My age got me injured AGAIN.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've pretty much have accepted that from time to time I'll do things just to see if I can do it, and I'll end up hurting myself.

Recently injured my shoulder and it feels like pull a few muscles in my right arm and shoulder. I was doing this with some slight differences.

It involved these chairs that look like this

Normally I do push up hops which look like this.

So now the story. When I see people do push ups like the guy in the first video they end up arching their body. When I do my push up hops I keep my back straight so that I'm only using my arms. I do both deep hops and slightly bend arm hops for palm strike conditioning. I recently saw a video of my Sigung (my Sifu's Teacher) do the pushups and hoping onto cinder blocks.

So silly me was going to see if I could push up hop onto 2 chairs without arching my body. I was successful but now I'm gotta do some healing time. Silly me. I probably should have taken a video then everyone could have seen that mix joy of "Yes! I did it!. I think I hurt myself"

Lesson from this story: ...Well it doesn't matter, I probably didn't learn it. lol.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Oh by the way the 3rd video is how I train/condition my Palm Strikes. I'll post a video when my arm heals. The "straight arm" push up strike has the arms slightly bent and when I land I allow my body to give a little when my palm strikes the ground. Don't literally straight arm the hop as it will cause damage to your joints.

I thought I would put that out their just in case someone who didn't know better is thinking about doing this stuff.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've pretty much have accepted that from time to time I'll do things just to see if I can do it, and I'll end up hurting myself.

Recently injured my shoulder and it feels like pull a few muscles in my right arm and shoulder. I was doing this with some slight differences.

So now the story. When I see people do push ups like the guy in the first video they end up arching their body. When I do my push up hops I keep my back straight so that I'm only using my arms. I do both deep hops and slightly bend arm hops for palm strike conditioning. I recently saw a video of my Sigung (my Sifu's Teacher) do the pushups and hoping onto cinder blocks.

So silly me was going to see if I could push up hop onto 2 chairs without arching my body. I was successful but now I'm gotta do some healing time. Silly me. I probably should have taken a video then everyone could have seen that mix joy of "Yes! I did it!. I think I hurt myself"

Lesson from this story: ...Well it doesn't matter, I probably didn't learn it. lol.
what were you actually doing ?

the first example is extremely difficult, it takes not only great strengh but great timing/ co ordination. And if you want to get that far, and who doesn't then starting with your body raised on a bench is the best thing to do.

the second, loads you chest and pack up particularly, you need to work up to that, if you suddenly try that, its most likely will pull something.

the last are some of the worse push up I've seen, going down hips first, that needs less raising of hands and more body rigidity

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Your problem is one I tend to share. You don't want to work up to something by measures - you just want to find out if you can do it. That's where we get into trouble, brother.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My lesson: don't let your eternally 21 year old brain write a check that your 69 year old body can't cash! :D
that's certainly a trueism, but there is a discussion to be had about how much of the aging process is inevitable and how much is cultural, there seems to be a,fall off in peak performance and recovery time, some where between 30 and 40. That fall off seems less obvious , for sub peak performance and sub peak recovery, or you may lose a second of your 100 yards time and take you three days to recover from significant effort instead of two, but those are magnified if playing sport to a high level and are far less obvious to the hobbiest. than to the professional or high level sports man or woman.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's certainly a trueism, but there is a discussion to be had about how much of the aging process is inevitable and how much is cultural, there seems to be a,fall off in peak performance and recovery time, some where between 30 and 40. That fall off seems less obvious , for sub peak performance and sub peak recovery, or you may lose a second of your 100 yards time and take you three days to recover from significant effort instead of two, but those are magnified if playing sport to a high level and are far less obvious to the hobbiest. than to the professional or high level sports man or woman.
It's been pretty obvious to me, though it's probably compounded by a gradual drop-off of activity (which is partly an effect of slower recovery - a cyclical series).

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's been pretty obvious to me, though it's probably compounded by a gradual drop-off of activity (which is partly an effect of slower recovery - a cyclical series).
i read and took inspiration from a study on fitness in your 50s.

the basic premise was they took a group of 20 yo, normal active healthy but not athleticaly trained 20 yo, paid them to lie in bed for three weeks and then measure the fall of in there fitness levels, which were significant, they then trained for for six weeks in which time they more than recovered their fitness.

then they went and found them again at 50, all in pretty bad shape, with the usual mid age heart, joints posture weight problems. This time they trained them for 6 months and returned to them to the fitness they had when they were twenty, before their rest.

it would have been intresting if they had continued to train them for another 6 months to see what level of fitness they could reach.

its rather this journey of recapturing at least a Large % of my 20yo fitness I've been on, with a good deal of success

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
what were you actually doing ?
Finally found a video that makes it clearer. They refer to them as Plyo Pushups. I didn't realize they had a formal name. I was doing this, but with 2 chairs that look like the chairs in the video above.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i read and took inspiration from a study on fitness in your 50s.

the basic premise was they took a group of 20 yo, normal active healthy but not athleticaly trained 20 yo, paid them to lie in bed for three weeks and then measure the fall of in there fitness levels, which were significant, they then trained for for six weeks in which time they more than recovered their fitness.

then they went and found them again at 50, all in pretty bad shape, with the usual mid age heart, joints posture weight problems. This time they trained them for 6 months and returned to them to the fitness they had when they were twenty, before their rest.

