Arnis In The Future

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are many great people passing on the art of Modern Arnis. These people have put in alot of hard work and dedication to passing on this great art to others.

My question is: Where do you envision Modern Arnis in the future years? Will the teaching remain the same or will improvements or innovations be included? Is there anything in the art that you would like to see different?

I have a few thoughts, but would like to hear from others first.

Mike

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think cross training will be the biggest influence on Modern Arnis. As more an more martial artists add arnis (or any FMA) to their training, they will develop/discover some great new ways to look at things.

IMO, The proliferation of Modern Arnis has been the greatest achievement. Thanks to all who have made the extra efforts to get the word out there!

Stan

Green Belt
Reaction score
In the future, I think Modern Arnis will be pretty much the same, except we'll all go to our nightly Modern Arnis class in flying cars.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It will continue to change as its instructors continue to gain new insights and understand more of what the Prof. was talking about! :)
Some of the key elements that make up the core of Arnis should not change such as developing the flow and developing skill with the checking hand, etc..

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just some rough ideas after my one big class :D

I wonder if cross-training will be both a postive and a negative for Modern Arnis?

The positive...Martial Artists that specifically seek out training in Arnis for...whatever they have...and making the most of it.

The negative seems inevitable. Cross-training sometimes leads to blending, and blending can be good or bad. The main issue that I have with blending styles is that the strength of lineage/instruction gets lost.

The class I sat in last night...Sensei Frank demonstrated a set of moves...a couple of locks and a throw...that had a common base of one hand position. I was watching him. I had learned the throw already and thought it would be easy to execute.

But in the class I realized...I recognized throw, I had learned it in June. I parroted what I knew, but what I knew was not all there was to making the throw effective, or using it in a more practical application.

The difference being...I didn't learn the throw the first time from a Kenpo BB that had a BB in Arnis or Ju-Jitsu. I learned it from a Kenpo BB that blended the moves in to his Kenpo. Where did the Kenpo BB learn the throw from? Good question, eh?

The flow of information being what it is...bits and pieces will get blended in to other arts, without mastery, or even documented understanding of the skillset. That isn't a good scenario, but it's not preventable either. Arnis will continue to thrive by means of what propogated the art to begin with - excellent instructors :asian:

How did I do, Sensei? ;)

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
Just some rough ideas after my one big class :D

I wonder if cross-training will be both a postive and a negative for Modern Arnis?

The positive...Martial Artists that specifically seek out training in Arnis for...whatever they have...and making the most of it.

The negative seems inevitable. Cross-training sometimes leads to blending, and blending can be good or bad. The main issue that I have with blending styles is that the strength of lineage/instruction gets lost.

The class I sat in last night...Sensei Frank demonstrated a set of moves...a couple of locks and a throw...that had a common base of one hand position. I was watching him. I had learned the throw already and thought it would be easy to execute.

But in the class I realized...I recognized throw, I had learned it in June. I parroted what I knew, but what I knew was not all there was to making the throw effective, or using it in a more practical application.

The difference being...I didn't learn the throw the first time from a Kenpo BB that had a BB in Arnis or Ju-Jitsu. I learned it from a Kenpo BB that blended the moves in to his Kenpo. Where did the Kenpo BB learn the throw from? Good question, eh?

The flow of information being what it is...bits and pieces will get blended in to other arts, without mastery, or even documented understanding of the skillset. That isn't a good scenario, but it's not preventable either. Arnis will continue to thrive by means of what propogated the art to begin with - excellent instructors :asian:

How did I do, Sensei? ;)

Nice!
You can learn so many ways to get into the throw, and yet like Prof. used to say "it's all the same"
I will show you what i mean next class! :)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Stan said:
In the future, I think Modern Arnis will be pretty much the same, except we'll all go to our nightly Modern Arnis class in flying cars.

Now THAT would take the sting out of the North Shore-to-Cromwell trip! :D :D :D

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really appreciate what Tuhon Ray Dionaldo has added in terms of his interpretation. The nuances that he has added with various other aspects shed a different light on Modern Arnis concepts. Most people don't know that one of the base influences of FCS is Modern Arnis.

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Modern Arnis is a blend art though, so naturally a lot of the moves one sees will seem familar because said move will have been created out of influence of another art. If that makes sense. Also a lot of the moves can be executed many different ways which is the beauty behind Modern Arnis. It allows for one to find what works best for them to achieve the move (thus resulting in a more personal and fulfilling experience, IMO) instead of being restricted to only one way.

What do I see for the future of Modern Arnis? I see it expanding and growing. People are becoming more aware of this art and I think it will definitly grow as a result.

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
There is a real tension between the desire to preserve or evolve the art. I know it must evolve...but I also like to see traditions preserved!

