Music

OP
S

Stick Dummy

personally, Prodigy's "Smack my ***** up" is a good track to spar to..hehe...

Talk about a self fullfilling prophesy........................

Chronuss,

Then why is it your version of the lyrics always start with:

"OH GOD I'M DEAD!!!"

Personally I love to work out to any music OTHER than the Barney Theme song, the more surreal the better eh.

Tess, "Soothing Whale" music

W-H-A-L-E music

I love the Big Band stuff too, but then again who else has my carefully blended patented Curly Howard, Pee Wee Herman, hot stepping footwork Nyuck Nyuck:rofl:

I'll try to remember to bring in some Indonesian stuff, or Jap Drums one of these night, Spanish Guitar is GREAT for knive drills gets the blood flowing.............

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Stick Dummy

Talk about a self fullfilling prophesy........................

Chronuss,

Then why is it your version of the lyrics always start with:

"OH GOD I'M DEAD!!!"

Personally I love to work out to any music OTHER than the Barney Theme song, the more surreal the better eh.

Tess, "Soothing Whale" music

W-H-A-L-E music

I love the Big Band stuff too, but then again who else has my carefully blended patented Curly Howard, Pee Wee Herman, hot stepping footwork Nyuck Nyuck:rofl:

I'll try to remember to bring in some Indonesian stuff, or Jap Drums one of these night, Spanish Guitar is GREAT for knive drills gets the blood flowing.............

Pete, *g* yeah I know it's Whale.. but when Chad plays his stuff.. I think of 'Wail' ~!!

Nobody has your carefully blended footwork Pete..~!!
You're the Man with da Feets~!!!

Spanish guitar makes me melt.. lotta good that will do.. ~!!

Gotta remember to bring in the digital and get pics of the new project tomorrow:) Thanks again !! *BG*

OP
S

Stick Dummy

Tess,

Talk about Ground Hog Day,

I'm sitting here taking a break from hanging knives, swords & machetes, moving goodies around in the Dungeon (Jani's Favorite room:rofl: ), and scratching my head trying to figure out where to hang this "spare tire".........

Oh and listening to "The Fast & The Furious" soundtrack for possible addition to some more "Whale" tapes:asian:

wanna burn me a copy of Dirty Vegas "Days Go By"?

I'll be your best friend:D

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Tess,

Talk about Ground Hog Day,

I'm sitting here taking a break from hanging knives, swords & machetes, moving goodies around in the Dungeon (Jani's Favorite room:rofl: ), and scratching my head trying to figure out where to hang this "spare tire".........

Oh and listening to "The Fast & The Furious" soundtrack for possible addition to some more "Whale" tapes:asian:

wanna burn me a copy of Dirty Vegas "Days Go By"?

I'll be your best friend:D

*perks* Dungeon? Heheee.. Sure glad I have a good idea what your 'dungeon' consists of Pete~!! *g*
Gee doesn't Hunter have a jungle gym you could slip an extra tire onto? hehehee.. I remember waaaaay back when I was always bringing home 'stuff' that I found .. had a really unique wooden toilet seat combo with lid.. wanted to use it other than the norm.. so made a 'trophy' out of it for the Yacht club.. 'tail ender' place.. it was quite amusing..*snorts*

I found 3 different versions and got them all of Days Go By.. *does the happy dance* I'll just burn them on a cd for ya :)

thesensei

Green Belt
Reaction score
hate music when i'm working out...breaks my concentration! but, using music in a demonstration can be very effective. we normally have a team of about 15 guys, and we always start our demo with a major 15 man kata using weapons and empty hand, to the "Superman" theme song...wow...looks very good, very impressive! when done well, it looks real - people love the sword/bo fight!

OP
S

Stick Dummy

Sensei-Dude,

I USED to sneer at music for Martial Arts back when I did the Japanese and Okinawan Kara-Te's.

NO MORE!!!

I have evolved past that point and find the music to be VERY beneficial for timing stuff. Especially with weapons sparring and flow drills.

Spar to the beat and then throw off your opponent with half beats, or in my case Disco Moves.

Then you hit'em multiple times when they are laughing at you...........

TessMania,

Thanks! I have a "fun" class plan for that CD, will talk to Seig in the AM about it............(sinister laugh)

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoTess

I Being an old fossil .. I love the beats of Swing, Blues, Big bands and Jazz.. and good ole Rock.. The children's class adores the swing .. Brian Setzer, Squirrel Nut zippers, Zoot suit riot.. it's got a beat that everyone seems to enjoy. Kinda fun watching the young adults 'swing sparring' *G* Then we have Techno, Trance.. and other such 'soothing wail music' 'the rave' scene from Blade.. must go on for at least 10 minutes.. but it works!~
Aerosmith is right up there.. George Thorogood, and a bunch of Metal bands.. we have Rush, Guns' n' Roses.. a variety for all..
But you can only play those so many times .. New Blood needed~!

Hrmm, I think you need to ring up my senei and educate him about music a little! We play music sometimes, but all he has are Ibiza compilations that annoy the %^&* out of me!

