Mr.Calkins

Status
Not open for further replies.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
This is not on a personal level, and I never said I “hated” anyone. Please don’t try to put a different motivation into my posts that is not my own. Usually if I dislike someone or think they are full of crap or an idiot and just aren’t worth the time or effort I put them on my ignore list. To date only two people have been put on that list.
Folks commented on various things they saw on Calkins websiteÂ….his Klingon battle sword, bogus certificates, etc.
As was stated before someone mentioned most if not all people that claim to be a “Soke” have big guts and are overweight.
Well I'm glad to hear this is not personal, you know I can only try to read into a post what is interpated by me. Sorry if I mis quated you, I understand your feeling about bogus claims, I feel the same way.peace be with you my MA brother.
Terry Lee Stoker

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Well I'm glad to hear this is not personal, you know I can only try to read into a post what is interpated by me. Sorry if I mis quated you, I understand your feeling about bogus claims, I feel the same way.peace be with you my MA brother.
Terry Lee Stoker
Like I said, he must have gotten scared by such claim over-bearers.

He tends to be a little forward thus casting less compassion.

I have yet to see him say something with a polite tone or constructive to Bruce.

But heck, he has "toned" down some.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
I often wondered on how languages change the moment they mix or become apart from others of the same.

My current Chnese instructor, only via coercing tells me Mandarin, but when I try to use it at a local Chinese restaurant, they look at me strange. (NOTE-not words used in martial arts, just general structures). These other Chinese have stated that certain families start their own versions what would be considered as slang. One guy told me it is something like Northen verse Southern speaking in the US. Words are understtod, but pronounciation and structure is altered.

My question to you, Sean, have you come across such inconsistancies with Chinese language?
I dunno about the North v. South in the US as an accurate comparison. They speak different dialects to the point of them being separate languages.
Sure the dialect/regional inflections/toning/etc... will be different (native from New Orleans & one from New Jersey) but the words & language is the same (English). But in Guangdong or Fujian or Shanghai, etc.... where they have their own languages separate from the Putongua of Beijing... that can't really be classified as a dialect difference between Northern & Southern US states.

I've dealt with dialect differences between people in my training from different parts of Northern China (Bejing v Henan) & Southern China (Guangzhou v Sei Yap), but it was easy enough to overcome. Keep in mind... my Chinese (Mandarin & Cantonese) is really only enough to get me food, a beer & the bathroom... and around a mo gwoon. The majority of people I met on the mainland spoke English & were more than happy to speak English so they could practice their English & I wouldn't butcher their language with my feeble skills & Southern drawl.

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
Folks commented on various things they saw on Calkins websiteÂ….his Klingon battle sword, bogus certificates, etc.
1) Yes I do have Klingon Swords in the Dojo. I have made them to the specks I got from a Group called "Crossed Swords". They were the ones that trained the fokes from Star Trek, Highlander and several other Movies. They are a top Movie Sword team.. A Husband & Wife team. I met them at a Convention I was working. I was the Personal Guard for Micheal Dorn while he was in Richester. I had made a Klingon Sword out of Plywood and brought it with me I was going to get it Autographed by Mike Dorn.. (Which he not only did but he took it on stage and was showing off with it before he signed it right on the stage.) I like Weapons of all kinds and am very proficient with them. Sensei Koch calls me his personal Weapons master... Jokeingly... When ever he has a weapon he is teaching he likes to have me there to demo it. :) The Klingon Sword has many uses. It is like a Blend of a Staff and a Sword. I even offer some of my students the chance to learn it. It is fun and different. Cross Swords certified me after they worked with me at the convention... I thought it was cute that they made up a paper certificate and signed it saying I was a Bat'leth Master.... I don't take it to heart I know it was a joke and No I do Not Claim to be a Master in All weapons... I do not think someone can ever master something... everything we do can get better any time you do it.

2) And Again... YES I DO HAVE SOME REPRINTS OF CERTIFICATES... I have said that over the years of my travel some were lost and others not in good shape. Lei Tai Soong's , Tamio Kamura's, David Masons,,, The One From Ryu-Kai, and My Teaching License from David Mason.. And others are not Computer re-generates.... Only David Frost's... And I explained that was lost or distroyed in travel.... Why are all the others Fake.. They are Hand Signed by the instructors? and dated.

I think you are just looking for things to complain about.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's cool about bodyguarding Michael Dorn!

I gotta ask...why the changing font sizes in your posts?

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
BruceCalkins said:
I think you are just looking for things to complain about.
I am just looking for something to complain about?? I donÂ’t think so. I didnÂ’t invite you here to post, Your comments caught my attention and like any other member I am free to post my thoughtsÂ…Â…and do so. It seems I am not alone since there are about 3 or 4 threads dedicated to you. Most of them are started by people who are asking you fairly simple questions most of which you balk at answering.

I will come out straight and tell you I can not and will not respect your claims to ranks or titles. Mostly because of where they have come fromÂ…..the Soke one particularly. Your definition of certain words in a language I happen to be quite fluent in are at best incorrect.

I have seen your type all over the Internet. You claim all sorts of things then when asked to supply some sort of corroboration for your claims you supply some whacked out answer that is obviously bogus to anyone over the age of 10, then when you are called out on that you become indignent and defensive claiming you are legit, and you have had years of training to justify it, then when one looks at your training they can see it is a hodge podge of a little here a little thereÂ…Â…..just a lot of littleÂ….nothing more.

Getting ranked via the internet and video tapes by people that donÂ’t know youÂ…Â…Â….give me a break.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
RRouuselot, I competely understand your fustration but why do you let this get you so far down on a personal level did this man do something to harm you or a family member or maybe a student of your. I'm not trying to get you madd just trying to understand your hated mentallity towards this man. I have always enjoyed your post and your heart warmed comments you speak with such passion about your Art and your training. Can you please explain to me, maybe PM me if you wish.
Terry Lee Stoker
Twin Dragons MAS

I think that if you look at the early posting history of Bruce Calkins you may understand why he got off to a bad start with Robert. When Robert told him his use of the term "soke" was wrong, Bruce started by saying that Robert was wrong. Heck, Bruce said everyone else here was wrong and he was right. For that matter, it has been a pattern we have seen that several people will tell Bruce that he is incorrect but he will refuse to budge and says everyone else is wrong. Take a look at just the way he reacted to the idea that his use of the term "mentor" was wrong.

Now I work with kids from first to ninth grade every week. So when I get arguments from ignorant people my reaction is that they are just kids and to not take it too personal. But Robert has a real job and trains in a hard core, Japanese style dojo. A person like Bruce would never dare contridict those that know more than him in the reality that Robert lives and trains in. Bruce's behavior from a Japanese viewpoint would cause him to be tossed out of the dojo on his ear.

Think about it for a second. If you were Bruce and met someone like Robert who knows easily ten times more than he probably ever will about martial arts you would be pleased and ask respectfull questions. In those situations, Robert is pretty damn helpfull. But when every last correction he offers Bruce is argued over and Bruce makes nasty comments about him, you can imagine how the kid gloves could come off.

Robert is very willing to help those that know very little about the martial arts to expand their knowledge. But unless Bruce shows the proper attitude for one in his position and a willingness to learn and stop arguing over every little thing, there is not much Robert or the rest of us can do to teach him what he should know.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
I am just looking for something to complain about?? I donÂ’t think so. I didnÂ’t invite you here to post, Your comments caught my attention and like any other member I am free to post my thoughtsÂ…Â…and do so. It seems I am not alone since there are about 3 or 4 threads dedicated to you. Most of them are started by people who are asking you fairly simple questions most of which you balk at answering.
Well, he's putting in a better effort than Rick Tew did, you have to give him that.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
BruceCalkins said:
Do you just read what you want and forget the rest. I said that I was being watch for weight and my Dr. Said I did not need to Lose any weight. I'm not over weight it is the way I am built. I have a Low Body Fat but Size and Girth to Height is my BMI and that is high. I have 29' thighs and a 36 waist but w 54 chest and I am 5'6"
I'm gonna say here, that there's a fellow on the Lab's Special Response Team (that's a real security professional, not some flashlight cop) who's a bit vertically challenged.

Hell, Mike's round as a beachball, but he can run flat out for more than 3 miles, and he's over 50 years old. Girth is not necessarily indicative of conditioning or what sort of shape or strength a person has....though it usually is. Having said that...Bruce,you, just like my friend Mike, are fat. I'm 6'2", have a 34 inch waist, a 52 inch chest, 18 1/2 inch arms and 32 inch thighs (climb a lot of hills, I do)...I am, by all accounts, in great shape, and really strong...but, at 230 lbs and 15% body fat I have a high BMI, which technically makes me fat..you, on the other hand, seem to me to be carrying evidence around your waist of slow suicide by fork-or beer-can, or both.

Oh, and I don't think "gingasa" is a Tibetan name. Certainly not one for a temple. I also can't imagine Iron Shirt chi gung being called "Toad Kung Fu," except by someone who was enamored with The Five Deadly Venoms.:rolleyes:

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
elder999 said:
Having said that...Bruce,you, just like my friend Mike, are fat. I'm 6'2", have a 34 inch waist, a 52 inch chest, 18 1/2 inch arms and 32 inch thighs (climb a lot of hills, I do)...I am, by all accounts, in great shape, and really strong...but, at 230 lbs and 15% body fat I have a high BMI, which technically makes me fat..you, on the other hand, seem to me to be carrying evidence around your waist of slow suicide by fork-or beer-can, or both.
I am not sure what your age is but according to the book on my desk written by The Cooper Institute if you are over 29 years old and at 15% body fat that is “excellent”.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
I am not sure what your age is but according to the book on my desk written by The Cooper Institute if you are over 29 years old and at 15% body fat that is “excellent”.
Yeah .I'm really more like 6'1" (and 1/2"-my license says, 6'2", but-at 45 I actually have shrunk a little)....my bodyfat right now is probably more like 18%, and still "excellent," and I'm still, based on my BMI , and according ot the"standards" used by the insurance industry, etc.,etc.:"obese."

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
1.) I think that if you look at the early posting history of Bruce Calkins you may understand why he got off to a bad start with Robert. When Robert told him his use of the term "soke" was wrong, Bruce started by saying that Robert was wrong. Heck, Bruce said everyone else here was wrong and he was right. For that matter, it has been a pattern we have seen that several people will tell Bruce that he is incorrect but he will refuse to budge and says everyone else is wrong. Take a look at just the way he reacted to the idea that his use of the term "mentor" was wrong.

2.) Now I work with kids from first to ninth grade every week. So when I get arguments from ignorant people my reaction is that they are just kids and to not take it too personal. But Robert has a real job and trains in a hard core, Japanese style dojo. A person like Bruce would never dare contridict those that know more than him in the reality that Robert lives and trains in. Bruce's behavior from a Japanese viewpoint would cause him to be tossed out of the dojo on his ear.

3.) Think about it for a second. If you were Bruce and met someone like Robert who knows easily ten times more than he probably ever will about martial arts you would be pleased and ask respectfull questions. In those situations, Robert is pretty damn helpfull. But when every last correction he offers Bruce is argued over and Bruce makes nasty comments about him, you can imagine how the kid gloves could come off.

4.) Robert is very willing to help those that know very little about the martial arts to expand their knowledge. But unless Bruce shows the proper attitude for one in his position and a willingness to learn and stop arguing over every little thing, there is not much Robert or the rest of us can do to teach him what he should know.
1.) Because people who have been lead to believe something or have been conned for so long, find the hardest time to admit incorrections.

2.) True. I will continue to say, that Bruce has to now learn and adjust if he can set aside his ego. Which changing his member name is a good start.

3.) I agree Robert can be helpful. Provided that he doesnt take the debunking, bashing tonement. He can be a little more polite and more compassionate if he is going to correct someone like Bruce. He had tried his interrogation on me, to a point I had almost returned impolite posts, but went back and edited. Not to mention many rude emails he had personally sent.

4.) True. But all of this is explained per 1., 2., & 3.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
1.) Because people who have been lead to believe something or have been conned for so long, find the hardest time to admit incorrections.

