Family in Muslim clothing ejected from flight at Memphis International

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Family in Muslim clothing ejected from flight at Memphis International

Posted: Oct 26, 2010 2:58 PM PDT Tuesday, October 26, 2010 5:58 PM EST Updated: Oct 26, 2010 7:07 PM PDT Tuesday, October 26, 2010 10:07 PM EST

By Jason Miles
MEMPHIS, TN (WMC-TV) EXCERPT:
- Comments about seeing people on a plane who appear to be Muslim got National Public Radio analyst Juan Williams fired last week.

Some cannot help but think their appearance had something to do with a family's removal from a plane Tuesday morning at Memphis International Airport.

"My understanding is they were dressed in attire that would indicate some Muslim-type religion," said airport vice-president Scott Brockman.

The Delta flight in question was operated by Comair and made a stop in Memphis on a journey from Dallas to Toronto.

"On taxi, the crew became concerned when a passenger exited the lavatory after an extended period of time and damage was found in the lavatory," said a Comair spokesperson in a written statement.

Action News 5 learned that damage was to a toilet which was found slightly askew after the man of the family used it.

"The family was asked to leave the aircraft, which they did peacefully," said Brockman. "At that point, the aircraft was inspected and cleared," he added.
END EXCERPT
If you break any part of the vehicle you are traveling in, being asked to leave is perfectly reasonable.

Onyx

White Belt
Reaction score
If you break any part of the vehicle you are traveling in, being asked to leave is perfectly reasonable.

What's with your Muslim obsession? It really isn't healthy, you should seek help.

As to the incident, it was far from reasonable. How do they know he's responsible for the toilet seat? O ya, I forgot. If you're Muslim then you're guilty until proven innocent.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
From the OP

"I mean, even if they were in jeans, they look different," said traveler Prabha Singh. "It's gonna happen."

Singh is Hindu and told us she often feels suspicion herself.

Willams...Hindus...

At least the problem/blame cant be laid solely at the feet of the white male this time.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Racial profiling is something else that we have to work on.

Funny how we forget that the 19 hijackers (according to video surveillance cameras at the airport showed those guys dressed like an everyday American traveler.

On my tours I get hindus dressed up in their traditional garb all the time. I get pakistani and other middle-eastern origin women dressed up in full burkas (just their eyes are showing)... am I going to deny them entry to the cave/attraction simply because they dressed like they do when they're at home?

If they break something in the cave then yeah I'm going to eject them. But only because they were causing damage not because of WHO/WHAT they are.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
... am I going to deny them entry to the cave/attraction simply because they dressed like they do when they're at home?

Hey, it's a well known fact that Osama and Co. lived in caves for years after 9/11. Maybe they just took a wrong turn at Kandahar and wound up at your cave by mistake! You can't be too careful... ;)

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hey, it's a well known fact that Osama and Co. lived in caves for years after 9/11. Maybe they just took a wrong turn at Kandahar and wound up at your cave by mistake! You can't be too careful... ;)

You poor naive fool. They are scouting new bases of operation. Anybody can see that.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Last time I checked wearing “muslim type” clothing was not illegal, however damaging someone else’s property is.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Last time I checked wearing “muslim type” clothing was not illegal, however damaging someone else’s property is.
They weren't thrown off for wearing Muslim clothing. They were thrown off because the crew thought, with reason, the man broke the crapper.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
If the man damaged the toilet, I have no problem with him, and consequently his family, getting kicked off the plane. I do have to wonder though, why his dress was made part of the news story and why you decided it was worth posting on the forum. If the story had been "Man Breaks Airline Toilet" would you have posted it?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Muslims get constipation too you know.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If the man damaged the toilet, I have no problem with him, and consequently his family, getting kicked off the plane. I do have to wonder though, why his dress was made part of the news story and why you decided it was worth posting on the forum. If the story had been "Man Breaks Airline Toilet" would you have posted it?

The media portrayal of the incident is significant and perhaps the the point. As discussed in another thread, there wasn't an really an issue with the NYC Islamic center until the media created the "MOSQUE AT GROUND ZERO!". Media outlets would rather participate in character assassinations and fire people rather than get to the real heart of the matter, which is the media are significantly responsible for the negative feelings many people feel towards "nonconformists".

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
:lfao: And Tez goes right to the heart of the matter.

A little lower than the heart, I think.

Look, there have been no incidents of terrorism by people wearing traditional Arab/Muslim garb. While I believe that most of our enemies don't have the brains to successfully blow their nose let alone an airplane, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they know enough to try to blend in as much as possible. So far, this assumption has been proven true. If I were going to profile anyone, it would be the guy wearing an overabundance of Drakkar.

Latest Discussions