Sparring to Aerosmith, now there's a dream....!

Ian.

OP
S

Stick Dummy

Seig,

Thought of the day:

Triangle stepping is nothing more than "Castles in the Sky"

as Tessmania sez.......:uhoh:

OP
B

brianhunter

Originally posted by brianhunter

whats forms have you guys done to music? how did it work out and what songs did you use???

ANYONE?!?!?!? ANYONE?!?!?!?!

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Seig,

Thought of the day:

Triangle stepping is nothing more than "Castles in the Sky"

as Tessmania sez.......:uhoh:

Uh oh.. I think I know what you're up to Pete.. *cringes* :uhoh:
isn't that a great song.. ~! *w*

Guess I better go wake up Seig.. he's having a bit of a cat nap:)

OP
S

Stick Dummy

Brian,

Freestyle Musical Stick Form entitled:
"Geezer One-Over the hill, and picking up speed"
to Bad English's "Forget Me Not".

Freestyle Musical Kama form Okinawan base entitled
Geezer Two - Limping through the garden - weeding"
to :Rammsteins "Stripped" track 12 Sehnsucht album

Breaking Muscal form to The Outsiders "Time Won't Let me"

Showing my age huh?

OP
B

brianhunter

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Short Form #1 to Queens Another One Bites the Dust

:asian:

Sounds good Im gonna have to try it...Sibok Tom Kelly said something once about doing Long 4 to magic carpet ride....would have been cool to see probably.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

I always like "Wipe Out" by the Surfaris for a bo kata

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok I would like to compile a good list of music.. so I can go on a download and burning frenzy..
Music to spar by.. Good beats needed..
Stuff for weapon training
General Tec music..
Stuff for kids * wittle kids*

Since I'm a fossil I haven't kept up with the new stuff..

Thanks.. :))

Tess

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoTess

Ok I would like to compile a good list of music.. so I can go on a download and burning frenzy..
Music to spar by.. Good beats needed..
Stuff for weapon training
General Tec music..
Stuff for kids * wittle kids*

Since I'm a fossil I haven't kept up with the new stuff..

Thanks.. :))

Tess

At least you seem to listen to some of the new stuff, now and again....
All I ever listen to is country music, or Jimmy Buffet...

C'mon, I'm not really that old....
--Dave

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by D.Cobb

At least you seem to listen to some of the new stuff, now and again....
All I ever listen to is country music, or Jimmy Buffet...

C'mon, I'm not really that old....
--Dave

I hear ya Dave~ One good thing about being co-owner .. I am in charge of the music and will put on what I darn well want..*chuckles* If someone doesn't like it.. well tough.. *G*

OP
K

KenpoGirl

It matters what you are using the music for.

If you are looking for music for cardio class, I suggest Latin and Disco/Dance music. They have the energetic beats that help keep you on the beat and keep things up tempo. Hard to do jumping jacks to a balad no matter how dedicated you are.

If you are talking background music while you train, I'd suggest any type of upbeat Rock and Roll, and the upbeat newer Country music. It's gotta be energetic or it just distracts people from doing a good hard workout.

If you want something to do a hard powerhouse Bag Work, I'd suggest Hard Rock/Heavy Metal nothing like a pounding guitar riff to bring out the maniac in you to beat the pulp out of a punching bag.

Of course you might have the issue that you can't stand any of the above music types, so in the end it's what ever gets and keeps you moving.

Dot

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by KenpoGirl

It matters what you are using the music for.

If you are looking for music for cardio class, I suggest Latin and Disco/Dance music. They have the energetic beats that help keep you on the beat and keep things up tempo. Hard to do jumping jacks to a balad no matter how dedicated you are.

If you are talking background music while you train, I'd suggest any type of upbeat Rock and Roll, and the upbeat newer Country music. It's gotta be energetic or it just distracts people from doing a good hard workout.

If you want something to do a hard powerhouse Bag Work, I'd suggest Hard Rock/Heavy Metal nothing like a pounding guitar riff to bring out the maniac in you to beat the pulp out of a punching bag.

Of course you might have the issue that you can't stand any of the above music types, so in the end it's what ever gets and keeps you moving.

Dot

Thanks Dot :)

I like just about any music actually.. though I'm such a mood dependant person.. so when anyone asks me what my favorite music is.. I can't really tell them.. depends on my mood.. *s*

I know most of the students in our school are under 23.. so trying to find something in the happy medium.. we have Techno, Trance, Rave.. No Hip hop or Rap allowed.. just cuz I don't like it.. and I draw the line at twangy country.. I like most of the new country.. unless it's sappy.. ya know the kind *g*
anything with a driving beat works.. we use it for sparring.. and just general backgound noise as we work our tecs..
I burned Castles in the sky for Stick Dummy.. Knowing full well he's going to use it for probably Stick night.. :)

I need some good titles and artists names so I can go find them .. :)

Thanks again~!

Tess

Latest Discussions