Music

OP
T

tonbo

I gotta remember that, next time we get in a "range" discussion at my school......yeah, let's see.... you have your "throwing range", your "kicking range", your "striking range", your "grappling/joint locks range".....and your "F range"...

Gotta love it.

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin

Speaking of dancing, when people get in that close I call it my "F" range. Which means if they are that close we either are gonna be fighting or %$#@ing and you better choose 'cause either way I will be leading.
:shrug:

That one is going in my book.
:lol: :rofl: :lol: :rofl: :lol:

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like having the music on to help focus better. You have to really focus and pay attention with music going in the background. You can't turn it off out in the real world can you and besides, don't the Muay Tai people fight to music (just not Buffett's greatest hits though).

:asian:

OP
T

tonbo

Yes, Muay Thai matches are typically held to live music, at least that's what I've heard. Might be a myth, though, as I have never actually been to one of those matches.

I know that music is also a big part of Capoeira as well, traditionally.

I agree about the focus part. Sometimes, though, when training at home, I don't need the music to keep testing my focus. What with the kids running around asking questions, the dogs chasing each other through the house, my wife asking me questions on how I would do certain techniques (and doing her forms at the same time as I am).......who needs *music* to test focus? :p

But sometimes.......;)

Peace--

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin

Speaking of dancing, when people get in that close I call it my "F" range. Which means if they are that close we either are gonna be fighting or %$#@ing and you better choose 'cause either way I will be leading.
:shrug:

:eek: Oh My..............
You don't care if I use that one do you?
I guess I don't need to ask you if you'd like this dance then..............:rofl:

OP
G

GouRonin

Use it all you want. Just say where you got it from. Heh heh heh...
:rolleyes:

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How many hours do you spend a day coming up with this stuff?

I'm going to have my instructor tell Vlad you've got too much time on your hands and he needs to work you harder :D

OP
G

GouRonin

You'd think I spent hours daily coming up with this stuff. In reality I just comment on the things I see. If myself or someone does something stupid I say, "Man, that was stupid." I'm not afraid to laugh at myself or look at what I have done. I don't think I have an ego that way.

However I like to think I look at many things differently than most people. I think outside the box. A good example of that might be that if you look at things like I do, "I'm not trapped in here with all of you guys, you're all trapped in here with me." It's all about how you look at anything.

So really, I just sorta say what I see. Jaybacca and a few others who know me will attest that a night out with me is sometimes hilarious.

OP
F

FLY

Well this will come as a surprise to those who are aware of my educational background and former profession, but I highly dislike using music to train to. I personally believe that a superimposed rhythm will affect the body's own natural rhythm that, IMHO flows in a much more 'rubato' manner than electronically generated 'technobeat', or even the 'pecking of parrots' for that matter (no disrespect intended to Jimmy Buffett whose music I've loved for decades.) Maybe for weight lifting, cardio, or Tae Bo, but not, I am afraid, for Kenpo!

I have to agree with Tunetigress and Zoran. Whenever I work out with weights (which isn't too often anymore;) ) I need to have music on, and it has to have a good beat....dance, rock whatever...as long as it has a good beat.

When I'm on my way to sparring, group or private class, the music is normally cranked (anything from White Zombie to Bob Dylan to Serapis Bey). My mood will dictate what type of music that I'm listening too, but it generally is fast and loud ;)
(speaking about Gou's 'F' range.....whoops, that's a different story :moon: )
After class though, on my way home, I normally turn the volume down and listen to a more relaxed/mellow style of music. Kinda like warming up before class, and cooling down after.

I have never had a private or group class with music but I have sparred to it before. It didn't help me or hinder me though (at least I don't think it did). As soon as the match began, it was like somebody shut the music off 'cause I didn't hear it again until my sensei yelled break ;)
So, as far as Kenpo goes, I prefer to listen to my music before and after class, not during. (plus it is often difficult to find music that everyone can agree on)

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm reviving this dinosaur :)

I found music has really done well at our school.. I've burned a variety of cd's from Swing to Techno.. Depending on what we are doing .. each class has music playing. Being an old fossil .. I love the beats of Swing, Blues, Big bands and Jazz.. and good ole Rock.. The children's class adores the swing .. Brian Setzer, Squirrel Nut zippers, Zoot suit riot.. it's got a beat that everyone seems to enjoy. Kinda fun watching the young adults 'swing sparring' *G* Then we have Techno, Trance.. and other such 'soothing wail music' 'the rave' scene from Blade.. must go on for at least 10 minutes.. but it works!~
Aerosmith is right up there.. George Thorogood, and a bunch of Metal bands.. we have Rush, Guns' n' Roses.. a variety for all..
But you can only play those so many times .. New Blood needed~!

Requirements:
Good Beat.. Maybe something also Sultry tempo..
Preferably Instrumental..
If Lyrics.. have to be clean.. (children hang out after kids class)
Doesn't have to be something you use in your school.. just something you like :)

Thanks ~!

Tess

OP
T

tunetigress

The use of music can be incredibly powerful as a motivator for children. Music can get the average person charged up as well as calmed down. Wisely chosen, the tempo of the music's beat can inspire participants to keep up with the group and help them to access the energy to do so. Unfortunately, ill-chosen music can be profoundly brain-numbing, and since the average non-musician simply throws on whatever tunes they *like* rather than choosing musical styles which would enhance the chosen activity, always training to your favourite tunes could prevent some students from learning to feel the underlying rhythms of the various techniques and forms. Yes, music is great for working out to, I just don't feel that it enhances all aspects of training, and could seriously hinder development if used indiscriminately.

