multi style workshop

OP
J. Pickard

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Just throwing out an update on this event:
We will be hosting this at my Dojang (if the weather is nice, we have a big grassy area in back we can use as well), location and time details can be found here: Martial Arts.
We have a local sandwich shop that will likely have their food truck on site for a lunch break. Doors open at 9:30, workshop starts at 10am!
This is open to all ages and experience levels, but I don't recommend under 10 years old. The youngest we had last year was 10 and the oldest was in their 70s at the time so there was quite a spread.

If anyone is planning on participating there is a registration form at the link above so we can get a rough head count. Any questions can be messaged to me directly or you can email our dojang at [email protected]

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just throwing out an update on this event:
We will be hosting this at my Dojang (if the weather is nice, we have a big grassy area in back we can use as well), location and time details can be found here: Martial Arts.
We have a local sandwich shop that will likely have their food truck on site for a lunch break. Doors open at 9:30, workshop starts at 10am!
This is open to all ages and experience levels, but I don't recommend under 10 years old. The youngest we had last year was 10 and the oldest was in their 70s at the time so there was quite a spread.

If anyone is planning on participating there is a registration form at the link above so we can get a rough head count. Any questions can be messaged to me directly or you can email our dojang at [email protected]
Who is the uechi instructor?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Uechi sensei is still tentative. Her name is Teresa Piatek. She is 7th dan under Sensei James Thompson.

So, you've got Rich, Bill, myself, a Mr. Jornales, and tentatively Ms. Piatek. Are you the 6th instructor or do you have someone else lined up?

OP
J. Pickard

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So, you've got Rich, Bill, myself, a Mr. Jornales, and tentatively Ms. Piatek. Are you the 6th instructor or do you have someone else lined up?
It will likely be our school founder. I will fill in for him provided something comes up.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been giving this a lot of thought and with an hour, I'd like to talk about the soft techniques of Isshinryu with hands-on demonstrations. Does anyone have any issue with that, or suggestions, etc? I can come up with a handout as well if anyone would find that useful.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been giving this a lot of thought and with an hour, I'd like to talk about the soft techniques of Isshinryu with hands-on demonstrations. Does anyone have any issue with that, or suggestions, etc? I can come up with a handout as well if anyone would find that useful.
Sounds good to me.

OP
J. Pickard

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I like it

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just made hotel reservations for myself and my uke. We'll be driving in on Friday evening after work in Pontiac, MI. We have worked out our presentation routine; hope your guests will enjoy it. Looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones.

OP
J. Pickard

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I just made hotel reservations for myself and my uke. We'll be driving in on Friday evening after work in Pontiac, MI. We have worked out our presentation routine; hope your guests will enjoy it. Looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones.
I look forward to it!

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Apologies to everyone going.

I have to drive down to Atlanta Wednesday for a failed startup. Unless things go swimmingly (doubtful) I am going to miss the get together.
The plan is to be back up and running by Saturday and right now, I don't know exactly what went wrong. This is the crazy nature of my business.

Any chance someone will be videoing the content?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apologies to everyone going.

I have to drive down to Atlanta Wednesday for a failed startup. Unless things go swimmingly (doubtful) I am going to miss the get together.
The plan is to be back up and running by Saturday and right now, I don't know exactly what went wrong. This is the crazy nature of my business.

Any chance someone will be videoing the content?
Just FYI, this thread is for the workshop in Michigan. The meetup at my gym in Kentucky (which I think was the one you were hoping to attend) isn’t until the end of the month.

gyoja

Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just FYI, this thread is for the workshop in Michigan. The meetup at my gym in Kentucky (which I think was the one you were hoping to attend) isn’t until the end of the month.
Will any video be available? This seems like it could be very valuable.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You'll have to ask @J. Pickard about video for the workshop this weekend. As far as the meetup in Lexington at the end of the month, I figure we'll play that by ear based on what the attendees feel like doing.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll be driving up on Friday as well. What time are you expecting to get into town?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll be driving up on Friday as well. What time are you expecting to get into town?
I will be leaving work at 5 PM in Pontiac, picking up my uke, then driving. We'll probably stop for dinner/fuel, and it's about a 2.5 hour drive as I recall, so maybe sometime between 8 and 9 PM? Just a guess.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I will be leaving work at 5 PM in Pontiac, picking up my uke, then driving. We'll probably stop for dinner/fuel, and it's about a 2.5 hour drive as I recall, so maybe sometime between 8 and 9 PM? Just a guess.
I was thinking that maybe we could meet up for a little bit the evening before, but if you don’t get there until 9:00, then you’ll probably just want to be settling into your hotel room.

I took the day off work so that I could drive up, so my arrival time will depend on when I manage to take off. I was hoping to get there by 7:00-ish, but it might be later.

Latest Discussions