multi style workshop

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Last year my school hosted a multi style workshop with a few guest instructors from various styles and we all had so much fun we are doing it again this year! This is a free event, although donations are always welcome, and it is open to any martial artist regardless of age, rank, or style. last year we had as young as 10 participating and as old as 71. It's a family friendly event so no tobacco, marijuana, or alcohol use allowed on site. So far we have one confirmed FMA instructor, a tentative Uechi Ryu sensei and still waiting to hear back from a few others. If you are in the west Michigan area or want to travel we would love to host you! If you would like to donate your time as a guest instructor and share concepts, techniques, or anything else, from your school/style just send me a message.

When: April 6 10am - until finished
Where: Zeeland Michigan (exact facility to be determined at a later time)

Attachments

• Multi-Style martial arts workshop.png
    Multi-Style martial arts workshop.png
    460.6 KB · Views: 16
OP
J. Pickard

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What would you need me to do?
The point of the workshop is purely for fun and learning. If you just want to participate, just show up with an open mind and have a good time. I try to make it so we dont have any overlap in guest instructor styles so of you want to present a system that we dont have represented yet you can do pretty much whatever you want. Each guest instructor has about an hour to present their stuff. Last year we had a uechi ryu sensei demonstrate seisan kata and taught everyone bunkai for it an we practiced it with different partners. A kobudo sensei taught a bo kata. I ran a 45 minute workshop on delivering KO power with lead leg kicks, and we had a Shorin ryu sensie and Bjj coach demonstrate some close quarters and grappling concepts they do at their dojo.

This year I have a FMA instructor lined up that is doing a sticks seminar for an hour and will also have a table of homemade FMA weapons for purchase. And potentially the same Uechi sensei from last year doing some body conditioning drills.

Waiting to hear back from a wrestling school at the moment and unfortunately the Shorin Ryu sensei will be overseas this year, but his students may attend.

Last edited:

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The point of the workshop is purely for fun and learning. If you just want to participate, just show up with an open mind and have a good time. I try to make it so we dont have any overlap in guest instructor styles so of you want to present a system that we dont have represented yet you can do pretty much whatever you want. Each guest instructor has about an hour to present their stuff. Last year we had a uechi ryu sensei demonstrate seisan kata and taught everyone bunkai for it an we practiced it with different partners. A kobudo sensei taught a bo kata. I ran a 45 minute workshop on delivering KO power with lead leg kicks, and we had a Shorin ryu sensie and Bjj coach demonstrate some close quarters and grappling concepts they do at their dojo.

This year I have a FMA instructor lined up that is doing a sticks seminar for an hour and will also have a table of homemade FMA weapons for purchase. And potentially the same Uechi sensei from last year doing some body conditioning drills.

Waiting to hear back from a wrestling school at the moment and unfortunately the Shorin Ryu sensei will be overseas this year, but his students may attend.
Who's the audience mostly?

OP
J. Pickard

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Who's the audience mostly?
based on last year, it was a pretty even mix of ages between kids and adults and nobody had less than about 10 months experience in their respective style. Ideally everyone participating would be serious martial artists that have a genuine interest in learning and trying new things regardless of style and who enjoy meeting likeminded individuals.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This sounds fun and I'd love to participate, but things are pretty hectic right now. Do you think you'll plan on another one in 2025?

OP
J. Pickard

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This sounds fun and I'd love to participate, but things are pretty hectic right now. Do you think you'll plan on another one in 2025?
If this one goes as well as last years, then yes.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
based on last year, it was a pretty even mix of ages between kids and adults and nobody had less than about 10 months experience in their respective style. Ideally everyone participating would be serious martial artists that have a genuine interest in learning and trying new things regardless of style and who enjoy meeting likeminded individuals.
I teach kids and adults. I can break down isshinryu kata, do the bunkai, and so on. I do hold sandan rank.

OP
J. Pickard

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I teach kids and adults. I can break down isshinryu kata, do the bunkai, and so on. I do hold sandan rank.
That would be great! I can schedule you in and message you with more details as the event gets closer and things get finalized.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That would be great! I can schedule you in and message you with more details as the event gets closer and things get finalized.
I'm in SE Michigan. Bit of a hike but not too bad. If you can think of anything else you'd like me to teach, let me know.

