My arms hurt

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Ok Xue,

I just got off the phone with Greenpeace.

They are on their way for you.

Jeff

BRING EM ON!!!!!

But you know now that I think about it… a bunch of Green Peace people circling my house with those little zodiac boats just to try and stop me from getting to the trees.

I live on top of a fairly high hill and watching them carrying those little boats while running around my house sounds pretty entertaining. And eventually they will tire, collapse and I will STILL get to beat up on the trees…. While they watch in exhaustion and there is NOTHING they can do about it…. Wow I guess I really am from the dark side.

Thanks Jeff

I hear Greenpeace has already given Xue a nickname of 'The Once-ler'.

Whoa... I had to look that up but I beg to differ

The Once-ler shows blatant disregard for the environment for the sake of profit

I show a blatant disregard for trees for reasons of vengeance... I'm doing this for free.... I will get even for the one that fell on me if it’s the last thing I do.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Whoa... I had to look that up but I beg to differ

The Once-ler shows blatant disregard for the environment for the sake of profit

I show a blatant disregard for trees for reasons of vengeance... I'm doing this for free.... I will get even for the one that fell on me if it’s the last thing I do.

I'm sure the nickname was assigned based on results, not motivation.

Also, I love the picture you created of them carrying the little boats around trying to harrass you.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BRING EM ON!!!!!

But you know now that I think about it… a bunch of Green Peace people circling my house with those little zodiac boats just to try and stop me from getting to the trees.

I live on top of a fairly high hill and watching them carrying those little boats while running around my house sounds pretty entertaining. And eventually they will tire, collapse and I will STILL get to beat up on the trees…. While they watch in exhaustion and there is NOTHING they can do about it…. Wow I guess I really am from the dark side

LMAO...

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Watch out or I'll call PETA as well since you are disturbing the squirrels and birds that inhabit the trees.

Jeff

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First a blamer of Lisa and NOW a whistle blower...

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Watch out or I'll call PETA as well since you are disturbing the squirrels and birds that inhabit the trees.

Jeff

WHAT!!!! Just because Jackie Chan is speaking out for PETA you think I’m scared…. Ok maybe a little, but he would probably join in on tree beating anyway so BRING EM ON!!!!

And aren’t they the group that throws paint on fur coats of rich old people in Manhattan to make their point, but yet you don’t see them showing up at a biker rally to throw paint on leather jackets and boots? So what makes you think they’ll even approach me while I’m beating up a tree? You have a better chance with the guys circling my house carrying Zodiacs.

And besides I am still watching out for those Samurai woodpeckers and you obviously have never seen the squirrels in my neck of the woods http://gold.mylargescale.com/MikeReilley/squirrel with machine gun.jpg

First a blamer of Lisa and NOW a whistle blower...

I Know... I am beginning to wonder if it isn't really all HIS fault...

Or at least that’s the rumor I'm spreading.....

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Blowing the whistle on Xue is just a hobby.

And beating up trees is my hobby....well not so much a hobby as it is a quest... well maybe not a quest....more like ruthless retribution or malicious behavior.... NO WAIT training... that's it I'm training.....

I'm sure the nickname was assigned based on results, not motivation.

well then I guess I'm ok with this.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I was bored, tired and in my basement (early) this morning when I swear one of the steel support post was looking at me in a confrontational manor.... So I beat it like it was a tree.

Yes my arms and hands hurt a bit, not as much as last weekend but I do not think I will do that again. Once I woke up I realized, this is not one of the brightest things I ever done.

The post is fine, did not move an inch, but I had to wonder how long it would take until it did, so I am returning to keeping the trees in line, believe me around my house they need SOMEONE to show them who the boss is.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was bored, tired and in my basement (early) this morning when I swear one of the steel support post was looking at me in a confrontational manor.... So I beat it like it was a tree.

Yes my arms and hands hurt a bit, not as much as last weekend but I do not think I will do that again. Once I woke up I realized, this is not one of the brightest things I ever done.

The post is fine, did not move an inch, but I had to wonder how long it would take until it did, so I am returning to keeping the trees in line, believe me around my house they need SOMEONE to show them who the boss is.

Keep those trees in line my friend! :asian:

Someone has to right?

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I know... as surprising as this may sound, beating on the support that holds up your kitchen floor is just not the brightest thing in the world to do.

What have I learned?
Xue should never decide to do martial arts training, that involves hitting things, before 6:30 AM ever again
Keep those trees in line my friend!

Someone has to right?
Yes someone does and it is apparently up to those of us that train the police version of Sanshou. Which also makes me think that either I really do not want to get hit by a police officer in China or I really do not have to worry about it much because I, unlike a tree, can move.
Either way the next time I am in China I really do not think I will test this to find out.

