Differences between Yun-Bee and Wang shu?

Master-Theophylus

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all. For my 4th Dan I'm supposed to be learning Yun-Bee, but i don't have anybody locally to learn this form from. But I know a tang soo do master and he knows wang shu, which is a predecessor to this form and closely resembles it. Can anyone tell me the major or minor differences between the forms?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's part of my curriculum, but my master has forgotten the form. And the next person who knows it in my association is out of state

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The belted practitioners I used to know spent a lot of time going over forms. Again and again and still again. What is the grade of your master?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My 2 cents:

Just learn Wan Shu from your local source and call it a day. As I understand it, the Yun Bi and Wang Shu are the exact same form anyway, coming ancestrally from the kata Enpi which was a refinement of sorts from the Okinawan form Wansu. Whether one calls it Yun Bi or Wang Shu is more a Korean lineage thing than a real difference in how the form should be run.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My 2 cents:

Just learn Wan Shu from your local source and call it a day. As I understand it, the Yun Bi and Wang Shu are the exact same form anyway, coming ancestrally from the kata Enpi which was a refinement of sorts from the Okinawan form Wansu. Whether one calls it Yun Bi or Wang Shu is more a Korean lineage thing than a real difference in how the form should be run.

And if the master doesn't remember it anyway, it's not like he's going to be able to tell the difference. :rolleyes:

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
And if the master doesn't remember it anyway, it's not like he's going to be able to tell the difference. :rolleyes:

It's all opinion anyway. I have a training brother I hadn't seen in person for about 14 years. We used to be very close and we had the same teacher. We had a reunion a few months ago and worked out together. Our kata had diverged from each other. Not in a bad way. Rather than argue about who was right and more orthodox, we chose instead to learn from each other and ask why to do this or that. I enjoyed the time tremendously. In the end, that's karate - not some list of requirements we must adhere to in order to receive some rank.

Latest Discussions