My age got me injured AGAIN.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
you 30, very soon this will be the good old days.

you really shouldn't be experiencing a drop off at your age, what can happen is all those silly things you did on your teen and,20s are coming back to haunt you

Yeah I'm aware of that, I probably didn't train smartly in the 20s and developed imbalances. It's not really a dropoff I guess, but things niggle more if I'm not careful

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
train it smarter and take care of it.
I've find myself doing more of this as I get older. Injuries these days tend to mean a week of no training to heal.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Taking longer to heal and recover as we get older isn’t strictly a psychological and/or societal thing. There’s actual evidence (I intentionally didn’t say proof) for this phenomenon. Telomeres (the end caps of chromosomes) shorten with each cell division. The more they shorten, the less they divide and create new cells. Creating new cells and replacing damaged cells is what recovery and increases in physical conditioning really is in a sense.

When cells aren’t being repaired and replaced as easily and/or with “good cells,” recovery and gains are more difficult. This is easiest seen in skin cells. As we age, skin gets looser, wrinkled, etc. Skin cells turn over quicker than any other human cell (I believe). If it wasn’t for the aging process, skin would look and feel just as good as newborn skin cells, as they’re not much older. It’s the quality of the cells themselves - they’re not as good at producing elastin, collagen, etc., and they’re not being made as quickly either. This could very well be due to the telomeres shortening. Environmental factors play an obvious role, but the best environmental factors won’t make up for genetics.

Take the skin stuff I mentioned and apply it to every other cell type; muscle, tendon, ligament, everything.

So yeah, in other words, there’s more to aging than society telling us to slow down and old wives’ tales.

An article on telomeres and research on treatment attempting to lengthen shortened telomeres from Stanford University...

Telomere extension turns back aging clock in cultured human cells, study finds

well yes, degeneration is inevitable, what is far less certain, is at what,age that degeneration happens and to what extent and what are the factors that effect this. There's no doubt a lot of " old age" is life style . And that people expecting a drop off, find it and use that as an excuses to not exercise. Then there are all the worn out injuries that effect those who were very active in their younger days

there is little to be done about baldness, greyness, wrinkles and hairs growing from your ears, etc. That just happens. A lot of the rest needs you to " volunteer" in varrying amounts.

i can with some accuracy put an age on someone in low,visibility at a distance, just by their movements. Patterns, in fact i can do so just by their posture with out movements. those are to a reasonably extent correctable.

anabolic steroids are a very good anti ageing treatment, as they speed up recovery from hard excess to practically nothing. irrespective of what your t cells are,doing. Though they do of course come with a big down side. But that does indecate that control of blood chemistry had,a marked effect on recovery. It's what you can achieve with out PEDS that is the big question

I'm the fittest 58 yo i know, and i know a lot, through the simple process of regular intense exercise , that's exactly the same exercise my contemparies won't do, as they are " to old" thus the,cycle of degeneration gains pace, this time next year they will have. Dropped off more, Il be stronger and faster( hopefully) than i am now

Last edited:

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
So silly me was going to see if I could push up hop onto 2 chairs without arching my body. I was successful but now I'm gotta do some healing time. Silly me. I probably should have taken a video then everyone could have seen that mix joy of "Yes! I did it!. I think I hurt myself"

Lesson from this story: ...Well it doesn't matter, I probably didn't learn it. lol.
Do you suppose it would have worked better if you started with something a little lower than the chairs and worked your way up?

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Finally found a video that makes it clearer. They refer to them as Plyo Pushups. I didn't realize they had a formal name. I was doing this, but with 2 chairs that look like the chairs in the video above.
Yeah, that is definitely begging for a slow start. I am sure even these guys who make it look so effortless didn't start with that difference in levels. They might have started with wide push up - regular push up, then added a hop, then maybe added something like thick pads or cinder blocks on each side, and then worked up to chairs.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, that is definitely begging for a slow start. I am sure even these guys who make it look so effortless didn't start with that difference in levels. They might have started with wide push up - regular push up, then added a hop, then maybe added something like thick pads or cinder blocks on each side, and then worked up to chairs.
what is the extent of your injury? Causing muscle damage that is " pain full" is/ can be a good thing, it shows you have worked the muscle which will in response come back stronger to deal with it if you decided to do it again. Making any significants step forward always brings pain, injuries that cause you to go into spasm/agony on the other hand are not so beneficial,
just do light exercises in your arms to encourage blood flow and leg exercises till it sorts its self out

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you suppose it would have worked better if you started with something a little lower than the chairs and worked your way up?
That would have been the smart thing for me to do. I would have been fine if and injury free if I started out this way. This is the downside of doing things just to see if you can do it. For me it's just an old habit that I had growing up that has now become "risky behavior" that needs to be managed. lol.

Wish you a speedy recovery!
Thanks. one more day of rest and I should be fine to get back to training.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
what is the extent of your injury? Causing muscle damage that is " pain full" is/ can be a good thing, it shows you have worked the muscle which will in response come back stronger to deal with it if you decided to do it again. Making any significants step forward always brings pain, injuries that cause you to go into spasm/agony on the other hand are not so beneficial,
just do light exercises in your arms to encourage blood flow and leg exercises till it sorts its self out
I don't think the injury is bad. I stopped soon after it happened and I was in more discomfort than pain. I'll probably do it again but it will be a while before I try anything at the height of the chairs. I don't have any real desire to do the chairs again, beyond me telling someone "hey look at this." I was able to do it twice and so my curiosity is satisfied.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't think the injury is bad. I stopped soon after it happened and I was in more discomfort than pain. I'll probably do it again but it will be a while before I try anything at the height of the chairs. I don't have any real desire to do the chairs again, beyond me telling someone "hey look at this." I was able to do it twice and so my curiosity is satisfied.
Please, please, please don't try to bounce back too quickly. You might have some secondary damage that might not become obvious for a couple of days.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
That would have been the smart thing for me to do. I would have been fine if and injury free if I started out this way. This is the downside of doing things just to see if you can do it. For me it's just an old habit that I had growing up that has now become "risky behavior" that needs to be managed. lol.

Of course... I should probably just shut up until I learn to behave myself. I did my very first mud run while still recovering from a nasty case of summer flu. It was in June in the Charlotte, NC area. I was running a fever, my lungs were clogged with crud, I overheated halfway through, and by the time I was climbing the last obstacle (which is actually four obstacles in one), I thought I was going to die. I was dangling there on that rope net and thinking they would just have to peel me off and dump me into the mud pit. ;)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well discomfort is a promising sign that good was done and a stronger muscle will result, no pain no gain is WRONG, no soreness, stiffness and discomfort, no gain is more accurate, but less catchy

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Please, please, please don't try to bounce back too quickly. You might have some secondary damage that might not become obvious for a couple of days.
what sort of secondary injury were you THINKING of? It's a push up not a fall from 20 feet or an RTA

Latest Discussions