My son's Weapons and Kata

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah. He loves competing. But we stick mainly to Traditional style tournaments.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cannot tell you how happy I am to see that he is not doing XMA and fancy tricking.

I think he has some real promise. His stances are better than most that I see. And that is huge.
Agreed. I remember the last demonstration I helped my primary instructor with. We went right after a school that had the blinking speed chucks, gymnastic flips, and shiny prismatic tapered staff show. It was very cool to watch, then we got up and showed some defenses against people punching. Boring, but realistic.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. He loves competing. But we stick mainly to Traditional style tournaments.
There's a Ryukyu Kempo instructor in SC who told me about the last time he was asked to judge forms at a tournament. A kid (older teen) came in and did a nice, flashy routine with shiny speed chucks. While the other judges are making notes and nodding at the end, this guy reaches into his bag, takes out a set of standard wooden nunchuku, and says, "Do it with these." He wasn't asked back. :cool:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What a pleasure that was, that's a seriously talented young man.
Does he fight as well?

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
What a pleasure that was, that's a seriously talented young man.
Does he fight as well?

Absolutely that is his main focus. He loves sparring.

If I had to rank what he does best, I would say Fighting then Weapons then Kata.

He also runs some nunchaku forms in the dojo but his main weapon is the bo.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can you explain that? If I'm understanding your comment, you're talking about the orienting to the new target before moving toward it.
The more combat effective method is to turn the eyes, and begin the face off to that direction, with your whole body. It is way faster.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
The more combat effective method is to turn the eyes, and begin the face off to that direction, with your whole body. It is way faster.

That makes sense. I will ask his Sensei about that.

The 1st kata is Iron Claw and his Sensei competed with it a lot back in his day.

Appreciate you pointing that out. We are preparing for Nationals next month. So any little hiccups we need to fix now.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That makes sense. I will ask his Sensei about that.

The 1st kata is Iron Claw and his Sensei competed with it a lot back in his day.

Appreciate you pointing that out. We are preparing for Nationals next month. So any little hiccups we need to fix now.
Like I said, it looks cool; so, they may not want you to fix it. However, don't fight like that, in real life. :D

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
No. Our Sensei is more about the technique being realistic as it pertains to a fight than what just looks good.

Willing to bet, my son just picked that up from someone else.

He is very good at mimicking people but he can pick up bad habits at times.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. Our Sensei is more about the technique being realistic as it pertains to a fight than what just looks good.

It makes the form look more crisp, which is why it shows up, so there's a good chance he picked it up from someone whose form looked cool (and maybe scored higher because of it). I've also seen some instructors use it as a purposeful exaggeration to correct students who were turning in the kata with their eyes always in the center of the movement (so, not really looking toward the "attacker" before moving). It should be led by the eyes, with the head following and the body lagging only insofar as it is more massive and takes longer to pivot - meaning head and body should start at nearly the same time.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

What you are saying makes sense, but forms competition is about showmanship, and there are just, flat out, some things you do for show, when attempting to win a Kata division. o_O

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I disagree with turning the eyes before the head.

Latest Discussions