:soapbox:

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by tunetigress

The use of music can be incredibly powerful as a motivator for children. Music can get the average person charged up as well as calmed down. Wisely chosen, the tempo of the music's beat can inspire participants to keep up with the group and help them to access the energy to do so. Unfortunately, ill-chosen music can be profoundly brain-numbing, and since the average non-musician simply throws on whatever tunes they *like* rather than choosing musical styles which would enhance the chosen activity, always training to your favourite tunes could prevent some students from learning to feel the underlying rhythms of the various techniques and forms. Yes, music is great for working out to, I just don't feel that it enhances all aspects of training, and could seriously hinder development if used indiscriminately.

I wholeheartedly agree with you Tunetigress :)

When the 'soothing wail music' is playing, and we are sparring.. I get so out of sorts it's not fun to watch. I'm seriously hampered with that beat and to me it's rather just noise. (Sorry Chronuss.. heheee) I think inside each of us is some primal force that is imprinted with our ancestors. Some can really get 'into' the trance, rave, techno and I don't mean the kids of today.. and I don't think it's wholely related to how we were raised as far as musical influence. We don't allow anything that is 'heavy' for the children's class. I burned some kids classic CD's that are age relative and they get alot of enjoyment from those.
I, myself, can get soo into Classical besides the swing etc , and would love to introduce some into the general adult classes..
Thanks for your input!!

Tess

jkn75

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know this is the Kempo forum but this is a good thread, so I wanted to comment. Music is important because it gets people moving no matter the age. It is a useful tool and a nice change of pace. Usually my instructor would play traditional korean music throughout class. Sometimes he would mix in everything from DMX to classical to traditional. He would use rap and rock in our demonstrations, that would always get people's attention.
On a side note, we now have a hip hop dance class before our martial arts class. They need to learn what is appropriate to play in front of kids.

OP
J

J-kid

What i think are good songs to train and fight to are songs like Mortal conbat and Matrix lobby seen.

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
personally, Prodigy's "Smack my ***** up" is a good track to spar to..hehe...just most of the people in the dojo don't like that one word. Also, New Order's "Confusion" (Blade club scene) is another great. Also, if you haven't heard this one, Soil's "Breaking Me Down", go d/l it off Kazaa right now!! This is an awesome kata song, it's less than three minutes (about 2:23) which is great for kata's and could also be used for a tourny kata, currently I'm trying to learn a kama kata to go along with it. nothing better than flying blades and a fast tempo..hehe.

if anyone can give me some other great techno or trance songs it would be greatly appreciated.

btw, Lunatic Calm's "Leave You Far Behind" is another goodie and Rob Zombie's "Dragula [Remix]".

also, I downloaded a theme song for one of younder students because we have purposely turned him into a walking callus, Sugar Cult, "Bouncing Off The Walls Again"...hehe.

OP
B

brianhunter

whats forms have you guys done to music? how did it work out and what songs did you use???

OP
T

tonbo

I recently compiled a great CD of techno songs for workout practice. It has a couple of songs off of the Blade II soundtrack, a few relentless, driving beats, and a number of songs that are just straight energy. It is 80 minutes of pure blood pumping fun.

As far as forms to music go: for my Black Belt test, I created a sword form and did it to the techno track from Blade ("Confusion"?). It rocked, and I had one of the best times...:)

Ah, the memories.....

Peace--

FUZZYJ692000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chronuss

also, I downloaded a theme song for one of younder students because we have purposely turned him into a walking callus, Sugar Cult, "Bouncing Off The Walls Again"...hehe.

I wonder who you could be talking about there:rofl: ? I personally like the music, especially when sparring. It is a great motivator to step it up a beat when you are starting to get tired. Tess some of your music is weird, but hey who says our class isn't. The slower songs I like when working on techniques. It helps me stay with a pace and not stop in between. The kids absolutely love the swing stuff, it's different for them and it's fun and upbeat. :cool:

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by tonbo

I recently compiled a great CD of techno songs for workout practice. It has a couple of songs off of the Blade II soundtrack, a few relentless, driving beats, and a number of songs that are just straight energy. It is 80 minutes of pure blood pumping fun.

do you have the bands and the names of the songs handy? I wanna compile a cd for the college classes when we begin to spar there. it'll also be a nice demo if Seig let's a couple of the upper belts go at it first. hehe. btw, PLEASE don't list any Daft Punk songs...I'll vomit.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Originally posted by Chronuss

personally, Prodigy's "Smack my ***** up" is a good track to spar to..hehe...just most of the people in the dojo don't like that one word. Also, New Order's "Confusion" (Blade club scene) is another great. Also, if you haven't heard this one, Soil's "Breaking Me Down", go d/l it off Kazaa right now!! This is an awesome kata song, it's less than three minutes (about 2:23) which is great for kata's and could also be used for a tourny kata, currently I'm trying to learn a kama kata to go along with it. nothing better than flying blades and a fast tempo..hehe.

if anyone can give me some other great techno or trance songs it would be greatly appreciated.

btw, Lunatic Calm's "Leave You Far Behind" is another goodie and Rob Zombie's "Dragula [Remix]".

I keep telling him that this is NOT music!:barf:

Latest Discussions