OP
J. Pickard

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This is a bad idea. When someone drops 3 pennies as donation, you don't know you should laugh, or you should cry.

Are 3 pennies donation better than no donation?

View attachment 30567
It worked out great last year. The few donations we had bought a case of water and gatorade for everyone to refuel during the lunch break.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It worked out great last year. The few donations we had bought a case of water and gatorade for everyone to refuel during the lunch break.
Murphy's Law said, "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong."

If you only have 3 cents in that donation box, but you have 4 MA instructors, how will you share those 3 cents among your 4 MA instructors?

It's not a good idea to put your MA instructors in that situation.

OP
J. Pickard

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Murphy's Law said, "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong."

If you only have 3 cents in that donation box, but you have 4 MA instructors, how will you share those 3 cents among your 4 MA instructors?

It's not a good idea to put your MA instructors in that situation.
Which is why I specify that if anybody would like to donate their time as a guest instructor I would love to host them. This event is entirely free for all and as such I cannot offer any form of compensation for any instructor that volunteers. I understand this is not feasible for some and to them I welcome them to come simply as a participant and if even that isnt doable, then maybe next year.

Last year I paid about $400 out of pocket to cover the costs involved. This year I expect it to be closer to $500 and I dont expext any form of reimbursement as it is my choice to do this. Last year we recieved about $50 in donations. I used that to go to the store and buy bottled water and gatorade for all participants as well as some oranges and bananas for those that only wanted something light to refuel with. Any donations this year will likely be used the same way.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I teach FMA as well.
I would be interested.
I could work on some empty hand or blade or stick (Different or tangent if asked to the other instructor.)
I am about 2 hour or 2 hours+ depending upon where in the Zeeland area it is held.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a bad idea. When someone drops 3 pennies as donation, you don't know you should laugh, or you should cry.

Are 3 pennies donation better than no donation?
Not everybody is motivated solely by profit. It's a free event. Instructors are donating their time. So, yes. Three pennies are better than no pennies.

Last edited:
OP
J. Pickard

J. Pickard

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I teach FMA as well.
I would be interested.
I could work on some empty hand or blade or stick (Different or tangent if asked to the other instructor.)
I am about 2 hour or 2 hours+ depending upon where in the Zeeland area it is held.
I want to try to avoid instructor overlap of styles, but some empty hand stuff might work. Let me talk to Mr. Jornales, the FMA instructor I currently have lined up, and make sure that wont overlap with his stuff.

I wasnt expecting this many people willing to volunteer their time as instructors.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I want to try to avoid instructor overlap of styles, but some empty hand stuff might work. Let me talk to Mr. Jornales, the FMA instructor I currently have lined up, and make sure that wont overlap with his stuff.

I wasnt expecting this many people willing to volunteer their time as instructors.
GM Bong, and I know each other.
His double stick, and my Single stick are far enough apart.
Also empty hand / joint locks as stated would be fun.
Just let me know.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I used to attend this sort of thing many times a year. But I am on a cruise during this one. Which sucks as I am just up the 401 in Toronto area. Always happy to cross train so I hope other opps come about

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Last year my school hosted a multi style workshop with a few guest instructors from various styles and we all had so much fun we are doing it again this year! This is a free event, although donations are always welcome, and it is open to any martial artist regardless of age, rank, or style. last year we had as young as 10 participating and as old as 71. It's a family friendly event so no tobacco, marijuana, or alcohol use allowed on site. So far we have one confirmed FMA instructor, a tentative Uechi Ryu sensei and still waiting to hear back from a few others. If you are in the west Michigan area or want to travel we would love to host you! If you would like to donate your time as a guest instructor and share concepts, techniques, or anything else, from your school/style just send me a message.

When: April 6 10am - until finished
Where: Zeeland Michigan (exact facility to be determined at a later time)
Unfortunately, too far away for me.

Latest Discussions