Most Moviegoers Don't Agree With the Critics...

Mariachi Joe

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You're certainly right about the decline in 'comedy' films, MA. Other than 'Bill & Ted' or 'Waynes World', which were entertaining rather than comedic, I too have to think back to films of yesteryear to find one that makes me laugh - a noteable exception, oddly, was 'Kung Fu Hustle' which had me chortling in places.

I thought Shaoling Soccer was really good too.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Kreth, sounds like my missus will be happy enough then :D.

@Mariachi, yes, I'd heard that 'Shaolin Soccer' was supposed to be a fun movie. I was put off by the premise (I generally like my MA films 'serious') but enough people have said it's worth a watch that my prejudice is waning :).

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I thought Shaoling Soccer was really good too.

I LOVED Shaolin Soccer —thought it was definitely one of the funniest movies of all time. Kung Fu Hustle was funny too, but there was a kind of lunatic logic to Shaolin Soccer that almost nothing I've seen before does nearly as well... absolutely one of a (very good!) kind...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think critics care about writing...which is what I care about the most. I don't bloody care whether a film is "important" or a "must see", I care about whether it's a good story or not.

That being said...the pecs, leather Speedos, and manly men didn't hurt a bit, either ;)

Latest Discussions