Returning to my

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So tonight I trained with my first ever kickboxing coach. The guys the same age as me but has been teaching for years, originally he taught 5 days a week but then he started running his own cafe so he had to close down. But I heard he'd opened up again recently teaching 1 night a week. So I thought I'd go down. The numbers aren't great there was only 5 of us but he's just as good a coach as ever. I'd say his classes are more basics centred mainly working on focus mitts and doing basic combos. While maybe not as intense as some gyms training you get solid skills there.

But what I loved most was at the end I asked him what the I owed for the session and he said nothing as he doesn't charge people to train now. He said he's got plenty of money from his business and he's only doing this once a week to give something to the community and just to be sociable. To me that's just an amazing attitude he works all day until 5 then does his session from 6 and doesn't want a thing for it. I mean he's not going to be bringing up fighters or anything now but he's offering something for people to just come in and train no matter if you have cash or not. You can't not respect that

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Damm noticed the title went funny. Title should be returning to my roots

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So tonight I trained with my first ever kickboxing coach. The guys the same age as me but has been teaching for years, originally he taught 5 days a week but then he started running his own cafe so he had to close down. But I heard he'd opened up again recently teaching 1 night a week. So I thought I'd go down. The numbers aren't great there was only 5 of us but he's just as good a coach as ever. I'd say his classes are more basics centred mainly working on focus mitts and doing basic combos. While maybe not as intense as some gyms training you get solid skills there.

But what I loved most was at the end I asked him what the I owed for the session and he said nothing as he doesn't charge people to train now. He said he's got plenty of money from his business and he's only doing this once a week to give something to the community and just to be sociable. To me that's just an amazing attitude he works all day until 5 then does his session from 6 and doesn't want a thing for it. I mean he's not going to be bringing up fighters or anything now but he's offering something for people to just come in and train no matter if you have cash or not. You can't not respect that
sounds a lot better than that " cult place" you were at

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Ah wow, yeah that's really quite generous! I have great respect for those instructors like the ones I've had over the years that just teach purely because they love the art and don't get paid for it at all. Makes it feel so much purer (not that it isn't when money is involved). And the Vipassana meditation retreats I've been on are similar, don't pay anything specifically for food, accommodation and the retreat, you just donate what you can and what you feel you got out of it.

Very nice, I'm inspired by your enthusiasm to just try out different places, something I'm planning on doing soon. Enjoy the training :)

Latest Discussions