You should come over to california and practice on our redwoods.

I dare ya, I double dare ya
No no no they don't have redwood trees in China and Sanshou comes from China as does my teacher so I don't think I am allowed to beat up on redwoods.... that and those damn things are huge....

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
On a serious note, I know that I am joking around a lot here about beating on trees, but in all honesty Sanda pretty damn cool.

It is an incredible combination of internal and external CMA and old and new concepts in training.

More here if any are interested. (but be warned I get into Chen as well)

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=613509#post613509

Sorry, I just didn’t feel like typing that all here as well.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Due to a head cold I took a break from my quest to beat ALL trees into submission, about 1.5 weeks.

Today I went for a walk and I came across a pine tree that was just looking at me wrong. So I turned and slapped it around a bit. And apparently the first beating was not enough to teach it a lesson, because I swear as I was walking back by it without warning it took a swing at me (and just because it is a virtual hurricane in my area of the county had nothing to do with it) So I was forced to smack it around again.

Although I am sure the people in the house whose backyard faces this tree didn’t understand the severity of the situation nor did some of the patients of the near by hospital that may have seen me. I can say that’s one tree that will think before it takes another swing at me I tell you.

Actually, this time my arms do not hurt anywhere as much as I expected after a week and a half off, actually they don’t hurt at all. But my palms are very sore from the large number of palm strikes I had to unleash upon this Pine tree for its insolence.

But my palms show no signs of damage they just sting a bit. Damn those pine trees are hard.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
An Update

I got a new heavy bag and I have moved my Sanda training indoor, I decided to give the trees a break for Christmas… that and the EPA told me to “cut it out”. I will admit the heavy bag is not the same as a tree, basically it is softer and it moves where a tree is completely devoid of those qualities.

But there is one drill, actually the second drill my Sifu showed me, that I have not been brave enough to try on a tree and I was having trouble finding the correct power. I have described it before on MT but it is basically a punch over your shoulder (right arm, right shoulder also the same for the left)… remember to keep your elbow in or your Sifu will put a Qinna hurtin’ on ya’ (Believe me you learn quick that way… I know…ow) then reverse direction almost as soon as you get to the targets face, nose, throat, etc. and do an elbow strike going downward and back. The idea is the punch, (more of a cross between a punch and a back hand) is more for shock value or distraction, if you hit that’s good too. Generally the person behind you will do what can be done quickest, bend backwards, (got to love those reflex actions) thusly bringing their mid section or lower body closer to you and that is when you hit them with the elbow. Or it could be a hit in the face followed by an elbow to the mid section or groin depending on the height of the person behind you and how low you sink.

But I am off track, I have not been training this on trees, I just can’t get by the thought of my elbow slamming into a tree, ok maybe I'm being a wimp. But I started training it on the new heavy bag and I have found I had the power wrong, which could be why my Sifu has generally has said “NO, THIS WAY” I have been turning at the waist and the power comes from sinking, MUCH like Tai Chi, which I found rather amazing from an art like Sanda.

Boy that was a long way to go just to say I have found a similarity between Sanda and Tai Chi.

Well I’m done rambling, for now, in a long dead post

later

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
You been beating up on poor ol' trees again eh mate? Bully. ;)

Seriously though, glad you're enjoying Sanda. I've been back in training with my Wing Chun, after 3 months off it with my daughter (no energy to train!!). And I'm bruised and battered again. I love it. :)

Let me know how the tree beating goes.

Kwiter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Doesn't sound so crazy to me, think about it, what about them Wing chun gizmos with the articulated arms and so forth, they appear to be oak to me.

I don't think my 5 and 6 year olds are ready for this or the old Hands in the hot sand bit from Shaolin ;-)

Yeah I read nearly EVERYTHING here tho they're training EPAK....Jr ;-)

Skennen Peace.

Don't think you'll be hurting any of these trees unless yer beating on Saplings.

Beating on Maples eh? You gonna tap em come March during the running of the Sap? Wonder if it'll glean More or Less Maple Sap from being Beaten on.

Remember about 40 GALLONS of Maple Sap to make 1 gallon of Syrup!

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Beating on Maples eh? !

Maple, oak, pine, cherry, what’s the difference I am not prejudice when it comes to beating a tree…. Well ok maybe a red wood would be a little scary… but the rest are all fair game…

Remember about 40 GALLONS of Maple Sap to make 1 gallon of Syrup!

I actually knew that.... or at least I knew it takes an awful lot of Maple sap to make an awful little maple syrup.

Latest Discussions