BRUCE CALKINS & US MARINE CORP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not a Marine, but from some close Marine associates ahhhhh.........NO.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My father was in for 38 years retired never heard of it probaly not true, I'll check with some old Marines if they have ever heard about it or not.

TonyU

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was down there in '84. Granted I was doing my basic training but I don't recall such a thing, but then again I was too busy trying to stay out of trouble.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
"self-defense school"????
worked with them?? maybe as a cook???
Hey...not a joking matter...

We saw what military cooks could do in Under Siege with Steven Seagal....:ultracool

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Guys,
Just saying that no one seems to have never heard of what Bruce claims is not enough. There will always be people who say that just because they can't prove what they say, that what they say must be treated as fact unless someone can actively prove otherwise.

So, unless you can prove that there was no such thing as a USMC self defense school, we will just see the same arguments that have gone on since Bruce started making his numerous claims.

Instead of sitting around talking about how you think he is lying, how about contacting the USMC, the base it was on, etc and actually see if you can get a denial.

Also, if Bruce wants to be taken seriously, he should help with the uncovering of the facts. There is a thread in the Horror Stories section about checking the claims of those in the military. Bruce should give some information to help with the search IF he was telling the truth. If things work out, there may be a bit more respect for him. But if he dodges the question, there will be even more howls of people who think him a fraud and we don't want that.

I am rather disturbed that Bruce stopped by after this thread was started and responded to another, but seems to be ignoring this one. We can't help it if his silence after he made a posting so much leads people to treat him as if he is making up another story. Especially since his web page says nothing about military service, let alone teaching self defense while in the military. There is a big gap in his story from 1976 (the time he says he trained with the ninja sensei that no one in Japan seems to have heard about) to 1994.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My co-worker is a former USMC Combatives Instructor, Camp Fuji/29 Palms/Okinawa/Paris Island; he says he has never heard of such a “school”. Kind of makes me wonder what exactly “MR” Calkins is talking about.

more smoke and mirrors I guess

OP
Akashiro Tamaya

Akashiro Tamaya

Green Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
So, unless you can prove that there was no such thing as a USMC self defense school, we will just see the same arguments that have gone on since Bruce started making his numerous claims.

Instead of sitting around talking about how you think he is lying, how about contacting the USMC, the base it was on, etc and actually see if you can get a denial.

Don, what started as a simply inquiry now pretty much bacame the Trial of Bruce Calkins. Bruce has become the defendant on this matter. In the court of Law, the allegation against Bruce has been established not just by you but almost everyone else. In other words, we pretty much met our burden of proof. Defendant Bruce Calkins now has to refute all the allegation with his Burden of Proof. Correct me if I am wrong. In fact several members who has posted has made their "Closing Statement" This thread has gone in circles with Bruce coming up with more questionable responses.

I don't mind doing it, but I am not a marine so who do we contact ?

Tripitaka of AA

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
"I was in The USMC for my 4 years and worked with the USMC Self Defense School on Parris Island 80-84" Quotation from Bruce, my italics.

I have worked with my local Police Force on several occasions, discussing unarmed responce tactics and arrest procedures;
"Hi, PC Fred. Caught any miscreants lately?"
"Good evening Dave. Nabbed one tonight actually."
"Did he put up a fight?"
"Nah, he just gave us a knife and then tripped over his belly".

Working "with" can be a lot of things... Army Cook would be a pretty good title if only people didn't pretend to be something else.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But if the group he says he worked with does not exist (show of hands that believes that it does) then the use of term does not matter at all, does it?

Robert Carver

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was in the Corps from 79-92 and went through boot camp at MCRD San Diego just prior to Mr. Calkins' supposed stint in my Corps. Naturally I was interested in learning a little more about the close combat the Marine Corps taught while I was in since I was already a martial artist. I learned from my inquiries and personal experience that the close combat program in the Corps was quite limited at that time. When I was in boot camp, we learned three throws (O Goshi, O Soto Gari and Ippon Seoi Nage) and the use of the bayonet. Later in the late 80's, the Marine Corps adapted the LINE program which expanded the close combat curriculum. As far as "self defense" at Parris Island or for that matter, anywhere in the Marine Corps, not very likely. First, there was not formal school for "Self Defense" or close combat during the time that Mr. Calkins claims. Only places that the Marine Corps taught close combat of any type was at Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island and San Diego, and at the Office Candidate School at Quantico (and specialized schools like the Marine Security Force school). Like I said, not a formar school, but simply a part of the Recruit/Officer training units on those bases. Instructors were ALL Drill Instructors who had already lead several platoons and they were sent to teach other things to recruits in order to give them a break from the pace of being with a platoon. When I was stationed at Parris Island from 85-89, I taught a Karate class for the base MWR and got to know most of the close combat instructors on the base. Every single one was a Drill Instructor.

As an aside, if Mr. Calkins was in the Corps from 80-84, it is a safe bet that he did not remain at Parris Island to be a Drill Instructor or to teach close combat. He would have been too junior to have attended Drill Instructor school and the only folks that get stationed at PI following their MOS school are those like support related MOSs like cooks, administrators, motor transport and the like.

Mr. Calkins should really learn that the more he types on his keyboard, the deeper the grave he digs for himself.

Mr. Calkins, please produce a copy of your DD-214. If you are not comfortable in posting it publically, you can send me a copy, I will remove any confidential information (like SSN) and post it for everyone to see. Otherwise, cease claiming that you earned the right to be called a Marine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions