Musings from my probationary 2nd dan test yesterday

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
All good answers! The meaning of "probationary" is unclear to me as well. In the end, it's the first of 2 tests for 2nd dan; passing the 2nd test gets the student the Kukkiwon registration. The 1st and 2nd tests are more or less the same things, although I think the threshold to pass is higher on the 2nd test. Like other schools with intermediary black belt testing, I think it's meant to keep people motivated towards a goal.

For me, the goal of "x" degree isn't that important; my goal is to get better. So I liked the testing not for the extra stripe on my belt, but for doing kicking combinations repeatedly, with both legs, of kicks that are perhaps impractical for me (given my abilities) but beneficial to practice (to increase my abilities).

Please ask and inform us. I may not be able to sleep until I know. :)

OP
G

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Please ask and inform us. I may not be able to sleep until I know. :)
Well, my conclusion is that it is primarily a way to lessen the impact of the cost (i.e, spreading the cost out). I had thought that I would test, and to the extent things needed work, I would then focus on them and test again when ready.

However, we didn't do much of the testing material afterwards, and the next test was set for everyone for about 4 months later.

For me, I knew I would be busy in December and not going to tkd as much. So I anticipate being perhaps slightly worse than I was previously.

The worst adult who never remembers all the combinations will test for the actual 2nd dan. The best adult (with great technique and jumping kicks, and better than me for sure) will only be doing his "probationary" black belt.

IMO, many schools tend to charge little for lessens, then make it up on testing. (Think about cost per hour, from a student's perspective). It's a business with expenses, so I understand that. But I would prefer my view of "probationary" better: an opportunity to see your deficiencies.

Last edited:

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My school has the chairs for the audience right next to the mats. We usually have 1 or 2 kids (more in the white-yellow test) get distracted, but for the most part its not an issue. Then again, 98% of our parents aren't distractions during class or tests.

We also don't have a problem with parents coming onto the mat during class or tests.

Latest Discussions