 years of experience" but rarely mentions that most of that experience was gained as a child. He started when he was 5 and is 21 now. He says in one of his videos "If you're under 18 and you're wearing a black belt, it's fake- you're a fake black belt." (Actually his side-kick said it, but he sat there nodding his head). Now, I know many here will agree with that, but my point is Taylor will not say how old he was when he got his own black belt. However, some of his tutorial videos were posted when he was 20, and he was a 4th Dan. Simple math will tell you that , by his own standard, he is a fake.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey ...I've seen those guys on youtube. I'd love to add a meaningful critique, but I don't know if the plural of doofus is doofuses ....or doofi, so I'll shut up now. :D

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with the concept. Taylor, however, doesn't have (IMO) a deep enough understanding of TKD to build off it. He has a total of 15 years of training, but that means he started training at around age 6. So at least the first 10 years don't build a lot of depth for understanding mechanics. So he has maybe 5 years of any depth, and that's just not much to use as a jumping-off point. I think he may have bought into the public mystique around what a black belt means, and believes he understands more than he does. By comparison, I have been involved with NGA since I was 18 (nearly 30 years) and had some relevant background before that. When I started building the curriculum for Shojin-ryu (more than 20 years in the art at that point), I still reached out to other folks within the art to check concepts (and still do). I have a slightly different focus than the mainline of the art, but I still know there's stuff more experienced instructors in the art can help me out in understanding. Taylor seems to feel like he has the answers already, when he is probably just about ready to start asking the right questions.

I think the Dunning–Kruger effect is in evidence.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally agree with it. The ironic thing about FTF is that if he's teaching it, then it's heading in the same direction of a McDojo where the instructor claims he has an understanding of techniques, fighting, and self defense, but gets it all wrong because he doesn't have a deeper understanding of the technique and it's applications. The sad part about it is that he has insulted so many people and so many martial art systems, that no one in their right mind with valuable knowledge will want to be associated with him. Those same people with decades of knowledge also will be less willing to share their knowledge.

I wonder if he's learning BJJ and Muay Thai from a knowledgeable instructor or if he's learn from a friend. Most martial arts teachers that I know of wouldn't accept him as a student with all of those videos of him bashing other systems like that.
The maddening part to me is that he (if we accept the number as accurate) has a bunch of students. I'd love to help some of those folks...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Taylor loves to talk about his "15 years of experience" but rarely mentions that most of that experience was gained as a child. He started when he was 5 and is 21 now. He says in one of his videos "If you're under 18 and you're wearing a black belt, it's fake- you're a fake black belt." (Actually his side-kick said it, but he sat there nodding his head). Now, I know many here will agree with that, but my point is Taylor will not say how old he was when he got his own black belt. However, some of his tutorial videos were posted when he was 20, and he was a 4th Dan. Simple math will tell you that , by his own standard, he is a fake.

Well, by his own numbers, he taught for a few years at his old school, so he had to be teaching there when he was in his mid-teens. And we can assume (not necessarily accurately, but close enough) he took at least a year to get each dan grade, so he couldn't have had his shodan any later than 16.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A kid with some superficial experience
Well, by his own numbers, he taught for a few years at his old school, so he had to be teaching there when he was in his mid-teens. And we can assume (not necessarily accurately, but close enough) he took at least a year to get each dan grade, so he couldn't have had his shodan any later than 16.

The KKW standard (and it's telling that he doesn't know the difference between KKW, ITF and WTF) would require 6 years to go from 1st to 4th. One year 1st to 2nd, two years 2nd to 3rd, and three years 3rd to 4th.

OP
FlamingJulian

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score

After watching lots of his videos I'm starting to dislike him. I'm not saying I have anything against him.

-Julian

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
After watching lots of his videos I'm starting to dislike him. I'm not saying I have anything against him.

-Julian
Well at least you understand better why he rubs so many the wrong way and why people respond the way we do. The stuff that he tries to pass off on us is the sales pitch that he's going to give to people who aren't familiar with martial arts (parents), people who think like him, and people who haven't seen his videos.

The sad part is that he tried to do his sales pitch in a forum full of martial artist who have more years of martial art experience than he has days of living.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The maddening part to me is that he (if we accept the number as accurate) has a bunch of students. I'd love to help some of those folks...
Maybe we should ask him to show a picture of his class in session on a good day.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Maybe not. If he actually has a bunch of students, it'll just depress me.
lol. If he has a lot of students then they will be kids. The formula for getting kids is easy, but it may not fit well with how you see and view your martial arts system. Turn your school into an after school facility where kids have fun, learn respect and build confidence. Do fun kid things and provide tutoring. Have summer camps, and field trips. Do all of that and you'll have a lot of kids. The downside is that very few kids will have the passion for martial arts, because the marketing that you'll use is the same marketing that target kids who have a real passion for martial arts or kids who want to learn how to protect themselves.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ummmm. After seeing him spar I think I'll stick with WTF because I can make connections

-Julian

That should tell you everything, the dude is a hypocrite and is in generally terrible at what he champions. I said my piece in the previous thread about this. Never let some fool tell you what you should and shouldn't learn, be your own judge when it comes to martial arts no matter the arts you are learning.

I myself for example do not really like TKD but I will never badmouth it, the reason for this is because I have no experience in it, I cannot have a valid opinion of something that I have no experience in. From what I can tell Taylor learned TKD that is tailored for light contact competition sparring and kata competitions, then expects to actually know how to brawl against arts designed to actually go balls to the wall. He failed several times and instead of blaming himself he blames his art.

If his art is so bad how could he have won all those competitions as he claims he did? He learned sport TKD so no **** he is going to get beat up going into other styles that have little to no rules because he was not prepared for that. The same thing would happen to me if I were to go into a boxing competition, I would do terrible because there I cannot grapple and cannot kick, cannot elbow ect. If I were to blame my failure on Shou Shu and kenpo karate how much of a fool would I look like?

TKD does not need a savior as he claims he does, and he is by no means anyone that should be teaching anyone anything other than how to get hit in the head.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
lol. If he has a lot of students then they will be kids. The formula for getting kids is easy, but it may not fit well with how you see and view your martial arts system. Turn your school into an after school facility where kids have fun, learn respect and build confidence. Do fun kid things and provide tutoring. Have summer camps, and field trips. Do all of that and you'll have a lot of kids. The downside is that very few kids will have the passion for martial arts, because the marketing that you'll use is the same marketing that target kids who have a real passion for martial arts or kids who want to learn how to protect themselves.

Another problem with that is many other outlets provide those same exact things, because of this there will be tons of competition for that business. His feasibility is already abysmal as it is lol.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Another problem with that is many other outlets provide those same exact things, because of this there will be tons of competition for that business. His feasibility is already abysmal as it is lol.
Yep. That's why he'll have more kids than adults. Adults will pick up on the game really easily, unless they are just totally new and have now clue about what Martial Arts. The only people who I can think that are totally clueless about martial arts are kids and their parents. But if someone is serious about learning how to fight, will look at what he does and then think. "I can teach my self this stuff" or they'll just go to a martial arts school or club to learn martial arts.

My guess is that someone who takes a fitness kickboxing class wouldn't be impressed. With the current FTF combinations that he has on his site. Not to be funny but, people who do those high intensity kick boxing classes could probably wear him down with no problem. They have the agility to avoid stuff that he throws.

Latest Discussions