My age got me injured AGAIN.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Talk' started by JowGaWolf, Feb 5, 2018.

1. _Simon_

_Simon_ Purple Belt

Yeah I'm aware of that, I probably didn't train smartly in the 20s and developed imbalances. It's not really a dropoff I guess, but things niggle more if I'm not careful

2. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

lol... yeah and I think that's the problem.

3. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

I've find myself doing more of this as I get older. Injuries these days tend to mean a week of no training to heal.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jobo

jobo Senior Master

well yes, degeneration is inevitable, what is far less certain, is at what,age that degeneration happens and to what extent and what are the factors that effect this. There's no doubt a lot of " old age" is life style . And that people expecting a drop off, find it and use that as an excuses to not exercise. Then there are all the worn out injuries that effect those who were very active in their younger days

there is little to be done about baldness, greyness, wrinkles and hairs growing from your ears, etc. That just happens. A lot of the rest needs you to " volunteer" in varrying amounts.

i can with some accuracy put an age on someone in low,visibility at a distance, just by their movements. Patterns, in fact i can do so just by their posture with out movements. those are to a reasonably extent correctable.

anabolic steroids are a very good anti ageing treatment, as they speed up recovery from hard excess to practically nothing. irrespective of what your t cells are,doing. Though they do of course come with a big down side. But that does indecate that control of blood chemistry had,a marked effect on recovery. It's what you can achieve with out PEDS that is the big question

I'm the fittest 58 yo i know, and i know a lot, through the simple process of regular intense exercise , that's exactly the same exercise my contemparies won't do, as they are " to old" thus the,cycle of degeneration gains pace, this time next year they will have. Dropped off more, Il be stronger and faster( hopefully) than i am now

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  5. AngryHobbit

AngryHobbit Master Black Belt

Do you suppose it would have worked better if you started with something a little lower than the chairs and worked your way up?

6. AngryHobbit

Yeah, that is definitely begging for a slow start. I am sure even these guys who make it look so effortless didn't start with that difference in levels. They might have started with wide push up - regular push up, then added a hop, then maybe added something like thick pads or cinder blocks on each side, and then worked up to chairs.

7. Saheim

Saheim Orange Belt

Wish you a speedy recovery!

8. jobo

jobo Senior Master

what is the extent of your injury? Causing muscle damage that is " pain full" is/ can be a good thing, it shows you have worked the muscle which will in response come back stronger to deal with it if you decided to do it again. Making any significants step forward always brings pain, injuries that cause you to go into spasm/agony on the other hand are not so beneficial,
    just do light exercises in your arms to encourage blood flow and leg exercises till it sorts its self out

9. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

That would have been the smart thing for me to do. I would have been fine if and injury free if I started out this way. This is the downside of doing things just to see if you can do it. For me it's just an old habit that I had growing up that has now become "risky behavior" that needs to be managed. lol.

Thanks. one more day of rest and I should be fine to get back to training.

10. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

I don't think the injury is bad. I stopped soon after it happened and I was in more discomfort than pain. I'll probably do it again but it will be a while before I try anything at the height of the chairs. I don't have any real desire to do the chairs again, beyond me telling someone "hey look at this." I was able to do it twice and so my curiosity is satisfied.

11. AngryHobbit

Please, please, please don't try to bounce back too quickly. You might have some secondary damage that might not become obvious for a couple of days.

12. AngryHobbit

Of course... I should probably just shut up until I learn to behave myself. I did my very first mud run while still recovering from a nasty case of summer flu. It was in June in the Charlotte, NC area. I was running a fever, my lungs were clogged with crud, I overheated halfway through, and by the time I was climbing the last obstacle (which is actually four obstacles in one), I thought I was going to die. I was dangling there on that rope net and thinking they would just have to peel me off and dump me into the mud pit. ;)

13. jobo

jobo Senior Master

well discomfort is a promising sign that good was done and a stronger muscle will result, no pain no gain is WRONG, no soreness, stiffness and discomfort, no gain is more accurate, but less catchy

14. jobo

jobo Senior Master

what sort of secondary injury were you THINKING of? It's a push up not a fall from 20 feet or an RTA