Can't see that there is no real tension. No group has any influence on another group. There is no group that other groups emulate. Everyone seems very independent to me.

From a personal perspective, again, I like that Modern Arnis is a core system of mine. It has evolved however, because of the Kung-fu, Tai Chi, a little Silat, FCS, SFC, and other influences to something slightly different.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Palusut said:
Can't see that there is no real tension. No group has any influence on another group.

I didn't mean between groups. In every org., I imagine that there are people who would like to preserve the Professor's teachings as they are, and others who want to evolve the art as he did...and that most people are somewhere in the middle. I don't like the anyos...but I also would not like to see them forgotten. If we change the art too much, does it stop being Modern Arnis at some point? There's always a tension between tradition and change.

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I don't like the anyos...but I also would not like to see them forgotten.
That's very interesting! I know a good bit of people seem to not like the anyos (for various arts, not just Modern Arnis), for me it's one of my very favorite things to do. I love the flow of them. I also like that you can go at your own pace, which gives me a chance to work on my technique and really understand the move and become one with it. :asian:

To me, I think there is a large difference between evolving and change. When something evolves, the core or base is still there and it's able to be seen. The history remains, which IMO, is very important. When something changes, the core/base is lost and then forgotten.

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I didn't mean between groups. In every org., I imagine that there are people who would like to preserve the Professor's teachings as they are, and others who want to evolve the art as he did...and that most people are somewhere in the middle. I don't like the anyos...but I also would not like to see them forgotten. If we change the art too much, does it stop being Modern Arnis at some point? There's always a tension between tradition and change.
Got you!

I personally do not like the empty-hand forms but prefer the cane forms. I trust that my other Modern Arnis brothers and sisters preserve the empty-hand forms. I have preserved my version via Tim Hartman's anyo vcd myself:).

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Palusut said:
Got you!

I personally do not like the empty-hand forms but prefer the cane forms. I trust that my other Modern Arnis brothers and sisters preserve the empty-hand forms. I have preserved my version via Tim Hartman's anyo vcd myself:).

LOL! I am the opposite. I prefer the emptyhand forms although the stick forms have their uses too!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
stickarts said:
LOL! I am the opposite. I prefer the emptyhand forms although the stick forms have their uses too!

I'm with Palusut on this one. I do like the cane forms but not the empty-hand forms, and I preserve those in a DVD on my martial arts bookshelf.

I liked kata when I did Karate, but as I discussed here, I just don't think the anyos are a good 'fit' for Modern Arnis. It's an example of something I would likely leave out in a future version...though I hate to see such a loss of historical Modern Arnis.

modarnis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
There needs to be some balance between evolving and preserving for there to be any future progress to Modern Arnis. In Professor's absence, what he already gave us needs to be preserved to some degree to provide a foundation for newer practitioners. That preserved material also serves as a handy reference point for our own growth and evolution as teachers and students of the art.

As I have said in other posts, on other threads, we will not be able to easily duplicate Professor's evolution through the arts for a variety of reasons. Suffice for this thread, much of his learning was from the school of hard knocks, something that in the present, I could not recreate. He did provide for us a wealth of information the material he did leave with us. The challenge is to unpack the material in a meaningful way to grow our own arts.

Either extreme, too much tradition or too much evolution leaves problems. The former is often evidenced in the "that's not on the tape or in the curriculum mentality" so I won't try anything new or bother to grow. In the latter, "I'll do my own thing, so much so that it ain't even Modern Arnis" extremes aren't useful for the art either.

Professor wanted people to make his art their own. For instructors, he expected that people were going to work with the material and grow as martial artists and individuals. No real secret to developing higher understsanding of Modern Arnis. Practice, apply, test, rework, reapply, modify or whatever until you get it right. I will use diving throw as an example. I've done it lots of times in the past 12 years. In the last year or so with training with a tai chi master, I have a heightened understanding of why it works and how to prevent someone from countering it. In the end, its still Modern Arnis.

If people would follow 3 pieces of advice professor gave me early on when working the existing material, the art will continue to evolve. 1. make it slow 2. make more relax and 3. practice. Through those 3 principals comes innovation

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I'm with Palusut on this one. I do like the cane forms but not the empty-hand forms, and I preserve those in a DVD on my martial arts bookshelf.

I liked kata when I did Karate, but as I discussed here, I just don't think the anyos are a good 'fit' for Modern Arnis. It's an example of something I would likely leave out in a future version...though I hate to see such a loss of historical Modern Arnis.

The prof. had told me that much of the art was "locked in the forms" so i made sure to memorize them. I agree not all of the moves seem like a great fit but he made a point of reviewing my anyos on a regular basis so I made it a point to be ready for his reviews! :)

Latest Discussions