I find it difficult to believe that Bruce has been conned about the definition of the term "Mentor." I think the reason for his never reaching a level of understanding of martial arts that a six month student has is in his basic charecter flaw of requiring the esteem of others to the point where he can't admit mistakes and learn from them.

But if he can put aside the problems of his ego and admit just how little he knows, that would be the point where he would open up to what others here can teach him and start to finally grow.

Otherwise we will be faced with seeing the rather sad sight of a person wandering in the dark, never to grow and learn. I do not want that to happen if I can help it. But I can't help Bruce if he will not set aside the ego that has stopped him from reaching a level of competence in the subject matter so far.

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
I find it difficult to believe that Bruce has been conned about the definition of the term "Mentor." I think the reason for his never reaching a level of understanding of martial arts that a six month student has is in his basic charecter flaw of requiring the esteem of others to the point where he can't admit mistakes and learn from them.

I do understand the difference. I admitted I used it in a wrong light I have always believed that a Mentor was someing that inspired you whather in person or from a didsance. I see the difference and I would reply that the men I spoke of before.."Inspoied me not Mentored me."

But if he can put aside the problems of his ego and admit just how little he knows, that would be the point where he would open up to what others here can teach him and start to finally grow.
Otherwise we will be faced with seeing the rather sad sight of a person wandering in the dark, never to grow and learn. I do not want that to happen if I can help it. But I can't help Bruce if he will not set aside the ego that has stopped him from reaching a level of competence in the subject matter so far.
I would like to say I have no Ego But that would be having one. I don't believe standing up for ones self or defending one beliefs is ego. I have always had an open mind for ideas, Ideals and training. That is why I have always had an open door policy and did multi training To expand and learn. When I got in this forum I was not given a chance because of a title. I was bashed and disbelieved from the start. There were comments about my size and even some very rude remarks made about my wifes picture in my web site. I felt it was not fair and I bit back. It is very hard for me to post. I believe in what I do and everyone that has ever met me "IN PERSON" seems to like what I have to offer and I have been told that I am very well versed in the different arts. By many instructors. I have several top local instructors that like to come to my school to share and have me come to their schools to share. If I was so bad as this forum states why do these Instructors keep asking me to teach at their school or do seminars for them... They have met me and worked with me.. They know Me.. Not my typeing... {Which by the was Sucks}. Please forgive me if my defenciveness sounded like Ego.. It truly was not ment to.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well Bruce,

I'm going to add this and then honestly leave the issue of Soke Calkins alone once and for all. This is in no way an attack, just my observation. You've made your claims and I've formed my opinion. That's all it is. My opinion. Take it or leave it as you see fit. It is in no way meant to harsh, just fairly blunt as that's my nature.

1. I don't believe you've studied MA's for 37 years. I do believe you have studied MA's over a period of 37 years.

2. You're over weight. That doesn't mean you're not powerful or don't have the ability to move. But you're over weight.

3. I believe that you have the ability to teach people how to defend themselves. I don't believe you have mastered enough of any art to combine "the best" of each into a system uniquely your own.

4. You're website is meant to entice the ignorant to your dojo. This is America, and people do it all the time. Take advantage of ignorance for personal gain. No crime. That's what Salesmen do, regardless of what they're selling. But what most people don't do is try to bring the same garbage they sell to the ignorant masses to those who excel in the knowledge of the arts. Just what did you think was going to happen? I don't envy your position, but nor would I have done what you tried to do. So it's your bed, you sleep in it. People develop web sites to attract an audience. On any web site, one puts their best foot forward. It's their best chance to make as good of an impression as possible. Nobody "just slaps" stuff up there. I believe you have done just that. Put your best up there. Your best leads me to the following.

5. Action shots. Action shots and poses are two different things. Your site offers Soke Calkins posing, nothing more. Call it what it is.

6. Weapons. My personal pet peeve because of the additional danger involved in claiming not only the ability to be proficient, but to teach. The horror! When I addressed you regarding the "pose" of the dragon sword, I was in my rights to do so. Even if you thought what I said was absurd. If it's a pose of a sword presented by a student, they just say so. (To date, it still doesn't), but don't put it under "Action shots". You're sending two very different messages and still try to defend it.

