MX: Police station shot with 1000 bullets; force quits en masse

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm...speechless.

This is not the same Mexico that we had 5 years ago or even 3 years ago.

I've mentioned this once before...the population of El Paso is 600,000. The population of Juarez is over 2 million.

Are we really prepared to deal with what's happening on the other side of the Rio Grande? I'm not under any illusion that this will stay within Mexico's borders.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wor...o_quits_after_gunmen_attack_headquarters.html

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol, we have signs up along the US Border letting our citizens know to stay away, back out, don't go near there...often times miles away from the border. I don't know what more we can do. Maybe back up another 5 miles and post another row of signs?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ok, serious answer here.

No, we're not. These gunmen are packing military hardware, often are in fact trained Mexican Army, using their duty gear on a second payroll. If they decided to stage a raid across the border, the local PD would be out gunned and out manned in short order. Nothing short of a -very- strong US military presence in the area will deter them, and possibly not even then. A message should be made, if your crap comes in our yard, be prepared to be taken out with extreme prejudice.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
ok, serious answer here.

No, we're not. These gunmen are packing military hardware, often are in fact trained Mexican Army, using their duty gear on a second payroll. If they decided to stage a raid across the border, the local PD would be out gunned and out manned in short order. Nothing short of a -very- strong US military presence in the area will deter them, and possibly not even then. A message should be made, if your crap comes in our yard, be prepared to be taken out with extreme prejudice.

National Guard is posted at the border in El Paso/Las Cruces area. Has been since 9-11.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A message should be made, if your crap comes in our yard, be prepared to be taken out with extreme prejudice.

If signs like that were posted at all international borders, just as reminders, I think we'd have a much calmer world :tup:.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
National Guard is posted at the border in El Paso/Las Cruces area. Has been since 9-11.
And, are they allowed to engage as needed? I heard they weren't even allowed to load their weapons until they've taken fire.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That doesn't sound too onerous a condition, Bob. Indeed, it sounds a sensible way of keeping down needless 'accidental discharge' incidents.

That is as long as they are actually carrying their ammo with them, of course. If it's locked away then that really is daft.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
If signs like that were posted at all international borders, just as reminders, I think we'd have a much calmer world :tup:.

Big Don, I see you thanked Suke for this.
Did you support the invasion of Iraq?

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thinking of these guys as 'gangs' is not a good way of thinking. These are paramilitary corporations serving a $150 billion black market in North America alone. We, the citizens of the US and Canada, demand their services with one hand, and tell them they can't serve us, and that we'll shoot them in the face with the other.

Mexico gets the worst of the drek because it's the path of least resistance.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
its hard to work for pennies in a poor country and not accept the drug money offered by the drug gangs. Many people are recruited into these drug armies INCLUDING military and Police becasue they PAY SO GOOD and thier honest job dont pay ****.

Think about it this way, if you were broke and hungry and someone offered you $50 to stand on the corner and whistle if you saw the cops, would you do it? well some people are willing to do MORE when desperate.

this isnt one that will be easily solved. just short of an INTERNATIONAL crisis, I dont see the U.S. doing anything about it, and thats ashame.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So. Ignoring the US Border side for the moment, what can Mexico do to stabilize and fight this? The country's heading towards a Somalia level disconnect.

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
its hard to work for pennies in a poor country and not accept the drug money offered by the drug gangs. Many people are recruited into these drug armies INCLUDING military and Police becasue they PAY SO GOOD and thier honest job dont pay ****.

Think about it this way, if you were broke and hungry and someone offered you $50 to stand on the corner and whistle if you saw the cops, would you do it? well some people are willing to do MORE when desperate.

this isnt one that will be easily solved. just short of an INTERNATIONAL crisis, I dont see the U.S. doing anything about it, and thats ashame.

Let Pfizer and Glaxo-Smith-Klein compete with them.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So. Ignoring the US Border side for the moment, what can Mexico do to stabilize and fight this? The country's heading towards a Somalia level disconnect.

good question... I'm not really sure what the answer could be.

the corruption within its own government would have to be the first priority. I'm not saying the President or to that matter... I mean at any level, mainly to the police and military level.

If the chief is on the straight and narrow yet his officers are corrupt, no laws can be enforced.

It needs to start with those in ANY public service, once the corruption can be stopped internally, then a serious "HEAD" hunting should go on and get the drug gangs under control.

5-0 Kenpo

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I'm just curious. How much longer are we going to make excuses for obviously negative behavior?

Latest Discussions