it would have been intresting if they had continued to train them for another 6 months to see what level of fitness they could reach.

its rather this journey of recapturing at least a Large % of my 20yo fitness I've been on, with a good deal of success
I can see all of that, but recovery time and tendency to injury (which is likely more a matter of level of injury) definitely is different at 50 than at 20. I agree entirely with you that much of western society seems to historically assume people are done being active and fit after a certain age. That's probably based on experience generations ago, and the age for that seems to be shifting every generation as longevity (and late-life health) increase.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Your problem is one I tend to share. You don't want to work up to something by measures - you just want to find out if you can do it. That's where we get into trouble, brother.
Yep. That's me everytime lol. I just have to remember that's something that my younger self could do with minimum risk of injury lol. the older me needs to take into consideration that my muscles, joints, and ligaments are 45 years old and not 20 years old. lol.

My lesson: don't let your eternally 21 year old brain write a check that your 69 year old body can't cash! :D
Lol. Got you. I'll write a check as soon as my shoulder heals

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
OldMan.jpg

Jow, you old bastard, you!

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Finally found a video that makes it clearer. They refer to them as Plyo Pushups. I didn't realize they had a formal name. I was doing this, but with 2 chairs that look like the chairs in the video above.
id suggest its not the jump, that the problem its the dip at the top that loads up the muscles. So do the jump with out the dip and the dip with out the jump and then bring the two tegether

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can see all of that, but recovery time and tendency to injury (which is likely more a matter of level of injury) definitely is different at 50 than at 20. I agree entirely with you that much of western society seems to historically assume people are done being active and fit after a certain age. That's probably based on experience generations ago, and the age for that seems to be shifting every generation as longevity (and late-life health) increase.
we have done this before, you find your recovery time decreases substantial if you maintain your body in an anabolic state. That is short duration 5 mins or so, high intensity exercise one muscle group a day every day, so your body constantly has the correct blood chemistry for building repairing muscle

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we have done this before, you find your recovery time decreases substantial if you maintain your body in an anabolic state. That is short duration 5 mins or so, high intensity exercise one muscle group a day every day, so your body constantly has the correct blood chemistry for building repairing muscle
I've no argument with that. I just stated that there's a significant change in that as we age. There are ways to accommodate the changes and do better for ourselves, but the changes are there. Healing time is much longer (I assume that's partly the same process as recovery), as well.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've no argument with that. I just stated that there's a significant change in that as we age. There are ways to accommodate the changes and do better for ourselves, but the changes are there. Healing time is much longer (I assume that's partly the same process as recovery), as well.
well no not MUCH longer, 20% maybe, if you create much the same anabolic state as you had in your 20s. Otherwise it can easily be 3 times longer

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Ah sorry to hear that, hope you recover soon!

But..... maaaaad respect [emoji14]

I also love trying things first off to see if I can do it. And at 30 it definitely feels like I don't recover like I used to. But I honestly think that things are just catching up with me and now reached a point where they need addressing. Every time a new injury or niggle pops up, I end up researching and learning sooooo much about the joint/structure, and I end up coming away from it knowing so much more about it, and moreso how to train it smarter and take care of it.

I tend to research things like crazy anyway, but I am definitely learning how to train smarter nowadays :)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah sorry to hear that, hope you recover soon!

But..... maaaaad respect [emoji14]

I also love trying things first off to see if I can do it. And at 30 it definitely feels like I don't recover like I used to. But I honestly think that things are just catching up with me and now reached a point where they need addressing. Every time a new injury or niggle pops up, I end up researching and learning sooooo much about the joint/structure, and I end up coming away from it knowing so much more about it, and moreso how to train it smarter and take care of it.

I tend to research things like crazy anyway, but I am definitely learning how to train smarter nowadays :)
you 30, very soon this will be the good old days.

you really shouldn't be experiencing a drop off at your age, what can happen is all those silly things you did on your teen and,20s are coming back to haunt you

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Taking longer to heal and recover as we get older isn’t strictly a psychological and/or societal thing. There’s actual evidence (I intentionally didn’t say proof) for this phenomenon. Telomeres (the end caps of chromosomes) shorten with each cell division. The more they shorten, the less they divide and create new cells. Creating new cells and replacing damaged cells is what recovery and increases in physical conditioning really is in a sense.

When cells aren’t being repaired and replaced as easily and/or with “good cells,” recovery and gains are more difficult. This is easiest seen in skin cells. As we age, skin gets looser, wrinkled, etc. Skin cells turn over quicker than any other human cell (I believe). If it wasn’t for the aging process, skin would look and feel just as good as newborn skin cells, as they’re not much older. It’s the quality of the cells themselves - they’re not as good at producing elastin, collagen, etc., and they’re not being made as quickly either. This could very well be due to the telomeres shortening. Environmental factors play an obvious role, but the best environmental factors won’t make up for genetics.

Take the skin stuff I mentioned and apply it to every other cell type; muscle, tendon, ligament, everything.

So yeah, in other words, there’s more to aging than society telling us to slow down and old wives’ tales.

An article on telomeres and research on treatment attempting to lengthen shortened telomeres from Stanford University...

Telomere extension turns back aging clock in cultured human cells, study finds

Latest Discussions