Mr. Stickarts, you were right!!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Holy cow...I just got home from my first Modern Arnis class. THANK YOU so much for the opportunity, Sensei Frank! You said that you thought that I would like the class...and...you were right! FANTASTIC Class!

Sorry to hear it wasn't in the cards to meet you, HKPhooey. *sigh* I guess I'll just have to come back so I can meet you now, won't I? :D

GREAT school you folks have, and a very interesting art. Already I am seeing commonalities to what I have learned in Kenpo...it was a wonderful experience...and a pretty good workout too

Thank you again! I'm going to be dreaming of sinawalis tonight I think :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad that you had a good time Carol!:ultracool Frank is a great teacher and has alot to offer.

Mike

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You're welcome Carol and welcome to the family!
Andy, stop by for siniwali sometime!

MJS, thank you very much! You all have just brightened my day!!! :)

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bummed I missed ya! Work has been nuts! I am sure Sensei Frank told you I am usually running around with my hair on fire. :)

Hope we will see you at future seminars.

modarnis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like you had a great time. Frank is a great teacher. He is always a cordial host. His students are friendly and helpful. Modern Arnis will expand your kenpo horizons dramatically.

Most of us who teach/train Modern Arnis in the center of Connecticut have a Kenpo background. Neither art is truly complete without the other.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
modarnis said:
Sounds like you had a great time. Frank is a great teacher. He is always a cordial host. His students are friendly and helpful. Modern Arnis will expand your kenpo horizons dramatically.

Most of us who teach/train Modern Arnis in the center of Connecticut have a Kenpo background. Neither art is truly complete without the other.

Thank you and well said about kenpo / arnis. I have found they compliment each other extremely well. Arnis filled many gaps that i felt I previously had in my training.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It really was an incredible class. Sensei Frank paired me with Sifu Jim...who selflessly spent his entire class time trying to teach Arnis to this noob. It was a class that had the feel of a private lesson.

Cromwell Martial Arts...it's an incredible place. The depth of instruction Sensei Frank has in Kenpo and Arnis, the closeness that he has cultivated with the school...the experience was as tremendous as the knowledge.

It's a great family to be part of :D :D

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds like you had an great time!!!

I will say some of the friendliest Modern Arnis players that I have met were from Connecticut and the Greenfield, Mass groups who would travel down to the Professor's Orlando, Fl seminars, hosted by Bruce Chiu.

modarnis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Palusut said:
Sounds like you had an great time!!!

I will say some of the friendliest Modern Arnis players that I have met were from Connecticut and the Greenfield, Mass groups who would travel down to the Professor's Orlando, Fl seminars, hosted by Bruce Chiu.

Wait a minute Harold, I lived in New Orleans back then....

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
modarnis said:
Wait a minute Harold, I lived in New Orleans back then....

You must have been so friendly that Harold thought you were from CT or MA :asian:

Yeti

Black Belt
Reaction score
Carol,
It was definitely great to meet you last night at class. Us Massachusetts transplants have to stick together! Hope to see you again. The more you get into Arnis, the more you realize you can't stop.

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeti said:
Carol,
It was definitely great to meet you last night at class. Us Massachusetts transplants have to stick together! Hope to see you again. The more you get into Arnis, the more you realize you can't stop.

We totally have to STICK together :D :D :D (Bada boom)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
It really was an incredible class. Sensei Frank paired me with Sifu Jim...who selflessly spent his entire class time trying to teach Arnis to this noob. It was a class that had the feel of a private lesson.

Better watch out for Sifu Jim. He loves those joint locks and pressure points!!:)

Seriously though, Jim is a good guy. He takes alot of pride in what he does.

Glad that you had a fun time and learned alot!!:ultracool

Mike

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
Better watch out for Sifu Jim. He loves those joint locks and pressure points!!:)

Seriously though, Jim is a good guy. He takes alot of pride in what he does.

Glad that you had a fun time and learned alot!!:ultracool

Mike

He didn't execute any of the locks...I had him on the receiving end for the whole class. Such a good uke he is. I may pay for that later...LOLOLOL!!! :rofl:

Hey Palusut? If Porsche is the official vehicle of Filipino combatives...how long do I have to wait to receive mine sir? :D :D

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
He didn't execute any of the locks...I had him on the receiving end for the whole class. Such a good uke he is. I may pay for that later...LOLOLOL!!! :rofl:

Hey Palusut? If Porsche is the official vehicle of Filipino combatives...how long do I have to wait to receive mine sir? :D :D

Great question, Carol!

Here is some history:

Filipino Combat Systems is a group founded by Tuhon Ray Dionaldo. There has been a coincidence that several of the instructors and Tuhon Ray have tended to own the same Model of car. The previous Make/Model was the infamous, Toyota Rav4. Therefore the first step is attend a FCS Gathering in Tampa, Fl and hang out with us. You will meet at least four or five MT'ers down there and some MT lurkers. There were pictures of us hanging out in YBor City but they were removed for decency reasons:).

Incidentally, Filipino Combatives is a curriculum that was taught by Hock Hochheim. I think that he doesn't teach it directly now. He has included alot of the Filipino Combatives material in the Pacific Archipelago Combatives program. PAC and Filipino Combatives are based on Remy and Ernesto Presas' Family Style Arnis. It's considered "old school" arnis which concentrate on finishing the opponent as compared to trapping an opponent for an infinite amount of time.

Its cool to train with old school Modern Arnis players, they are "salty dogs"!:)

I don't consider myself old school because I have only been training MA since 98' but I lean that way:).

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Palusut said:
Great question, Carol!

Here is some history:

Filipino Combat Systems is a group founded by Tuhon Ray Dionaldo. There has been a coincidence that several of the instructors and Tuhon Ray have tended to own the same Model of car. The previous Make/Model was the infamous, Toyota Rav4. Therefore the first step is attend a FCS Gathering in Tampa, Fl and hang out with us. You will meet at least four or five MT'ers down there and some MT lurkers. There were pictures of us hanging out in YBor City but they were removed for decency reasons:).

Incidentally, Filipino Combatives is a curriculum that was taught by Hock Hochheim. I think that he doesn't teach it directly now. He has included alot of the Filipino Combatives material in the Pacific Archipelago Combatives program. PAC and Filipino Combatives are based on Remy and Ernesto Presas' Family Style Arnis. It's considered "old school" arnis which concentrate on finishing the opponent as compared to trapping an opponent for an infinite amount of time.

Its cool to train with old school Modern Arnis players, they are "salty dogs"!:)

I don't consider myself old school because I have only been training MA since 98' but I lean that way:).

That sounds like a grand old time. I think I just might indeed have to make my way down there for a gathering :)

Just don't tell anyone how much of a noob I am... :roflmao:

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
That sounds like a grand old time. I think I just might indeed have to make my way down there for a gathering :)

Just don't tell anyone how much of a noob I am... :roflmao:
Ha!!!

We are one of the friendliest groups and there are always newbies who come to the Gatherings.

The one thing that you will hear described about Tuhon Ray and the members of FCS is that we are "cool". We welcome everyone and everyone is welcome to hang out with us, just as long as they are "cool" also and leave the egos at the door.

Latest Discussions