7. Your Step father. Small issue at face value, but indicative of what you're doing. On your site, you claim he played major league ball. In a post response, you claimed he played in the majors and minors. In my own research, I found he only played in the minors. If I'm wrong, just prove it otherwise. Here's what gets me. Anyone who has ever played AAA ball is nothing short of a phenominal ball player in their own right. It an amazing acheivement. Why can't that be good enough for you? Why do you have to make him out to be more than he is, when what he is, is already nothing short of a tremendous ball player. Man, if I'm wrong about anything, I hope you can prove me wrong about this.

You just seem to have a need to embellish everything. It makes the otherwise believable into something that raises red flags. IMO, if you had just come to this site, claiming reality and left all the bells and whistles crap behind, you would have been welcomed with open arms instead of being raked over the coals. You continue to hold to your claims, without convincing anyone of any of it, and just won't let go. Until you do, Bruce, you can't tell people what they can and cannot think about you. I think you'd be a worthy story in your own right if you just brought yourself back to reality.

Please take this as the constructive criticism it's meant to be.

Regards,

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Fake certificates, bogus lineages, false claims, outrageous statements (Leg press 1,400 pounds 15times?) shaky grasp on martial technique. And yet we worry that Bruce has been conned? Don't bother looking the chicken coop folks, the fox has already gotten inside!!

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BruceCalkins said:
Please forgive me if my defenciveness sounded like Ego.. It truly was not ment to.

If it sounds like ego, it probably is. That is the scary part about things like ego. You believe one thing and are really doing something else.

So if you could only set aside your need to talk about how good you are and admit that you know next to nothing about martial arts you then might start to learn. Until you stop trying to tell us how much you have learned, we can't help you. It should not take three or more people posting before you admit even a simple thing like the definition of the term mentor is not as you used it.

We want to help people like you that know so little about the martial arts. It is out duty to repay the kindness those have shown us by teaching us to help people like you who are lost in the woods without a clue as to get out and into the light. But we can't help you unless you start to show the proper attitude that will let us in.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
If it sounds like ego, it probably is. That is the scary part about things like ego. You believe one thing and are really doing something else.

1) So if you could only set aside your need to talk about how good you are and admit that you know next to nothing about martial arts you then might start to learn. Until you stop trying to tell us how much you have learned, we can't help you.

2) It should not take three or more people posting before you admit even a simple thing like the definition of the term mentor is not as you used it.

3) We want to help people like you that know so little about the martial arts. It is out duty to repay the kindness those have shown us by teaching us to help people like you who are lost in the woods without a clue as to get out and into the light. But we can't help you unless you start to show the proper attitude that will let us in.
1)It will never happen since he has already set up shop and presented himself has someone who is supposed to have knowledgeÂ…..coming down from an ego that high up could be fatal.

2)Mentor, Soke, etcÂ…. I certainly donÂ’t speak Arabic nor would I argue the finer points of an Arabic word with someone who lives in that country. Talk about an EGO!

3)I love it when folks with an ego like Bruce’s come to my dojo to “check me out”. I let them go through their gambit of showing all their techniques…….most if not all never work. Then when nothing their bloated rank has to offer works they can lose the ego and train. Until then they seem to like to walk around and sniff “their own brand” as Fat Bastard so eloquently put it.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well we all have are opion about Bruce, mine is sad, the man talks alot about MA and that is good for we as a society need all the help we can mustard up for MA with all the bad press that has been out there over the years, even my Art of TKD has some pretty outlandish claims of how they where 1st Dan leaving the Airport and Master when they arrived. I have somed up my feelings about his claims and I'll keep them to myself, but before I leave this thread I have one simple request Bruce look deep inside your soul and ask yourself if I was in a dark ally with 5 guys looking like gorilla's what would I do and would my system work with reality. Please take care of yourself and please keep your students happy with there training. Maybe I'll see you at MT camp trying to figure out the tournament schedule so I can work it in. I hope to see everybody there.GOD BLESS AMERICA this day and forever.

Terry Lee Stoker

Status
Not open for further replies.